Author Topic: Star Wars Battlefront II (not to be confused with Star Wars: Battlefront II)  (Read 15322 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
I'm not up on what's going on with most console games.  I've taken a passing interest in Battlefront II:  watching some of the gameplay demos, the cross promotional efforts, etc.  But when I read this Forbes piece that laid out the possibility that gamers might spend over $2 grand in buying all of the loot boxes throughout the game.  And the outrage over all of the in-game purchases led EA to post this on Twitter:

And I think having the actor who portrayed Iden Versio in the game, Janina Gavankar, on GMA this morning may have been an exercise in damage control, too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:03 PM by Jeff »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Train wreck.  I’ll wait to get it cheaper to play the SP.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Jesse, the single player campaign is like 4 hours long... another disappointment.

I'd seriously recommend everyone take a pass on this game. It sucks.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I’m gonna wait for either cheap used or $20.  I just saw a review basically saying the campaign wasn’t just short but also linear and simplistic with stuff thrown in for pure fan wank like playing as Luke and Han.  While I kinda wanna see the storyline and new characters and such, I’m glad I didn’t dive in on this like I did with the last game. 

The formula for success is there.  It’s been done and all you needed to really do was put a Star Wars skin on it to be a success.  Being a little innovative with gameplay would’ve been amazing then had they done that too, but instead they did none of those things.  EA sucks.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Yeah, visually the game is incredible, and the gameplay is good, it's just frustrating that they ruined the multiplayer with the power up system, the "squad" feature that literally never comes in to play (and just delays re-entering play after you die), and not being able to choose which map and which type of match you want to play.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
It’s hard to innovate FPS and it’s risky too but like I’ve said about the last one, I felt if anything they had dumbed the gameplay down to where upgrades were so simplistic they made just jumping in and enjoying it difficult.  Classes were lame and not as familiar, which I think familiarity there helps keep the fun and balance for new and seasoned players more “fair”... 

Other FPS games manage to improve the genre though and that is always in the back of my mind.  But I mean seriously just a Star Wars skin on an already familiar and popular game would’ve been safe and kinda meh but still been more well received.

And the reviews on the SP are bad and honestly I have no idea how you F that part up this bad.  I’ve seen some video of the complaints and I gotta say they do seem like the SP was really an afterthought and nowhere near as good or extensive as like CoD even which is usually pretty simple stuff.  Hell, Titanfall2 is immersive and again you have a blueprint so why not just use that?  Oh well.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I am in no way a gamer or FPS expert so please bear with me on my question.  My sons want this game for Christmas as they had BF and were less than happy with it.  I'm sure that's mostly because we don't let them play online and confine them to local co-op games with friends.  Call me old fashioned but I don't want to pay $60 for a game and then pay another monthly fee for an EA or PS Play account.  That being said, is there enough content in BF2 to keep them occupied if they were only to have what I've heard referred to as a 'couch co-op'?  They don't play other FPS like CoD, so they don't know what they are missing compared to other games.  They just want to blow up some stuff and shoot some droids.  Thanks for the help in advance.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
There’s a single player campaign that’s about 4 to 5 hours long, with some DLC coming around the time the movie drops.  There’s also an arcade mode that is a single player version of the multiplayer portions of the game.

There’s no season pass so you don’t have to pay to play it, but there’s a micro-transaction/ loot box system that is tied to progression.  Due to a ton of fan backlash and ngative press, wich resulted in EA losing $3.1 Billion in revenue, the micro-transaction portion has been turned off, but it’s coming back as soon as the bad press dies down.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
What Matt said...  and 4-5 hr is not long as FPS single player missions go.  I’ve heard enough on it that it detracted me buying it till it’s significantly less next year.  CoD has things like zombie levels and things that expand its SP experience.

A lot of gaming anymore is tied to online play for sure...  not something I was keen on myself but eventually I relented.  I’m really cheap on paying for it though and watch Xbox live deals any time I can get them. :-\

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Well, I got this game for Christmas.  My wife picked up this, Wolfenstein II, and COD WWII.

I chose to jump on this first.  First, I'm not an online gamer and am what I'd consider a casual gamer as I play when I have time.  Being that I'm off work for a couple of weeks, I've spent my time playing games, reading, and cruising the internet...really productive I know.

Anyway, I'm to the part where I play as Kylo Ren.  I'm not sure exactly what to do, but I'll figure it out.  I've enjoyed the game so far.  Game play has been pretty simple, shootouts are fun, hero play has been fun, and the highlights have been the amazing graphics.  This game blows everything else out of the water in that regard.  I doubt I'll get into the online play as I'm not paying to play when I've already dropped cash on the game itself.

I'm not sure what other options are available to play once I finish the story, but I assume it's the arcade mode.  I will say that sucked and I thought it was stupid I had to wait (overnight it turned out) for the game to download to my console.  Why in the world do we spend money on a game and we don't have immediate access to story mode?  I think LA dropped the ball on that.  The arcade level I played was quick and easy and that's about as great as it got.

So, my summary...I've had fun playing the story mode.  I think I'm almost finished and while it was fun, it appears it was short.  It stinks to drop cash, as many have said, and only get a few hours of game play before I have to start paying for stuff.  Arcade mode sucks...sucks.  Online, probably won't happen because I'm not that hardcore.  As for gameplay goes, it's been fun and easy to work through.  I just wish there was more to it.  Hopefully if there is a BF3 then LA will expand the game and story mode.  They improved a lot on the last one, but as many have indicated, this one appears to be lacking in some regards.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
I will say that sucked and I thought it was stupid I had to wait (overnight it turned out) for the game to download to my console.  Why in the world do we spend money on a game and we don't have immediate access to story mode?  I think LA dropped the ball on that. 

I had the same experience with my kids on Christmas day.  They were jazzed to get the game, but it probably took two hours to download the necessary updates to even run it beyond the arcade mode.  Can't somebody create a game that you can just play out of the box, and have the updates load in the background and get installed later?

#BuzzKill

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Awesome game here