Author Topic: Favorite Line(s) of All Time  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Favorite Line(s) of All Time
« on: September 5, 2017, 05:51 PM »
As I've been going through my collection this year, parting with some of it and reorganizing some of it, it has made me a little nostalgic. I started going back through some of the older threads here and reliving the discussions and excitement as some lines were being released. Obviously, lots of Star Wars, but also the beginnings of the GI Joe 25th line, MOTU Classics, Marvel Legends, etc. Also, as a side note, how great was 2007 for collecting? The 30th Anniversary Collection for Star Wars (with McQuarrie figures), and the beginnings of the GI Joe 25th line!

Anyways, what are some of your favorite toy lines of all time? Childhood (since that is often where it starts) or all the way up to today.  Here's a few off the top of my head:

Star Wars (Vintage)
Star Wars (30th)
Star Wars (VOTC, continuing to the Vintage Collection)
G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Collection
Masters of the Universe Classics
Marvel Legends
DC Universe Classics

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Line(s) of All Time
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2017, 06:06 PM »
Eh. I really don't like toys.  :P

1. GI JOE A Real American Hero
2. Star Wars (Kenner)
3. Star Wars (VOTC)
4. Adventure People (Fisher Price)
5. Super Powers (Kenner)
6. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (LJN and TSR bendies, etc)
7. Masters of the Universe (Mattel)
8.  Playmobil (There's so much of it, partial to the old west theme, also  see lego comment)
9. Battle Beasts (Hasbro)
10. Lego deserves mention, but with regret. Lego is like a  disease...an expensive, never ending disease. LOL. I've avoided it since the 90's.  :-\

And there's line I like that had fun aspects but weren't really that great, like Secret Wars (Mattel), Go-Bots (Tonka) and MASK (Kenner).

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2017, 06:35 PM »
When I was a kid I liked Star Wars the most. I also liked GiJoe, Transformers, MOTU, Mask, TMNT, Voltron, etc.

But oddly for me the only thing that hardcore carried on to adulthood was Star Wars. I have some other lines, but just random stuff. Nothing else I've ever wanted to co or sub focus on
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Oh boy.

Well, I'll take a stab at it. Not in any particular order:

Vintage SW
Modern SW
Playmates Star Trek (et al)
Playmates The Simpsons
Vintage GI Joe

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2017, 09:29 PM »
30th Anniversary Collection is by far my favorite line within Star Wars.  The creativity and breadth was awesome - Yoda & Kybuck?!?!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Star Wars (general) has to be up there but some of my best memories as a kid were with my GIJoes.  My brother and I had all but like 3 things (Sears playset, USS Flagg, and Defiant).

Honorable mentions to MASK, Starcom, Lego (medieval), and Playmobil...

Starcom is the most underrated toy line in history.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Oh yeah, if is get into the childhood lines (outside of Star Wars), Joe and He-Man would be at the top of the list. I never had huge collections of any line in particular (wasn't spoiled enough I guess 😉), but those three definitely topped the list. I had a close friend who between he and his brother had nearly all the Joe stuff, and i have fond memories of bringing my stuff over and combining it with theirs for a lot of battlin' fun.

I probably had the most larger He-Man stuff for some reason, must have been what my parents liked to get me. I was fortunate enough to have both Grayskull and Snake Mountain there. I always wanted Transformers, but didn't have a ton of them. Again, ended up with a lot more Gobots instead (probably way cheaper).

Also liked things like Super Powers, Secret Wars, Thundercats, Silverhawks, MASK, and a little later Ninja Turtles - which was kind of towards the end of the "toy playing" years. I've been watching a lot of Retroblasting on YouTube lately, and it brings back a lot of those memories. Sometimes it makes me want to focus on vintage toy collecting.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2017, 07:58 PM by Brian »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Hmm. Let's see...

-Masters of the Universe. Love, love, love this line. My first action figure was Skeletor, and it was all downhill from there. I have an almost complete museum-quality vintage collection that's easily my favorite part of my collection. I haven't really gotten into the vehicles in this line because I want to buy them with the boxes. That box art was the best in the business.

-GI Joe. I've collected ARAH, the JvC/SpyTroops/VVV stuff, and just about every figure since the 25th line started. And the vehicles too...  :o

-Star Wars, vintage and modern. Wouldn't be here without them, and I swear collecting modern Star Wars has become so ingrained in my routine I don't know what I'd do without it. Is that weird? I can never tell.

-Transformers. I can have these now that I promise not to break them. I really like my G1 collection, mostly reissues. And the modern stuff too, though with these, I really need to go through and get rid of some.

Then there's other stuff I've collected, like Lord of the Rings and Marvel Legends, but I don't put these in the same class as the above lines.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 03:12 AM »
Interesting topic. From when I was a kid until now I've been a fan of the same few lines and, luckily enough, a couple of them have been been in production nearly my whole life, with a couple breaks.

Star Wars: Vintage Kenner and modern Hasbro w/ my fav modern lines being Saga Collection 06, 30th anniversary and The Clone wars.

GI Joe: ARAH when I was a kid and then again with the 25th anniversary but Hasbro also did some fantastic figures and vehicles in the VvV and Spy Troops era.

Fisher Price Adventure people. I loved those toys when I was a kid and were my first action figures.

GI Joe 12": Not much of a collector when I was a kid, just a little young, but started collecting the modern stuff and have a new appreciation for the vintage, especially the Adventure Team.

Lego: I really love all of it but my favorite is the Classic Space stuff which is mainly what I had when I was a kid. I cut way back on the SW stuff (and sold off most of my early years sets) but I'll buy any polybag set still, current City Space sets and I bought most of the final wave of Harry Potter sets.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"