Collectibles > The Last Jedi

TLJ 3.75" Basic Figure Line

<< < (30/31) > >>

Matt_Fury:

--- Quote from: Darby on January 16, 2018, 05:37 PM ---I saw this coming from a mile away. First, you have the even in 1997 it was bad move of placing one new figure in an assortment. You have the compressed release schedule. You have the fact that despite making $$$ at the box office, these toys aren't moving like they used to, or even like LEGOs. Kids go for LEGO and role play. Adults for BS and more expensive options. Hasbro seems stuck in the middle, dying from a thousand cuts of slicensing, the shrinking of brick and motar and a clinging to outdated release patterns.

If it's going to be a movie a year from here on out, Hasbro needs to jettison assortments. It needs to be here's the fall/winter release for the movie, here's the spring for the DVD and that's it. No waves 2 and 3, no bottlenecking, no spacing **** out. Here it is. Nice big supply, sells out, it's gone. Moving on. It's that or oblivion. I don't know why some people think Vintage is going to solve any of this. It would be nice, but TVC went away last time in part because of what's happening right now. The last wave was cast off to Amazon/EE/etc. and no matter how cool the cards are, the line will fail if they can't sort out distribution. Distribution has really been the issue for Hasbro across its ranges and brands going back to at least 2008, 2009; it was a regular topic of concern in the old Q&As and I remember talking to DePriest about it at NYCC 2011. We've got it figured out, he said.

5 POA is not the issue; 6 inch is not the issue. The line would be dead if either failed. The issue is Hasbro doesn't know its market, because either market is changing too fast for it to accommodate, or they haven't learned to change with it.

My two cents.

--- End quote ---

I'll agree with a lot of what you said...the paradigm needs to change because of the release schedule, and my son prefers Lego and Role Play (his #1 item on his Christmas list was a Praetorian Guard costume...BTW, the one offered at the Disney Store is a great quality item).

I have a slight disagreement about the new VC line.  I look at it as a more collector focused line.  Since there's been a drought of SA/collector quality figures since 5POA figures made their return, I think the new VC line will do quite well...especially when they get past the repacks.  I didn't collect 5POA nor did I collect 6 inch figures, so I'm looking forward to these figures.

Darby:

--- Quote ---I think the new VC line will do quite well...especially when they get past the repacks.
--- End quote ---

I hope so. The performance of the WM BS line doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, but I don't know how much of that was WM. A limited, diverse TVC line I think would do well, even though we all want as much as we can get. I'm ok with repacks/retools, so long as they make sense - Lando just mentioned the POTJ Mon Cal Officer in another thread. A retool of the VC Ackbar as a Mon Cal on a VC card would be gangbusters. I'm a little surprised it didn't happen back in TVC, to be honest.

Rob:
All this time later and I just got a shipping notice for the Flame Trooper and C'ai Threnalli.   

Jesse James:
Where’d you order from Rob?  Got my figs a good while ago.

Rob:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on July 24, 2018, 01:49 AM ---Where’d you order from Rob?  Got my figs a good while ago.

--- End quote ---

It was Entertainment Earth, but that post was like a month ago. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version