Author Topic: Hasbro Announces Black Series 6" Centerpiece Line  (Read 16119 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Hasbro Announces Black Series 6" Centerpiece Line
« on: February 9, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Great news for anyone that was hoping for the Unleashed line to make a come-back some day...  from io9:

"Later this year, alongside the waves of merchandise based on The Last Jedi, there’ll be even more 40th-anniversary toys. The 6-inch Black Series figures will be getting their own line of figurines called the “Centerpiece” range. If you remember the old “Star Wars Unleashed” toys from the early 2000s, they’re a lot like that: static figurines of characters in dynamic poses on special stands, made to look like recreations of key moments from films across the saga.

There’s one key difference with these new ones. though—the lavish new scenery bases will include light and sound effects to make each figurine even more of a display piece. The line will kick off with a new version of Luke in his pilot gear from Empire Strikes Back, and each figure will sell for $50."

« Last Edit: February 9, 2017, 10:44 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Announces Black Series 6" Centerpiece Line
« Reply #1 on: February 9, 2017, 10:56 AM »
I always liked the Unleashed stuff, but $50 seems a bit too steep.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 9, 2017, 11:01 AM »
$50!  Seriously?  Sounds like the ole waiting for clearance should do just fine.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2017, 11:01 AM by Scott »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 9, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Yeah, the $50 price makes you wonder what the cost would have been without the lights/sound effects.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2017, 11:11 AM »
The recent survey asked if we'd like pack-ins, displays, etc.  Here it is...

At least it's in something I don't care about. 

I'm sure we'll hear more in a few days (I'm assuming Toy Fair is this weekend).
« Last Edit: February 9, 2017, 11:12 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2017, 11:13 AM »

Hasbro Entertainment Brand Preview Event is Saturday, Feb 18th. ;)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2017, 11:16 AM »

Hasbro Entertainment Brand Preview Event is Saturday, Feb 18th. ;)

Thanks, Jeff.  I knew it was around Valentine's Day so it would be either this week or next.  I just figured it was this weekend since they were giving a sneak-peek already.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2017, 11:41 AM »
And here I was working on where on my shelves I would be putting the Unleashed segment of my collection....

It's kind of curious to see the 6" Black Series go in this direction.  Granted, I think that part of the line will continue on it's own because it's been reasonably successful.  But I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Unleashed probably was never going to come back about 10 year ago.  Now it is (albeit with a new name), and they're charging MORE?!?!  The one piece looks pretty cool.  But that price point is tough to get enthusiastic about.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2017, 02:15 PM »
I'll admit that these look cool, but for $50 I can also get a SH Figuarts or MAFEX figure imported from Japan, which look just as good and are poseable. So yeah, pass on these.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: February 9, 2017, 02:16 PM »
Odd how we're seeing some nostalgia for the mid 2000's here in these 'new' formats. Unleashed never did it for me. I have a few. Obi-Wan. Padme. But this seems WAY over the top with the price. I'll be skipping on these though I'd probably buy a Jawa version.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 9, 2017, 02:53 PM »
Hasbro is at this point just trolling a segment I think.  I kinda find it funny.

I think the base looks neat and the figure is ****.  The unleashed stuff and 02 line sucked and didn't do well so I'm not expecting much here.  I'm I like the base though.  The price is absurd.  I'd say there is more cost in design and mold tooling than the sounds and lights but that's just me.  If it had a good figure with it I can see $50, but not a pvc statue.

Either way I wasn't gonna buy it but this in 3.75" might have had me for the base, actually.  It'd be cheaper in theory and while I'd have waited for a sale I still might've had some interest.

I was just looking at the one Unleashed thing I still have in a box pondering selling it.  Hell I should sell the storm trooper too.  Those are kind of a waste to own at this point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: February 9, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Hasbro is at this point just trolling a segment I think.

I think it's just the latest attempt to revive the large scale, pre-posed figure idea.

In the late '90s they were called "Epic Force".  Then in the '00s, they were called "Star Wars Unleashed".  Now in the '10s decade,  it's time for "Black Series Centerpiece".

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 9, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Wow, that's a hard pass.  Don't a dozen other companies already do statues?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 9, 2017, 05:10 PM »
The press pic looks pretty cool, and I did like the original Unleashed line (when they were $15), but I can't see me picking these up at $50. If it was an actual Black Series figure, and not just a statue I might consider it more. Sort of seems like the same area as their recent foray into the prop area in Black Series and Marvel Legends. Testing the waters of offering a low cost version of typically high end product areas.

When I first glanced over the press release, I thought they were maybe venturing back into 12" figures, since they started that in the Marvel line last year, and those were originally priced at $50. I might be more interested in that case. With these, a likely pass for me as well, unless they get to a Han or Chewie, or a Rey for my daughter. Or if they start dropping in price like those Legends did (I got the Spidey for $20 and Cap for $10 at Christmas time).

It is funny how their press release doesn't mention their "normal" lines, like 3 3/4", Black Series, etc. I know we will likely see more at Toy Fair, but it gets people in more of a tizzy every time they announce more lines that aren't SA 3 3/4".

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 9, 2017, 08:41 PM »
If it was an actual Black Series figure, and not just a statue I might consider it more.

Exactly! I don't get why they didn't just juice up the kind of environment pieces we got with the Kmart or SDCC sets. How are these things even related to the existing 6" line? i guess because you can pose them on the bases or something?

Expensive and space-intensive are the double whammy for me. And no articulation is strike three. I can't see wanting these in my collection.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy