Author Topic: Hasbro Announces Black Series 6" Centerpiece Line  (Read 16217 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Announces Black Series 6" Centerpiece Line
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 10:00 AM »
Cool to finally see pics of this thing. I guess they are just planning to send out solid cases. I wold love to see them just drop the statues and sell the environment sets by themselves, cheaper.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2018, 10:16 AM »
http://www.galactichunter.com/gh/story/toy-fair-gallery-hasbro-star-wars-black-series-centerpiece-kylo-ren

Almost forgot that there was even some Centerpiece news from NYTF...

Linking to Adam's pic of the Kylo Ren Stopping Blaster Bolt scene.

Looks like something that'll maybe translate ok to 3.75" again if not for the footprints in the sand.  If those are ignorable or fillable and I can get the piece for uber clearance, I think it'd look slick for Jakku Jedha or Tatooine for my 3.75" figures. 

Hey, I'm easy.

It looks cool, but not great.  The scene that this piece was inspired by was good, but again... not great.  And I think that I will just continue to have a difference of opinion with Adam Pawlus about what makes a piece "Perfect".  And I am not prepared to gush over this piece to the extent that he did.

The Black Series Centerpiece line clearly has some drawbacks.  A figure that's not articulated clearly has less appeal than a standard 6" TBS figure.  It's like the Unleashed line 2.0, but now more expensive.  Hasbro should seriously consider lowering the MSRP for this sku to $39.99.  Because the previous offerings sat at their $49.99 and didn't start seriously moving until the clearances began. 

HASBRO:  learn from your mistakes.  Articulate the figure.  Lower the price.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:31 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2018, 11:04 AM »
I just think this is an area where Hasbro shouldn't even bother.  This isn't core to what they do.  They should just let Sideshow and the rest have this market and focus on creating the best action figures possible.

I would be really interested in hearing from both Hasbro and retailers on this to see if anyone was satisfied with the first batch.  These seemed to just sit.

I've got a handful of statues from different lines, but these don't appeal to me at all.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29 AM »
Considering the companion figure for this piece was a Target exclusive Poe Dameron which needed a 70% clearance to move in most places, this particular scene seems like an odd choice.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2018, 12:24 PM »
That's a really good point. I don't think there is any large scale interest in the ephemera of SW in the 6 inch scale. Environments, vehicles, etc. don't seem to work. I don't know if it's the price or the space they take up or what, but all of these go straight to clearance. The whole point of the 3.75 figure in the first place was that it allowed for the ships and stuff. 6 inch doesn't do that.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2018, 12:38 PM »
I just think this is an area where Hasbro shouldn't even bother.  This isn't core to what they do.

I will argue time and again for Hasbro's right to try new things and create new products to find new opportunities/customers...  with that said though, this is one that just doesn't seem to work.  Like you guys have said - the unarticulated figure, the strange choice in scene, the price is too high. 

I think this idea could be great with the right choices (repack a Vader/Bespin Luke with a Bespin Gantry) and a lower price, but right now it just feels like a cash grab.  Seems like the Kmart/Store 6" exclusives with the bases are kind of the same thing with better figures and a cheaper price.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Even I, Hasbro's self proclaimed "sticker upper", think this is a really weird decision to keep going on this line. I sold off all my Unleashed figs long ago for the space reason these cause and those were 1/3 the cost.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2018, 12:47 PM »
It does get tough to justify the continued existence of this segment of the line when we have so much other recent Hasbro product to compare it to.  And Jeff's right:  the KMart exclusives are a great example of that. 

I can't see where the electronics add that much value.  And the added footpegs?  That feature also does not add that much value.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 01:51 PM »
I found the new Kylo Ren centerpiece set today at Target. It scanned ok at the price scanner ($49.99) but I got blocked first at the self checkout and then at customer service.

I wasn't too worried about it because I waited on the last ones and got them for $15 each, so I don't feel a sense of urgency on this one. But I assume they will be saleable tomorrow. (or not...)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 9, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I stopped at my local ThinkGeek store today, and this was also the first time that I spotted the 6" Black Series Centerpiece Edition Rey, as well as the previously released Kylo Ren.  Think Geek wants $54.99 for each of these.  Considering that Amazon has already marked Kylo Ren down to $35?  I can wait.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2018, 08:45 AM »
At this price, I bit on the Star Wars The Black Series Centerpiece Kylo Ren - $28.96

Feedback