Author Topic: TLJ 3.75" Figure 2-Packs  (Read 19436 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
TLJ 3.75" Figure 2-Packs
« on: August 3, 2017, 10:00 AM »
As rumored, the "versus" 2-Packs are sticking around for TLJ.  Info from Yakface.com:

E8 Foxtrot 1 Grey (Rey) and Victor Guard (Elite Guard) – Figure 2pk
DPCI:  087-06-8319
SKU: 320800845
UPC: 630509519491
MSRP: $14.99

E5 Han Solo and Boba Fett – Figure 2pk
DPCI:  087-06-8319
SKU: 704554914
UPC: 630509519507
MSRP: $14.99
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: TLJ 3.75" Figure 2-Packs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:50 PM »
Saw a lot of the TLJ line at Wizard World Chicago today including the 2 packs. The Rey/Guard set looks really nice and the sculpt on the Fett is solid. What struck me as kinda crappy was the Bespin Han - it's a repaint of the TFA Han which doesn't look good at all.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:40 PM »
the Bespin Han - it's a repaint of the TFA Han which doesn't look good at all.

He may look wonky thanks to the paint aps, but this Han is not a TFA repaint.  He looks all-new; even different from the 2014 Bespin Han sculpt.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 02:56 PM »
the Bespin Han - it's a repaint of the TFA Han which doesn't look good at all.

He may look wonky thanks to the paint aps, but this Han is not a TFA repaint.  He looks all-new; even different from the 2014 Bespin Han sculpt.

I did not have a TFA Han with me to compare, but from what I saw close-up the Bespin Han looked very much like a repaint. Especially in the head and arms. I did look up photos and I don't recall if the coat was the same, that may have changed. So perhaps it is a mix of new and old parts, maybe come Friday someone can post a comparison photo after they buy the 2 pack and we can see how it comes es out
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:23 PM »
Hopefully when we get some nicer high-res, it will be easier to tell, but it looks like he's all-new to me - TFA arms don't have the sleeve pockets; shirt is different, jacket/pockets are different, belt buckle is different, gunbelt buckle is different, hair is parted different...

Looking at the pic again just now makes me even sadder that this Han looks so cheap - guess the guy who painted the Rogue One 2-pack Poe was the one responsible for painting this one too. :(

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:41 AM »
Yeah this is a bummer for me too. Bespin Han is one of my favorite iterations of the character and was looking forward to this one. I'll wait to see it in hand, but still pretty pleased with the last one they did.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:58 AM »
Yeah def a different sculpt there.  The pose is virtually identical though but I can't tell by that pic but it almost looks like the Bespin coat isn't a separate sculpt even.  I'm surprised at how virtually identical that pose is though.  The way the arms hang, the head/neck positioning.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:55 PM »
I sit corrected, thanks for the comparison pic Jeff. Indeed, the sculpts are different but I think as JJ pointed out the poses are almost identical. So without having the TFA Han in hand, it was easy for me to think the Bespin Han was just a simple repaint. In the end, it's still a pretty crappy looking figure - seems to be the case with many of the OT 5 POA figures.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 03:01 AM »
Not just the OT even it's just odd misses here and there I've noticed.  Like the Poe in officer uniform, which wound up looking Eugene Levy to me.  And I held the Rathtar set in my hand and Bala Tik isn't too swift looking.

Yet what I have seen of Luke or the new Rey is great.  I thought most along Finns looked good, and while the stupid goggle issue on the old pilots sucked the sculpts were solid otherwise.

That Poe though?  That was laughable.  Got one cheap online but only to have that officer sculpt handy.

Bala Tik sucking kinda bummed me but the Rathtar looks cool and I liked them so I'm down for two or three.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 08:19 PM »
I'm a bit more interested in getting the Rey VS Praetorian Guard set than Han Solo VS Boba Fett.  Mostly because it's something NEW.

As for Han & Boba?  The sculpt and paint apps on Boba Fett looks decent... for 5 POA.  As for Han?  Eh.  I think the POTJ Bespin Han Solo looks comparable if not better than this new version.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2017, 07:12 PM »
I just opened the Han/Boba 2-pack and while I don't normally care for non-canon ridiculous large accessories, I think the flamethrower back-pack that comes with the set to add to Boba is FANTASTIC. It has the ability to have Fett's regular back-pack and rifle click into the larger back-pack piece, the flames are nice and Boba's stance is well balanced and he stands with no problem wearing the backpack, the extra gear clipped on and his arms sticking straight out with the flames coming out of the gauntlets.

The Han is "meh" - but this backpack and fun new presentation of Boba made the two pack totally worth it for me.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Didn't buy any 2-packs but the guard looks nice, and so does Boba...  The big dumb guns are definitely and improved thing this year, and they appeared less big, and less dumb.  Still not my cup of tea as pack-ins go, but at least a step in the right direction.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 2, 2017, 12:22 AM »
I noticed single pack Rey is angry faced and 2-pack Rey is neutral faced. Is that right? Different heads or well, eye brows?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2017, 12:36 AM »
I noticed single pack Rey is angry faced and 2-pack Rey is neutral faced. Is that right? Different heads or well, eye brows?

Different heads and varied paint operations for her eyebrows. Took me a while to detect the differences in the head sculpt, the most obvious difference is the slightly smaller size of the 2-pack version, plus the way the hair falls around the shoulders is different.

Oh - and the two figures have different phrases via the Force Link device.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2017, 11:24 PM »

Different heads and varied paint operations for her eyebrows. Took me a while to detect the differences in the head sculpt, the most obvious difference is the slightly smaller size of the 2-pack version, plus the way the hair falls around the shoulders is different.

Oh - and the two figures have different phrases via the Force Link device.

The basic carded figures are made in China and the 2-packs are made in Vietnam.  It sounds like the same digital sculpt was used in both places, but slight differences occur in the finished product because of the subtle difference in manufacturing sites.

Means you need them both if you're a completist! ;)