Author Topic: Walmart Black Series 3.75" AT-ST Walker w/Driver  (Read 53244 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart Black Series 3.75" AT-ST Walker w/Driver
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I've seen these twice, and it's typically the only Hasbro Star Wars item in stock at my local WMs. But has anyone actually picked one up? I'm still interested in seeing if they fixed the leg issues.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 03:51 PM »
Can you put the tutorial here?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 04:09 PM »
I will Matt, I just am not well right now and gotta dig it out n stuff.  Not doing much computer stuff at the moment.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 04:15 PM »
No worries dude....get to it when you can!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 04:22 PM »
Jesse, I still had the message so I forwarded it to Matt.  Get well!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 04:25 PM »
I appreciate that Guys, and the forwarding of that.  Essentially it's jamming an external lock washer into the space of the weak joint.  Creates tension necessary to stand without altering the toy.

Appreciate the thought guys.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:25 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2017, 04:49 PM »
Jesse's Fix instructions:

Ironically right after I took some quick new pics, I found all the oldies. :P

Anyway, you get the new.  I need to rewrite the old article and add to it I suppose.  Onto the details...

First, you need a few tools...  A SMALL philips head screwdriver, and pin-type tool that's thin enough to fit a hole smaller than your screwdriver's diameter but firm enough to push on without bending.  I used a small dental pick tool I have around for customizing.  An awl or even a finishing nail would work.

Next, this is the pose I go with on my AT-ST's because this is actually film-accurate, gives the vehicle the right height, etc.  Some delicacy is involved but mine hold their pose even with 2 troopers inside, or even Chewie and the Ewoks.

This closer side-shot helps show how the hip and upper leg joints line-up incase you're curious how mine are standing.

Also, you need TWO 5/16 Internal Lock Washers...  Pictured here.  These fit the best I've found, and create some extra pressure in the joint we're trying to tighten up.  I bought a set of lock wasters from Harbor Freight for like $2 or $3 in a big assortment, but you could get 2 individuals at Lowes or whatever.  Cheap stuff.

This is the joint we're working on...  It's the lower leg section's highest joint, where it connects to the mid-leg section.

This is the screw to remove...  The screw goes into a pin, which fits very specifically into the leg.  We'll talk about the pin's removal and replacement in a second as it is the only trickier part, or rather it can be.

Once the screw's out, take the "pick" tool (nail, whatever) and it must fit inside that screw hole.  You don't want something too thick because you don't want to widen that hole or you'll strip it or at the very least make it not fit the screw that just came out as well.

You push the tool into that hole so it pushes the pin out the other side...  Sometimes the pins come easy, sometimes not so easy.  When it's out, the lower leg will slide right out of the mid-leg portion so be careful not to drop it and lose parts.

Note the pin coming out of the opposite side.

Here, you see it dismantled...  notice that on the inside of the lower let piece, there is a specifically cut "disc" of sorts.  Leave it in, just like it is.  The pin has to line up on that disc exactly.  It's not a huge issue if it falls out, you'll probably easily figure out how it goes back in when lining up the leg parts, however it's the one area that might confuse you if the parts fall apart I think.  You can see in the picture just how they go, and how the leg pieces were posed when I took it apart as well, as a guide incase you need it.

Now, in this final picture you see me lining the washer up with the hole...  It's a snug fit (that's the point) and when you slide the lower leg back into the middle leg portion, the washer has to fit in the slight gap between them.  It strengthens this joint, which is a joint I never really use much anyway, with a little tension.

I can, however, still move the joint I've noticed, with no issues...  It's really not a big deal.  I'm sure I could probably make more permanent fixes but I just haven't.

Once the washer is in, put the pin back in, lined up exactly how it needs to, to fit into the lower-leg's little disc piece, and then just reattach the screw, and it's good to go.

That said, other people have mentioned issues with the "hips", if you will.  this is the little arm that connects the main body portion to the legs...  That, I have another fix for, if you have problems with this joint.  It's weaker plastic there for sure.

If you guys are having any issues hit me up, and I'll try to help out as best I can. 

I'd be lying if I said this thing still isn't capable of falling forward easily if it's bumped.  Honestly I think some weights in the feet would do it wonders.  It's just a top-heavy vehicle.  Not a very practical design by the Empire. :P  Mine are standing pretty well though, and I hope to fix the "hip" issue soon.

The AT-TE had a similar issue, and fix, where you could put PVC pipe into a hole to create better tension on the joint within the leg.  The AT-ST is the same basic issue at the hip, though I don't find that problem to come up too often.  It could be fixed with small styrene rods though, or small metal all-thread or something.

If you have hip issues with them let me know and I'll try strengthening one of mine and snap some pics of what I did.

Sorry to be chatty guys, just wanted to be thorough for you!

This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Swap out internal lock washer with an external.  It basically looks like a cog or gear.  I find that it grips better.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lock-Washer-External-Tooth-410-SS-Plain-Fits-4-Bolts-OD-0.260-In.-PK100/41034180?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222228028590677&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=61289881929&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-96915328329&wl5=1025012&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=41034180&wl13=&veh=sem

Basically this but the same or similar size mentioned in the article.  The internal one worked in too tho but I like the external ones better I think.

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Once you fix the Kmart ones ability to stand I think it's the best deco personally
Yes, except the feet. Way to "muddy". Made it look more like it had been on Dagobah than Endor.

But has anyone actually picked one up? I'm still interested in seeing if they fixed the leg issues.
I've had the one I got 3 weeks ago standing since then and haven't had any problems with the legs.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Actually if you look at the models the atsts feet are pretty caked in mud and foliage.  I'm not gonna say Hasbros work was impeccable there but the feet of the walkers are actualky muddy.  The WM walkers, both eras, just look dusty or like likght surface rust. 

I have the Hoth walker which isn't accurate but the deco is kinda nice for the setting...  just the walker isn't correct is all.

Never saw the Endor one from the multi pack.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Once you fix the Kmart ones ability to stand I think it's the best deco personally. 
Can you point me in the right direction on this?  I have a KM version and it will not stand.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2017, 01:59 PM »
They posted the instructions above Jim.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Never saw the Endor one from the multi pack.

Pretty sure it's the same weathering  or very close to the K-Mart one. I didn't get the pack, though...because I had almost everything in it already.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Yeah I think that was my rationale on that too...  The Hoth one's pretty darn nice for what it is.

Jim if you have any issues with the above instructions and pictures, LMK...  It's easy to do, for anyone looking to fix theirs.

The original WM ones, they break under stress over time I've found.  Never did a fix on one, though I have quite a few I got on clearance.  I figure someday I'll work something out for them too but it's going to be involved.  It's the kind of thing someone into 3D design could put together and sell rather easily I think.  Most of the pieces that were breaking under stress were like nylon or something and all internal parts.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 10:27 AM »
They posted the instructions above Jim.
OMG!  DUH!  I think I missed a whole page.  Sorry for the duncery.