Author Topic: TLJ 3.75" BB-8 2-in-1 Mega Playset  (Read 28847 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
TLJ 3.75" BB-8 2-in-1 Mega Playset
« on: July 27, 2017, 09:22 PM »
Very cool report from Yakface about a TLJ playset.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:20 AM by Jeff »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: TLJ 3.75" First Order Playset?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39 PM »
What!?  No Snoke's Private Office and Lavatory stackable playset?  A failure and Hasblow doesn't understand collectors or love $.  They just want the line to fail!

:D

Seriously this will be met with much rage I feel sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28 PM »
It's ironic that fans of toys can so completely lose sight of what makes them fun for kids.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I hope this thing looks better than it sounds.  Sounds expensive and gimmickie.  That's a word.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:05 AM »
The only problem I have with it is that it should just be a playset. It doesn't need to "transform" into anything else. Just my two cents though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Reminds me of the Episode One R2-D2 carry case/playset.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 03:41 PM »
I'm curious to see how it turns out. I like this kind of thing, so it sounds fun to me. Don't how exciting a Star Destroyer bridge is (I kind of turned the vintage one into a flying barge or something as a kid) but we'll see.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 03:52 PM »
I'm curious to see how it turns out.

Same.  Holding off judgment until we know what exactly it is and how much it's gonna cost.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 03:55 PM »
If the Star Destroyer bridge looks good, I'll get it for that.  I'll also need SA FO officers and crew to man it!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 03:59 PM »
You will get Hux, and he'll be 5poa and you'll like it! :P

Seriously I'm not banking on greatness here, but I think for kids it'll probably be pretty fun.  I hope the adult collectors get that, but I bet not.  In the meantime I'll enjoy my GTP Space Walls thank you very much!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 06:04 PM »
I'm hopeful that this might be interesting.  Info is going to be coming out in dribs and drabs before Force Friday.  It's just wait and see at this point.

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:59 PM »
It's ironic that fans of toys can so completely lose sight of what makes them fun for kids.

Does something converting into a big version of something mostly unrelated to it make a fun toy? Maybe BB-8 rolls around a Star destroyer a lot in the film, but even if he does, what use is a large BB-8 in regards to other Hasbro toys?

I mean, if we'd have had a C-3PO bust that turned into the Emperor's throne room....we'd have appreciated the throne troom, maybe, but even as kids we would wonder what the point of the "giant" 3PO was.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 04:40 PM »

Does something converting into a big version of something mostly unrelated to it make a fun toy? Maybe BB-8 rolls around a Star destroyer a lot in the film, but even if he does, what use is a large BB-8 in regards to other Hasbro toys?

I mean, if we'd have had a C-3PO bust that turned into the Emperor's throne room....we'd have appreciated the throne troom, maybe, but even as kids we would wonder what the point of the "giant" 3PO was.

I remember in the vintage days how a lot of kids liked the Vader and C-3PO carrying cases.  They were cool ways of storing figures, and kind of doubled as display pieces.  I look at this BB-8 playset as something similar.

As for the concept?  I think kids aren't as locked into a concept like a playset being JUST A PLAYSET as much as adults may be.  I remember plenty of items from the Kenner vintage line that I or friends would re-purpose in other ways than as just a figure or just a vehicle, etc.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:30 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:30 PM »
Yeah I think the utility of it being a playset and a large "companion" type toy like a stuffed animal but a non-stuffed thing...  it's possible it'll make noises or something.  I think the idea is there.  Like Nick said, a playset being something beyond just a playset I believe has some added play value.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 1, 2017, 10:15 AM »
I think the challenge here is whether something needs to have the added design and production cost to transform into something else versus just being a great product on it's own.  I think it's "neat" that they want to make something that has transforming play value, but I firmly believe that they'd get a lot more mileage focusing on making it the best playset they can instead of a swiss army knife of deliverables.  In my head I keep seeing someone at Hasbro shooting down the plastic Death Star playset in favor of the E1 transforming R2 carrying case and I get where some people are frustrated.  I'll wait and see and maybe it will be surprisingly cool, but I wouldn't bet odds on it.   
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today