Author Topic: SDCC 2017  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
SDCC 2017
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:48 AM »
SDCC kicks off tomorrow night... wonder just how much they will be able to tease/show leading up to Force Friday II?  Here are the panel details...

Hasbro: Star Wars Panel
Members of the Hasbro team discuss the popular Hasbro Star Wars line. Attendees will get an in-depth look at Hasbro's latest action figure offerings. Word on the HoloNet is that there may also be a few surprises, including a special product reveal!
Friday July 21, 2017 1:00pm - 2:00pm (PT)
Room 7AB
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I, of course, will be there and attempt to relay everything as it happens.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:19 PM »
Looking forward to seeing what's there...but I heard there's no Star Wars panel for either movie.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:46 PM »
I heard there's no Star Wars panel for either movie.

Because Disney/LFL just had a big panel/reveal for TLJ at D23 last week, they're essentially skipping a big to-do at SDCC.

There was some rumoring a while back that D23 was going to be TLJ focused and they'd do a Han Solo tease at SDCC, but I think the director kerfuffle/collapse/switch set things back to the point they had to re-think that plan.  :(

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Well, we finally made it!  ;D

After several years of lackluster showings, I feel like this one has gotten a bit better recently. Still gonna be very expensive for me as far as exclusives...$50 for Thrawn, $50 for Luke/Rey 2-pack, $25 for Gree, $90 for the Landspeeder...and that doesn't even count non-SW stuff.

As far as what I'm hoping to see, for SW I really just want to see some new Rebels toys, or at least confirmation that more will be coming.

And it would be good to know once and for all if they will ever do any more Vintage carded 6" or if they are calling it a day as is.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Nice reveals on the exclusives this morning.  We already knew about Thrawn and the Landspeeder, but it's good to get some official imagery and pricing on those.  And I guess a solid segment of the collecting community will be wearing out the F5 button on their computers on August 14th!

I like the Rey & Luke set.  I suspect that Hasbro Hong Kong dropped the ball by releasing those images yesterday, but whatever.  As exciting as it is to see this set revealed, where is the bonus aspect for collectors?  Sure, the packaging looks nice.  But I haven't been into collecting specific packaging for a long time.  And as cool as it would be to get these two figures before Force Friday, I'm having a tough time justifying why I should pay $50 for these when I can probably get the two figures individually for less than $20 each.

As for Gree?  I know Gree will be available online starting tomorrow, and then in stores in the fall.  I don't know if it's generally worth the "Gotta have it now" mindset when these TRU exclusive figures tend to be so readily available in stores.  And considering that I routinely get rewards $$$ from TRU?  It's cause to not pay full retail for this exclusive, too.

I'm a bit more interested in seeing what else Hasbro will reveal at their panel.  It will probably be a small portion of the TLJ line, but I think that Hasbro will also be putting on a big press push starting mid-August through Force Friday.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Can someone provide links to pics of these exclusives?  I don't think I've seen any of them.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 11:25 AM by Jeff »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:23 AM »

STAR WARS THE BLACK SERIES X-34 LANDSPEEDER & LUKE SKYWALKER FIGURE - SDCC 2017 EXCLUSIVE - $89.99

Item will be available to order on 8/14/2017.
Limit of 2 per household. No phone orders will be accepted.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Kids and fans alike can imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from Star Wars The Black Series! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism that Star Wars devotees love.

Luke Skywalker was just a farm boy from Tatooine before beginning his training to become a Jedi. Though he would eventually sell his X-34 Landspeeder in order to buy passage aboard the Millennium Falcon, for much of Luke’s youth, this civilian vehicle was his only transport between his homestead and outposts such as Tosche Station and Anchorhead, as well as the Jundland Wastes, Dune Sea, and beyond.

Imagine Luke cruising across the barren deserts of Tatooine with this 6-inch scale X-34 Landspeeder and Luke Skywalker figure. Designed for ultimate collectability and display, the X-34 Landspeeder and figure feature movie-real design and detailing. The Luke Skywalker figure features multiple points of articulation, while the X-34 Landspeeder vehicle includes a clear stand for display. Collect all Star Wars The Black Series figures, vehicles, and more to expand and enhance any Star Wars collection!

Additional products each sold separately.

• Includes: figure, vehicle, stand, and 5 accessories.

