Author Topic: TLJ 3.75" BB-8 2-in-1 Mega Playset  (Read 28694 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: TLJ 3.75" First Order Playset?
« Reply #15 on: August 1, 2017, 11:37 AM »
I think this is where we get into that territory of the business where making something eye-catching will add to its marketability.  A good number of parents are certainly looking for toys for their kids that will spark imagination.  And Hasbro is very much interested in making those volume sales because that's where the big sales numbers are.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 1, 2017, 01:11 PM »

I remember in the vintage days how a lot of kids liked the Vader and C-3PO carrying cases.  They were cool ways of storing figures, and kind of doubled as display pieces.  I look at this BB-8 playset as something similar.

I had the Vader carrying case. It was nice...for a case. But I never figured a use for it beyond that. Hey, it's a giant Vader statue! Or space ship where everyone stands up straight inside. But it was never billed as anything other than a case.

I would think a star destroyer playset would change into a Star Destroyer (albeit not scaled to its interior). But I suppose characters are more marketable than vehicles.

Reminds me, at a yard sale I picked up some used ROTS "blockade runner" micro set that opens up to...Mustafar? WHAAAT? Those things are related...they are in the same movie!  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: August 3, 2017, 01:12 AM »
Some information on the playset over at Yakface.com including the price and stuff.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 3, 2017, 01:26 AM »
$200?!?!

This thing had better be amazing.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: August 3, 2017, 02:01 AM »

I just doubt it's hallways, an office, or the Death Star Restrooms or whatever.

I think for the price, and what we've gotten for similar, you have at least a ballpark idea kind of what to expect maybe.  Forget the AT-ACT's price last year and it walked and all that too, but this appears to be the "biggie" for this year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2017, 09:55 AM »
#wheresRebels

:(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2017, 09:56 AM »
this appears to be the "biggie" for this year.

Yeah... something more than the fold-out TFA Millennium Falcon ship/playset ($140), but not quite as involved as the RO AT-ACT ($300) was.

Going to be interesting to see what this is exactly.  Also going to be interesting to see how the "bring back playsets" crowd reacts to both the item Hasbro delivers and the price.

#wheresRebels

Fenn Rau, coming in 2018!  :-X
« Last Edit: August 3, 2017, 09:57 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: August 3, 2017, 12:06 PM »
If it's the size of the Jakks BB-8 but tricked out, it could be fun. Curious about it. This probably means the 'gorilla walker' is off the table from Hasbro, which given the performance of the AT-ACT and that this is seemingly bigger, isn't that much of a surprise.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: August 3, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Hopefully, the walker will come out next year.

I doubt the big ticket item for the Han Solo movie could be anything more than the Falcon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: August 3, 2017, 01:40 PM »
BMF really needs dusted off next year yes.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 3, 2017, 01:49 PM »
"Bring Back the Playsets" Guy here.  I applaud the fact that they're doing any kind of playset, but I think execution and cost are big factors in deciding whether or not this is a success.  I was looking for $20-30 modular display sets - a $200 transforming BB-8 playset is a very different thing. 

I really hope this isn't being seen as a single data point test of whether or not playsets can sell. I have a hard time believing whatever this is will be cooler than a plastic vintage Death Star.  I also have a hard time believing that Hasbro couldn't release the original Death Star with a few upgrades/tweaks for $200 or less.  If you connect the dots there, I give this a 5% chance of being anything but a disappointment.  As they say, I have a bad feeling about this...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: August 3, 2017, 04:19 PM »
BMF really needs dusted off next year yes.

This.  Apparently hundreds of dollars for a toy is no obstacle to the market, so Hasbro should be able to pull this off.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: August 3, 2017, 05:23 PM »
I'd heard somewhere the origins Death Star is long dead but I could be wrong.  I don't know if it holds up well today.  Parts do and some don't, so I don't know. 😕  On this time will tell.  Clearly I think Hasbro isn't looking at "stackable" anything and want something with more diversity to it for the investment I guess, but at the price this might be cooler than it's being given credit.  I found the atact pretty cool as a focal thing for a kids collection.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 4, 2017, 05:38 PM »
#wheresRebels

As soon as Filoni announced season 4 was the last season, the management at Hasbro probably had a guy with a trash can go around and throw away everything Rebels in development. It's THE CLONE WARS immediate disengagement all over again.

For fans, I hope not...but I won't be surprised.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: August 4, 2017, 05:43 PM »
I can't say Hasbro had much engagement aside from that initial launch even but yeah given a movie a year, Rebels is really a red headed stepchild in the LFL licensee pushing I guess.

Saw a scratch build model of the ghost recently and it's pretty sweet.  It'd make a nice model kit.