Author Topic: Toy Fair 2017  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Toy Fair 2017
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13 AM »
Well they wouldn't want to be stuck under someone's agenda on Rey again.  ::)

The Han is kinda out of left field and a nice (for the moment) looking headsculpt so that's cool. 

I need me some spacemonkey.

I really do hate 5POA stuff, but sometimes I enjoy having things like the Space Monkey and the fish guy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 12:13 PM »
I was checking out the presentation live via Twitter yesterday.  And I texted a friend who was there and asked "Did we just witness the death of the 3.75" figure line?"  The only 3.75" figures that got mentioned in the presentation were the wave of 3.75" Black Series WalMart exclusives.  Granted, there were more 3.75" figures in the showroom.  But with the exception of 3 figures it was all stuff we had seen before.

I take this as us being in a period of transition.  The focus of the Hasbro line has been gradually shifting ever since they introduced the 6" figure line.  It's taken time, but it is happening.  The original Kenner line kicked off with that Early Bird assortment of 3.75" figures, and it seems symbolic that maybe Hasbro is using that same theme to shift the focus now.

I get the sense that the 3.75" figure system will continue to be offered for older "legacy" collectors who are still hanging on.  But I think the writing may be on the wall that this is getting gradually phased out.  We do still have some things incoming in the 3.75" line:  I still haven't seen wave 3 of the ROGUE ONE line, and I don't think a lot of other collectors have, either.  Wave 4 is still incoming.  There's the 3.75" Black Series line, but that's very limited in scope and even more limited in new sculpts.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 01:17 PM »
It's always discouraging to see so little emphasis on the 3.75 line, and I agree it is no longer the focus at Hasbro. But every year we say this is the end and we haven't come to it yet. The Han and Boba Fett reveals in the showroom are indicators the 5 POA line is continuing through TLJ. I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a vintage 40th line this fall that is probably 5 POA. Pretty sure it will be focused mostly on TLJ but we'll get some classic stuff too. I'd prefer it went back to the main focus, but that ship has sailed I think.  :(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 05:42 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this but...

Worst toy fair ever?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 07:42 PM »

Worst toy fair ever?

Probably in the Toy Fair 2017 thread, but I agree with you.  TFA Luke is probably the highlight for me.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Is there a Toy Fair thread for this year?  Did anyone from JD go?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Did some clean-up and moved the last few Toy Fair related posts over to this Toy Fair thread. ;)

Did anyone from JD go?

Nope - gets harder and harder to justify the cost of going to NY when pretty much everything was announced or rumored in the days/weeks leading up to the show. :-\

I think the only real "surprises" were 6" R5-D4 (but he was rumored at one point) and the few new 5POA - Bespin Han and Boba.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 11:41 PM »

Worst toy fair ever?

Probably in the Toy Fair 2017 thread, but I agree with you.  TFA Luke is probably the highlight for me.

Did they show TFA Luke? Have not seen a photo out in the interwebs...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I think he's only been confirmed at this point.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 09:38 AM »
I have to guess that there was a restriction on taking photos during the presentation.  I was watching the live tweeting, and many said that Hasbro showed TFA Luke in the concept stages.  Very often images get shown during those sessions where Hasbro will expressly state "NO PHOTOS" because something is awaiting licensee approval.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:41 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Ok that makes sense. The waiting continues...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot