Author Topic: Of course we should buy the new TVC repack waves  (Read 15947 times)

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
Of course we should buy the new TVC repack waves
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Hear me out on this one.

I am a guy who generally opens every toy I buy and leaves almost nothing in the package, so buying repacks that come on cool TVC cards has not been too appealing.

I am also a guy who has stated I would happily pay around $20 a figure for a new subscription line of 3.75” super articulated figures designed for collectors.

The opportunity before me is to tell Hasbro they screwed up by boycotting the first two waves of the TVC relaunch, or realize that “buying in” to a relaunch of a non-exclusive line I really want is a steal priced at $12.99. Two waves of repacks will run about $110. With my previous comfort in paying $20 a figure for a hypothetical toy line, that $110 cost will be absorbed into the first 15-16 new sculpts I buy as the line continues. After that the line will be smooth sailing while enjoying continuous waves at $12.99.

All this is true even though I did manage to pick up an extras of 3.75” TBS from Walmart including two extra Reys, Finn, Poe, Kylo, and a bunch of Stormtroopers when they were marked down to $5.84 this past summer. It has been hard to overlook how excessive these new repacks will be, but I have pulled my head out of my butt and now I see the light.
Macklunkey!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Of course we should buy the new TVC repack waves
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 05:05 PM »
You must do what you think is right, of course.  ;)

I'm of the mind that if someone spends more than they feel they should and/or buy things they don't like (for whatever reasons) that will lead to burn-out.

I'm also the guy who would not support a figure sub service unless I got rich. I understand why people would get rich but I don't get enough (whatever it is) out collecting action figures anymore to routinely spend $20+ each on them.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Hasbro is making their own product management decisions.  If they need to milk existing molds they should understand the supply and demand curve and make fewer of those figures if they think there is less demand (FYI Hasbro - I will not be buying repacks).

I'll be buying every truly new figure they make at whatever reasonable price they charge, and hopefully they'll make more of those as I'm guessing there will be plenty of collectors that only go for the new stuff.

I'm only giving Hasbro the money they deserve and not writing them a blank check for products I don't care for or personally buying up piles of overstock just to support the line.

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Dave, I agreed with everything you said until I realized I don't have to approve a blank check, instead it's just $110 or so to vote in support of this line to ensure the releases of Yak face  Sim Aloo, and maybe the Tonnika Sisters.
Macklunkey!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 11:08 AM »
I can think of about 1,000 other places I'd rather use that $110 than to show support for line being made by a company that I've already spent thousands of dollars with over the years, and made a $788 million profit on revenue of over $5b last year. 

But hey, it's your money!  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:11 AM by Rob »

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 11:48 AM »
If they need to milk existing molds

There is no 'if'.  Milking existing molds to kick off a 3.75" SA line is the new norm.
  • 2015 - full case of repacks (Chewbacca, Vader, ROTJ Luke) before we got to the new TFA figures
  • 2016 - full case of repacks (Ackbar, Ahsoka, Lando, ERG) before we got to Rogue One stuff
  • 2017 - full case of repacks (Ponda, ProtoFett, Sandtrooper, Tusken) before getting to the TLJ figures
  • 2018 is probably gonna be the same...
The repacks are mixed for me. I'm not a carded collector anymore, so they do nothing for me for the most part.  I'm sure there are plenty of TVC collectors out there who will re-buy them because of the card though.

If they clean up the visor deco, I can see myself grabbing a couple FO Stormtroopers.  Maybe a couple Hoth Troopers if I find them on sale.  Can't see myself buying all the repacks though.

