Author Topic: TVC Rogue One Imperial Assault Tank  (Read 80792 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: TVC Rogue One Imperial Assault Tank
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 04:48 PM »
No commander....  yet.  ;)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 05:59 PM »
The more I see, the more I like it.  I just hope that a SA Tank Driver is on the horizon.

The SA Tank Driver was mentioned in the SDCC presentation for The Vintage Collection.  In one regard I get Hasbro *NOT* packing in the trooper if it's going to be available as a carded figure.  But it might make sense to offer up the Tank Commander (with the different markings) with the Tank itself.

I'm not crazy about the price.  And I think a sale or rewards type purchase would probably be the way to go with this one.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 11:32 PM »
People were sorta vaguely flipping at the idea of the pack ins with the atact last year tho, so I kind of am glad he's not an exclusive pack-in.  And I'm buying it, but I also know a lot aren't going to want to buy this or simply can't for whatever reason, but a figure someday maybe.

I'm not a huge fan of a pack-in figure you can't get any other way unless it's a relatively inexpensive toy.  That's just me.

I don't LIKE the price though on this.  I don't think spending $80 is fun.  But I do think it's fair looking around the industry at large and how prices are up, labor rates in china are high now, especially if you're operating responsibly over there...  obviously I wish it was $40, but I also would rather pay what it takes to get it than not get it.  I will hopefully get some extras for less.  It's a design I love and want to customize.  I hope I can.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Sweet!  And since that's the only one of the four I need...he'll be impossible to find!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 11:35 PM »
I'm not going to say $80 excites me, but at this point I'd rather pay up for accurately scaled, highly detailed, items that haven't been made before, rather than paying $7 for a repaint or repack without any articulation. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I was a bit taken aback on the price myself, but that's the way things are going. At least it sounds like we're going to be getting some bang for our buck with accessories and detail.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52 AM »
I was a bit taken aback on the price myself, but that's the way things are going. At least it sounds like we're going to be getting some bang for our buck with accessories and detail.

Exactly!  That's why I love the BMF Falcon and the BMF AT-AT.  There's a lot of great detail in those and this tank looks like they've dialed that up to 11!  While I would prefer $50 for this, I'm not going to cry at the $80 price tag.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 1, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I think the tank looks awesome.  It's just a heavy sticker shock for me.  I've also paid anywhere from $50-200 for Masterpiece Transformers, so I also get that sometimes it's worth shelling out more for the added details.   I don't think you can really compare it to 3rd party stuff like this or the APC though - the overhead and volume of that stuff just makes it a totally different pricing model.

I absolutely think it's worth an upcharge, but how much of an increase?  The U-Wing was $50 for an all new design, moving wings, landing gear, cockpit, Nerf accessories, etc.  The Tie Striker was $40, with similar features.  For $90, Hasbro had to design two brand new ships, 2 exclusive pack in figures with weapons, 2 separate package designs, interaction with Nerf shooters, etc.  You may not want or need all that, but none of it was free.  The tank is highly detailed with some awesome features, but it's one package, no figures, and about the same price as these other two vehicles combined. 

That math just doesn't tie out for me.  Despite a comparatively better value, you can easily get either of the R1 ships for $20 right now.   As cool as the tank is, I think its going to collect dust at $80.  It's too big a price jump, just like we saw with the $300 AT-ACT, and I won't be at all surprised to find it knocked down to $40-50 in short order.  I'll buy one at that price, but an $80 item selling for $40-50 can't be all that exciting for Hasbro or retailers, which puts similar items at risk for future development.  By comparison, I think they could have listed it for $20 less or maybe $65 with a figure and watched it sell out.  It's just difficult to swallow twice the price as I don't see it as twice the offering of their other items.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: August 1, 2017, 07:00 PM »
The 3rd party stuff also costs significantly more in pretty much every case I can cite, often utilizes repaints and rerelease or rereleases with minor changes...  and having taken a TIE Striker apart, I can attest that, compared to the 3D blow-up of the tank, it's a vastly simpler toy.  Very basic engineering, limited details, and limited construction (Labor).  Not being able to compare paint jobs, hard to say there but that's supposedly a labor intensive process, but who knows if the tank will be anything special.  The TIE Striker was definitely "simpler"  though as Hasbro ships generally are.  I don't have the UWing to compare but I have seen it dismantled and it's similar to the Striker in complexity. 

I'd put a lot of the Saga ships on par with the complexity of the RO ships with the UW being slightly larger than most of those but that's mostly due to the wings taking up space.  Lots of spring loaded stuff which is what NERF is, moving parts but not every hatch and stuff. 

Sure that APC isn't 100% apples to apples, but it's price is 3x as much too.  I think you can make some relative comparison then.  Or an acid rain large vehicle which is 1/2 as large as the Hasbro tank (roughly) and costs $160-170?  Small company costs twice as much.  Seems fairly reasonable to compare them somewhat..

And like I said the 1/18 military stuff that is extinct now, was costing near or at this price 10+ years ago and were mass market in some cases, others exclusive to large stores like TRU or WM.

I'm by no means excited at $80 tanks but I also am not excited by $13+ figures or 5POA for $7.  I want $10 SA and $20/$30 collector focused ships, and a big wing TIE for $50, but that was actually a good while ago now.  And I'd rather get the tank than not.  And ultimately the demand will be there or it won't, but if it's not collectors can't keep complaining they're not catered to either.  I'm just happy they're doing it though, so I'm in for a few right now.  $250-ish set aside now for next year.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Hasbro's gonna show off this tank at HASCON this weekend...  lotsa Hasbro employees touring the show floor and taking pics for social media...  just look at all those parts!

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: September 8, 2017, 12:25 AM »
I love that they took the blow up cut away ICS image of it and basically made that a toy.

They've done really awesome stuff before that's not just a toy but a movie accurate one at that, but not terribly often or with something larger than a Speeder usually.  This effort but on an XWing or YWing would easily get me to shell out big $.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 8, 2017, 08:08 AM »
I still want that AT-AT docking station!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 8, 2017, 08:26 AM »
They snuck the pilot in there, I see! 

I wonder if the Tank legitimately has that many interlocking parts?  Because that's a lot that's going on there.  I'm also glad to see the kyber crystal cargo pods. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #43 on: September 8, 2017, 04:05 PM »
Once again, pics courtesy of Eric Franks (www.imperialholocron.com) - be sure to check out his gallery on Facebook for more pics!

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 8, 2017, 04:46 PM »
This really is shaping up pretty great. I hope this is a hit for them and we can start getting these deluxe, spiffy vehicles regularly. At least once a year. Wouldn't mind seeing something like Poe's X-Wing get this treatment. Not a huge fan of the Force Awakens one.