• 6 -inch-scale, Star Wars The Black Series X-34 Landspeeder and Luke Skywalker figure
• Collector grade quality figure and vehicle with authentic, movie-accurate detail
• Includes 5 character-inspired accessories and artifacts
• Premium packaging and design
• Includes clear stand for display
• Expand and enhance Star Wars collection

• Figure scale: 6 inches

STAR WARS THE BLACK SERIES GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN - SDCC 2017 EXCLUSIVE - $49.99

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Kids and fans alike can imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from The Black Series! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism that Star Wars devotees love.

This Star Wars The Black Series pack, featuring 1 6-inch-scale Grand Admiral Thrawn figure and 10 accessories inspired by the Grand Admiral’s personal collection of artifacts from across the galaxy, is designed for ultimate collectability and display. Featuring authentic, true-to-story detail across multiple points of articulation, the Star Wars The Black Series Grand Admiral Thrawn figure and accessories pay tribute to the iconic, blue-skinned mastermind Grand Admiral Thrawn and his many campaigns as the most cunning of the Emperor’s fleet officers.

Additional products sold separately.

• Includes: figure and 10 accessories.

• 6 -inch-scale, Star Wars The Black Series Grand Admiral Thrawn figure
• Collector grade quality figure with authentic, movie-accurate detail
• Includes 10 character-inspired accessories and artifacts
• Premium packaging and design
• Recreate adventures from Star Wars

• Figure scale: 6 inches

STAR WARS THE BLACK SERIES LUKE SKYWALKER (JEDI MASTER) & REY (JEDI TRAINING) -  SDCC 2017 EXCLUSIVE - $49.99

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
Kids and fans alike can imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from The Black Series! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism that Star Wars devotees love.

A Tatooine farmboy. A Jakku scavenger. An unknown story. A path waiting to be discovered.

This Star Wars The Black Series pack, featuring 1 6-inch-scale Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master) and 1 6-inch scale Rey (Jedi Training) figure is inspired by Rey’s quest to find the lost Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker. With multiple points of articulation and movie-inspired design, this Black Series 2-pack has been created for ultimate collectability and display. Featuring authentic, true-to-story detail, the Star Wars The Black Series Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master) and Rey (Jedi Training) figures and accessories let fans and collectors alike imagine the legendary Jedi Luke Skywalker challenging Rey’s expectations as he teaches her the ways of the Force.

Additional products sold separately.

Star Wars products are produced by Hasbro under license from Lucasfilm Ltd.
Hasbro and all related terms are trademarks of Hasbro.

•   6 -inch-scale, Star Wars The Black Series Luke Skywalker (Jedi Master) and Rey (Jedi Training) figures
•   Collector grade quality figures with authentic, movie-accurate detail
•   Includes 3 character-inspired accessories
•   Premium packaging and design
•   Imagine Rey’s fateful encounter with the legendary Jedi Master, Luke Skywalker

Includes: 2 figures and 3 accessories.

Figure scale: 6 inches

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:58 AM »
Interesting that they state a specific release date.  I don't think they've ever done that before.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:00 PM »
So all 6-inch scale?

Works for me!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:31 PM »
The environment backdrops they have for the 6" figures at the Hasbro booth are so freaking epic. If they could break them down into smaller individual modular sets for sale? Hoo boy.

Favorite things were the custom helmet with blast shield for Luke, and the trash compactor alternate Luke head sculpt with wet hair. Nice touches.

Seriously, make these Hasbro! Ten times better than that centerpiece pre-posed crap.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19 PM »
Thanks guys!  I didn't know they were all 6" figs.  Easy pass for me.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Looks like the Rathtar set is the only new thing in the cases so far, aside from the 6" Luke tweaks (Blast Helmet, Trash Compactor Head).

Hoping for some good reveals after the panel Friday!

The environment backdrops they have for the 6" figures at the Hasbro booth are so freaking epic.

Yeah, those dios are pretty amazing - Tatooine, the Death Star, the Falcon.  I can't even imagine what that set-up cost Hasbro or what it would cost us if they actually did try to sell them. $$$

Would be cool though if they could get some of the 'smaller' things, like DS Troper's console or whatever, into the hands of those that are willing to pay...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 05:46 AM »
Looking through the RS gallery, it looks like the Rathtar got stashed away for the time being.

But the 6" Black Series diorama?  That's amazing stuff!  Their Death Star environment is a great way to show off the new Tarkin, that's for sure.  And it shows some excellent creativity.  In the trash compactor it looks like the pipe Han is using to brace the walls is actually made from exacto knives.  And the Tatooine segment of the diorama is fantastic, too.

Feedback