Author Topic: 2017 Hasbro Star Wars Fan Figure Vote  (Read 33240 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Hasbro Star Wars Fan Figure Vote
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Cast my vote for Sim Aloo. A little stunned that the two figures I want the most (Sim and Yakface) are dead last. And I'm with you guys, who the heck is the leader? I just don't spend any time in the EU.

Dr. Aphra is a character in the new Marvel comics run, and debuted in the Darth Vader title.  I think she made her first comic appearance in 2015, and I think she may have her own title now.  Beyond that I'm little help on Aphra.  I was all in with the Dark Horse comics Star Wars titles for a while, but I tapped out at least a year or two before Dark Horse's license to produce Star Wars comics ended.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 04:11 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 1, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I haven't read the Aphra stuff yet, but I'm hoping it's better than the crap I've read online.  I think she is a main character in the Vader comics and has her own series now.  Seems like a character created for iPhone millenials, with her dialogue straight out of Saturday Night SciFy movies.  You can read up on her here if you're interested. 

Chelli Lona Aphra was a human female archaeologist who was recruited by Darth Vader after the Battle of Yavin. Aphra, along with her two assassin droid companions, 0-0-0 (Triple-Zero) and BT-1 (Beetee), fulfilled several missions for Darth Vader before falling out of his favor.

Maybe they'll make her a pack with her assassin droids?  That at least sounds a little promising. Some of her less inspiring quotes:

"Mom's dead in a ditch on that alien world she took us to when she left you for being obsessed by old dumb stuff! Oh—the psychologist says I may have some issues. Fair to warn you."
―Chelli Aphra, to her father

"You...are even more interesting than I could have hoped, Sir Vader."
―Aphra to Darth Vader
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: May 1, 2017, 01:34 PM »
See, Aphra and her droids would make a great comic pack with an issue of Dr. Aphra #1.  I'd be all for the return of comic packs for that reason.

Someone like Doctor Aphra really illustrates my main pet peeve with most of these EU figure selections in the polls - I HATE INCOMPLETE TEAMS.

It's always bugged me in super-hero lines where you get 80% of a team but there are always glaring holes and missing characters.  That's why I've always been a fan of things like the comic packs or the box sets for the EU Stuff.  I'm not a 6" collector, but it would bug the **** out of me to have 6" Kanan, Sabine, and Hera... and no Chopper, Zeb, and Ezra.

It still bugs me to this day that Hasbro went ahead and gave us Jacen and Jaina but never completed the set and gave us Anakin Solo.  It still bugs me to this day that we never got Guri or Leebo to go with Dash Rendar and Xixor.  We got Kyle Katarn, but no Jan Ors!  On and on.

I'd buy TVC Aphra, but I'd be annoyed we didn't get her droids to go with her.  I know that's mainly on me and my OCD, but it still bugs me when the one-off dudes pop up in the line (I'm looking at you Nelvaan Anakin.  And you, Darth Plagueis.  And you, Darth Bane. ETc etc etc)   :-X
« Last Edit: May 1, 2017, 01:35 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 1, 2017, 01:57 PM »

So...  looks like Ben and Tonnikas got dropped and Emperor got swapped in for Pong Krell for some reason...  wonder if he was just going to cost too much with his size and extra arms and such?

Agree 100% that to claim "no restrictions" and then to turn around and flop on Tonnikas is pretty lame.  Probably the final, definitive "these are never gonna get made" that no one was hoping for (but deep down we were all kinda expecting :().

Its hard for me to describe how stupid this all is.  Why even bother with a "Round 1" when you're going to ignore half of the top vote getters and insert some others that collectors didn't ask for?  What is the point?

Hasbro should just put a list of figures out there from their "parking lot" that they want to make and have us vote on them.

Who wants another Emperor figure?  Is that in anyone's top 30 figures they most want?

I'm tempted to not even vote this is annoying me so much.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 1, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Yeah, a parking list poll might have been better, or a "narrower" field that rotates every year, like OT figures, PT figures, ST figures, stand-alones, TV and other media.  At least Cliegg Lars might have a chance then.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 1, 2017, 03:00 PM »
I'm onboard with you and your OCD Jeff, BUT this is how my "wish list" goes:

1) All the EU guys from some book/game/etc.

2) ONE RANDOM EU GUY FROM SOME BOOK/GAME/ETC.

3) no guy from some EU book/game/etc.

I'd like the Anakin Solo, but am happy we at least got Jacen and Jaina
« Last Edit: May 1, 2017, 03:01 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 1, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I'd buy TVC Aphra, but I'd be annoyed we didn't get her droids to go with her.

Well, I know the eyes aren't 100% accurate, the new all-black C-3PO style protocol droid that you can build at Disney is pretty much 0-0-0. So if they ever make her, her protocol droid is covered and since I never thought I'd see a Build-a-Droid Astromech with a gun, and we got that, I don't see any reason why Disney couldn't "save the day" under the Build-a-Droid line and modify an R4 dome (or make a completely new dome sculpt) to give us BT-1.

