Author Topic: 2017 Droid Factory Sandcrawler Playset  (Read 19117 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Droid Factory Sandcrawler Playset
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Links?

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2018-09-23-disney-droid-factory-sandcrawler-playset-see-the-interior-lights-features/

Outside of the checkerboard paint job it looks pretty cool to me.  I'd expect a VOTC version with a nicer paint job at some point right?

I could see myself getting this and just putting it on the shelf with the rest of the Disney / Star Tours stuff, but it wouldn't have any place in the OT section.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I agree about the paint job. Very lack luster. And for some reason I expected a tad more detail in terms of play features all the way around. Perhaps a second level inside. That said, happy about the size.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Anyone else underwhelmed by the new sandcrawler images/video that out there now? That paint job is terrible IMHO.

Links?

At a site that shall not be named.  I felt dirty when I looked it up and saw who had it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 02:47 PM »
That looks horrible.  Hopefully this is a test shot...?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 07:09 PM »
It is rather meh to me. I don't even find the size difference is all that impressive to be honest. The way it was being talked about made it seem like it would be much larger. Maybe it's just cuz they made the treads really small.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Oh no Justin that’s it in hand from the park.

I don’t hate it but the deco blows for sure and the figures are just eh.

I actually don’t own a SC at all, but I’m gonna get this to just basically be a backdrop for where droids and Jawas go since they’re kind of all homeless in my collection.  I like the idea of my shelves either having a large display feel or something big as a backdrop for them.  This will fill that backdrop role.

It didn’t wow me though. 

Good video of it here: https://youtu.be/k8tWQeaw73I
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:50 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Yeah the piece itself is really cool for the price, but that deco is straight up trash. But it kind of "fits" with the other Disney stuff. Isn't it technically some third party toy company making the Disney exclusive stuff using Hasbro molds?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Isn't it technically some third party toy company making the Disney exclusive stuff using Hasbro molds?

At the start, yes it was Disney using Hasbro's molds/factory agreements.  Now though, Disney is making them themselves with their own product development teams, molds and factories.

The original Droid Factory wave was Disney essentially sub-licensing the BAD molds from Hasbro.  For the second wave of BAD (when the wires were dropped), that was Disney creating their own molds using the BAD as a starting point (but making them more cost effective by cutting out the leg wires and things).

Neither Disney nor Hasbro have gotten into the details of how Disney is able to create 3.75" scale toys for sale in the parks (either outside Hasbro's license or with Hasbro's permission or sub-license agreement) but obviously they have some sort of agreement in place because Hasbro hasn't sued Disney yet for infringement. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Sounds about right. When was the Star Wars toy license renegotiated? I think it was around 2013, not long after Disney bought Lucasfilm, I read that they gave Hasbro a license extension, but Hasbro had to pay more for the rights because Disney needed the money more (which is why the figure prices went up to $7.50 for 5POA). I assume there was something about the Disney park figures included in there.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 01:34 AM »
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro was still involved with the 3.75" offerings in the Disney Parks.

If you think about it, Hasbro could benefit from an arrangement where Disney says they want X product and Hasbro "charges back" to Disney the cost of manufacturing the prototype, creating the final sculpt and parts breakdown, the tooling for the molds and production costs. Disney receives the product directly and all the Parks Merchandise team had to do was supervise and approve steps in the process. Hasbro can basically charge whatever it cost them in manpower/time/materials plus a mark-up and Disney can just turn around and give it back to Hasbro in the form discounts on licensing costs.

The fact that the GNK droid in this set is basically the same droid from the Vintage 3-pack that was available at Target a while back pretty much confirms that there is tooling sharing going on.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Neither Disney nor Hasbro have gotten into the details of how Disney is able to create 3.75" scale toys for sale in the parks (either outside Hasbro's license or with Hasbro's permission or sub-license agreement) but obviously they have some sort of agreement in place because Hasbro hasn't sued Disney yet for infringement. :P

To quote Mel Brooks, "It's good to be the king!"
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 10:55 AM »
I saw the size comparison photo, and this version does seem a good bit larger than the vintage/OTC release.  I also like the added electronics, forward hatch and winch.  But essentially?  It comes across like a big box, and somewhat lacking in detail.  And the paint apps look like they could be better.

Most of all?  How the hell are you supposed to fly home from one of the parks with this thing?  You're probably going to get hit up with extra baggage charges, or you might have to ship it home.  The size of the Starspeeder was a big reason why I didn't buy one when I was at Disney last fall.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:17 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I was on a pretty tight collecting budget when the OTC release of the Sandcrawler came around, so it has always been that one vehicle I have been holding out for (whether as a re-do or remake). Not sure why, but at least so far I’m just not super wow-ed by this. Looks good, but I’m still unsure. Plus, I’d have to wait to see if it was offered through the parks app or something since I am nowhere near the Disney parks, and won’t be visiting anytime soon.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 08:31 AM »
I saw the size comparison photo, and this version does seem a good bit larger than the vintage/OTC release.  I also like the added electronics, forward hatch and winch.  But essentially?  It comes across like a big box, and somewhat lacking in detail.  And the paint apps look like they could be better.

Most of all?  How the hell are you supposed to fly home from one of the parks with this thing?  You're probably going to get hit up with extra baggage charges, or you might have to ship it home.  The size of the Starspeeder was a big reason why I didn't buy one when I was at Disney last fall.
Disney does offer a shipping service when you buy something in the parks. They will even hold it for you until the end of the day. Just as the CM.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 09:11 AM »

To quote Mel Brooks, "It's good to be the king!"

No no, that was Tom Petty!