Author Topic: SDCC 2017  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 10:59 AM »
It also reminds me how surprising it is that Hasbro never released repack multipacks like Stormie Han/Stormie Luke/Chewie/Obi-Wan in the 6 inch scale. I think the only repack they've ever done was that TRU Han/Greedo set. I probably would have bought that as opposed to those craptastic EE and Amazon exclusive Trooper sets.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:23 PM »
Looks like TFA "Resistance Gear" Rey is coming to the 6" Black Series line too... (not sure what wave though).

Image from the Instagram account of Hasbro Design Director, Steve Evans.

"Our new Rey. New face application technique will be implemented on our 6" Black Series figs from spring 2018 onwards."

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Another picture of 6" TFA Resistance Rey from @TWGsite -

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44 PM »
Not that I want to suck traffic away from our fine forums, but this is where I remind folks that following along on our twitter (@jedidefender) and the twitter of our good pals @yak_face is the easiest way to see new pics as they pop up.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to re-paste them all in here in a timely manner (I am trying to do some 'real' work today too :P).

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 01:39 PM »
I mentioned on Twitter it would have been nice to see this new technique applied to the initial TLJ figures, because the difference between Resistance Rey, who is hands down the best figure they've done in this line, and the Jedi Rey are staggering. Oh, well. I imagine we'll get a lot of amazing likenesses going forward.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2017, 01:14 PM »
The new facial deco technique is very welcome, and frankly a bit overdue.  I can't help but think that the guys from Hasbro, many of whom are on social media, have seen all of the collectors out there that have taken to improving on the stock facial deco on 6" Black Series figures.  There seems to be a subculture on Instagram devoted to these repaints!  And there was definitely room for improvement there, and I'm glad to see that it's coming soon.  If only it was happening with the TLJ line launch!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:14 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2017, 04:01 PM »
who's streaming the Hasbro panel???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Star Wars Action News is trying to stream it... having sound issues right now though.

https://www.facebook.com/SWActionNews/videos/vb.54263127152/10154911247332153/?type=3&theater

edit - sound working now!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 04:10 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Woo, now that was a worthwhile panel.  Quite a bit revealed for 6", 3.75" 5POA, and 3.75" SA.  :o

6" Black Series
- Rebel Fleet Trooper
- TFA General Leia
- TFA Maz Kanata
- Captain Rex (removable helmet)
- Dewback w/Sandtrooper

3.75" 5POA (nothing TLJ, but lots OT, PT, TFA)
- Hoth Leia
- Wampa/Hoth Luke
- Vader/Probot
- Han/Boba Fett 2pk
- Qui-Gon/Maul 2pk
- Rathtar/BalaTik
- Emperor Palpatine (with sith lightning hands)

3.75" TVC
- repack TFA Rey
- repack TFA Kylo Ren
- repack FO Stormtrooper
- repack 2010 Hoth Trooper (beardless)
- NEW Dr. Aphra (initial sculpt design shown)
- repack Jyn Erso
- repack Deathtrooper
- repack Cassian Andor
- NEW Imperial Tank Driver
- NEW Imperial Assault Tank (gorgeous!)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:08 PM by Jeff »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Are they still aware there is a Star Wars TV show currently running with ample fodder for new figures?

Nary a mention of Rebels...ugh.  :-[

But yeah, otherwise pretty darn excellent! (Not sarcasm, for reals...lots of cool reveals)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 05:44 PM »
Very nice 6" reveals.  Might have to get a couple RFTs and name one Jesse.  I didn't take a closer look, but does this guy come with a holster? (Will have to check later)  Also wonder if they'll scale down Maz and Leia for the 3.75" TVC line??  We can start dreaming.  Rex looks nice, but not my focus.  Dewback will probably be wonderful, but space issues.  It might depend on which Sandtrooper we get with it.  Looks like the white pauldron on the product shot, though they show the orange on the film still.  If it's gray (which hasn't been done yet), then I might bite.

Pretty much pass on 5 POA 3.75" stuff.  Already have superior versions of them... unless the Probe droid and Wampa are awesome and the price is right.

I know people are excited about TVC 2.0, but I'm reserved.  There wasn't anything new on that list except Aphra and the Tank Pilot.  I'm excited about the pilot and tank, but hesitant about the repacks.  My worry is that TVC 2.0 is going to start with a TFA themed wave, which will sit and clog pegs alongside the current Walmart exclusive ones (at least at Walmart).  Then Hasbro will blame the fans saying no one wants SA figures and that will be the end of that.  I get that Hasbro wants to push the new media, and I can't blame them, but hopefully they don't put Finn, Poe, Han and Leia on vintage cards (unless Han and Leia are new figures of Smuggler Han and General Leia).  I hope I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:53 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 05:51 PM »
 ;D :o

Great stuff. Definitely one of the better panels they've had in quite a while. Can't say there's nothing I didn't like.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Vintage Collection disappointing but far from shocking
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Kicked off the panel (basically) with this, and it was a strong way to do it.  Finishing it with TVC after teasing fans a bit, even better.  They really are righting the ship IMHO.  The 6" line is impressive...  and now besides Bossk, I'll be buying Tarkin and RFT...  Ugh.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 06:17 PM »
I can nitpick on some of the choices (no Rebels, etc.), but I am sooooo glad they've chosen to spend more time with TFA and Rogue One figures/vehicles. 

The toy releases they had with the movies were really hit and miss, probably due to their development timelines and lack of access to final content.  So I'm very glad they're not just moving on but spending more time on the cool stuff they missed the first time around.

Nice work Hasbro!