But I agree with you 100% - would be great if we could get "completed teams" for many of the characters you mentioned.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 1, 2017, 03:26 PM »
It's always bugged me in super-hero lines where you get 80% of a team but there are always glaring holes and missing characters.  That's why I've always been a fan of things like the comic packs or the box sets for the EU Stuff.  I'm not a 6" collector, but it would bug the **** out of me to have 6" Kanan, Sabine, and Hera... and no Chopper, Zeb, and Ezra.

I'm okay with some random one off stuff, but how we're 3+ years in to Rebels and only have a partial Rebels team is really odd.  I hope these get made in the next year or our chances of seeing these is probably slim to none.  That would really bug me to not have a complete team, but have a Thrawn.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 1, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Well, I have mixed feelings on all this.  For the EU/Legends stuff, I'm just happy to get anyone now that Disney has bought SW.  I'd love to get some of the key New Jedi Order figures or a Barabel figure at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.  Like Nick, I'll take whatever surprises pop up, but not expecting much more.

For something like Rebels though, I am really frustrated by the lack of a complete core team.  It's Disney created, it's been on for years, and they've even incorporated some of the characters into the movies.  The Thrawn set is cool as all get out and I like the 40th Anniversary figs, but not having a complete 6" team is just all kinds of dumb.  Heck, they could have slipped a few of these characters into the 40th anniversary line instead of doubles of some characters.  They must just not want to make money at Hasbro.   
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #129 on: May 1, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Honestly, that list is weak across the board.  I wish I could have voted for Emperor's Royal Guard or Scarif Stormtrooper.  I also wouldn't mind a Rogue One Darth Vader in Bacta Tank.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: May 4, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Doctor Aphra is your winner

Doctor Aphra is going on her biggest adventure yet: a journey from the pages of Marvel’s Star Wars comics to your toy collection. And it’s all thanks to you!

The kinda good, kinda bad archaeologist has won Hasbro’s Star Wars Fan Figure Vote on StarWars.com, meaning that she’ll be making the jump to toy form and joining the new 3.75-inch Star Wars Vintage Collection. Doctor Aphra, introduced in 2016 in Marvel’s Darth Vader series, rocketed quickly to fan-favorite status. She was dangerous, funny, and kept the company of two psychotic droids, but wasn’t completely without a heart; it was hard not to root for her, even when battling our heroes. Today, Doctor Aphra stars in her own ongoing series and cosplay sightings are regular.

“I’m of a generation that some of my earliest memories are of Star Wars figures and the magic herein,” Doctor Aphra creator and series writer Kieron Gillen tells StarWars.com. “The idea that someone Salva [Larroca] and I made up is going to be one of those, immortal in plastic, feels all kind of magical.”

While runner-up Ahsoka Tano (Star Wars Rebels version) made the contest a close one, Aphra, in typical fashion, remained a few steps ahead and didn’t look back.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 4, 2017, 01:14 PM »
I know I'm in the old-fart category of Star Wars collectors at this point, but I'm not that old, and I'm really disappointed that the winner is some weird new EU character that I'd literally never heard of.  I don't know her story, but the character design is beyond boring.  A woman in a vest with a weird helmet... yay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to lose sleep or anything, but I've been wanting a new Sim Aloo for nearly 20 years now... so as far as collecting disappointment goes, this is up there.

Hopefully Hasbro puts the runners up on their to-do list.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 4, 2017, 02:41 PM »
I voted for Sim as well but the 6% he received doesn't really say much for him as a whole.

I would argue Aphra's boring outfit means the "coolness" of her character is there.

Why I feel the urge to "stick up" for this character I don't know much about is beyond me, but how does the 6% of us who voted for Sim and don't know who Aphra is outweigh the 36% who destroyed our choice? That's the attitude that irks me.

If I'm a 20 year old who reads these comics, the choice to vote for Aphra or some guy in a movie from way before my birth with 16 seconds of screen time seems obvious

Don't quote my %
« Last Edit: May 4, 2017, 02:50 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: May 4, 2017, 02:50 PM »
Ultimately I'm sorta ok with Aphra...  She'll be background filler.  Like the front page story said though, I hope her droids arrive too.  It'll complete things more.

Like Jeff said, teams are nicer when complete.  We got Tassu Leech (well, I didn't cuz I couldn't find the damn little freak) but none of the rest.  We got the Guavian Enforcer, but not the smarmy british guy.

We got Han in his coat, but not General Leia.  We got good Rey and Poe figures, but a ****** Han...

It's the incompleteness of things that sucks.

We got HK47 and Bastilla Shan, but we never got ANYONE else from the group in KOTOR and there's a TON, but they're all important, unique, and would've made a kickass looking group of figures if they'd done them all.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 4, 2017, 03:25 PM »
My hope is that they create a special three pack of Aphra and her droids, or a four pack with Vader or some other figure.  This doesn't need to be a single carded figure, and I hope they take this opportunity to do something more interesting.

Ultimately I'll get this figure even though it wouldn't be in my top 100 wanted figures.  I just wish Hasbro would have handled the round one idea submissions in a much, much better way.