Repacks to me are the price we pay for keeping the line at $13.  I'd pay $15-20 each if it meant less straight repacks and more all-new figures, but I fully understand that's because I'm lucky enough to be in a spot in my life where I can waste $15-20 on an action figure and not hurt my family.   :-\

I've already spent thousands of dollars with over the years

I think it's safe to say tens of thousands...  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 12:29 PM »
If they need to milk existing molds

There is no 'if'.  Milking existing molds to kick off a 3.75" SA line is the new norm.
  • 2015 - full case of repacks (Chewbacca, Vader, ROTJ Luke) before we got to the new TFA figures
  • 2016 - full case of repacks (Ackbar, Ahsoka, Lando, ERG) before we got to Rogue One stuff
  • 2017 - full case of repacks (Ponda, ProtoFett, Sandtrooper, Tusken) before getting to the TLJ figures
  • 2018 is probably gonna be the same...
The repacks are mixed for me. I'm not a carded collector anymore, so they do nothing for me for the most part.  I'm sure there are plenty of TVC collectors out there who will re-buy them because of the card though.

It has become the collecting equivalent of Lucy pulling away the football before Charlie Brown can kick it.  You know she's going to do it, but maybe this time she won't.  Same thing with Hasbro.  They offer up these repacks saying "The new figures weren't ready for the line rollout" or "We couldn't reveal those characters yet", and the reissues "Are there to keep core characters in circulation" or to "Hold the peg space in the planogram until the new figures are ready".

To say it's frustrating is an incredible understatement.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 12:46 PM »

It's definitely at least $10,000 - I'm not sure it's $20,000 though. For me at least.

I mean, it PROBABLY is... I've got around 3,000 figures that I bought from anywhere from $1 to $13 (with a few exclusives being higher), then all those play sets and vehicles and creatures...

That money is spread out over the course of 22 years though.  Of course, I'm also not counting Gentle Giant and Lego in these numbers.

I'm definitely keeping that $110.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 01:04 PM »
I'm in for army builders and anything I haven't seen already.  Plus, my displays could always use another Chewbacca or R2-D2.

I see no change in my collecting habits, I will buy what I want and pass on what I don't think will fit in my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Try the Kool-aid you guys. Seriously, its going to be worth it.
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 10:41 PM »

It's definitely at least $10,000 - I'm not sure it's $20,000 though. For me at least.

Just checked my database and looks like its slightly above $30,000 for me (counting Kenner and Hasbro, but not Galoob). 

Hasbro already has a decent down payment from me and is not getting another $110 for repacks.  I'll wait for the new figures.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59 PM »
I'd be more supportive of re-packs if Hasbro included the harder-to-get releases, canon be damned.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 12:55 AM »
Like Jeff said, this is the "new norm".  Fact is, even at least this first year, TVC isn't going to be a focal line or anything.  It seems much more, to me, just a sub-line kind of like how it originally was, and how it currently is, with just a little wider retailer net than just Wal-Mart.  But still limited numbers.  I'm not shocked in the least that repacks are happening.

Not sure what I'll buy and what I won't.  I keep the TVC packaging, and I kinda like having all of it, but I'm not sure how much I'll want TFA figures on it.  Like Han, Leia, Phasma, Finn are not things I'm sure I'd rebuy just for cardbacks.  Rey, Kylo, and a Stormtrooper I might though, and Poe because I'd be fine having another figure of him I guess. 

Rogue One, I'd rebuy all of it happily.  I liked the movie more, I like the era more, and to me that's like OT figures really.  I'd love to see all the Rogues get the TVC treatment with (obviously) better figures for the mains including Krennic.  I'd just love to see RO figures galore really in that line.  Would love the Stormtrooper with the new pack, the tankers, AT-ACT Drivers, Shoretroopers of all variety...  And I'll gladly buy Cassian, Jyn, and more Death Troopers for the card.

I'd love some sensible repacks too though.  I think the Hoth Trooper is a good choice, and I think the Echo Trooper would be an even better one.  But I mean it's inevitable they'll slip a Vader in there, maybe TVC Han will make a comeback...  I want all new figures too, but I'm not banking on the line having more of those than repacks.  Maybe.  They pull it off now with TBS at Wal-Mart, so maybe after a year they'll get to more new.  But yeah, this is how it is.  This is how it's been, really.

I'm just glad things I prefer are going to be out again in some form, at more than one store.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 05:38 PM »
I'll probably end up buying the repacks just because i think figures on vintage cards look so awesome anyway.  What's frustrating to me as a collector though is the expectation that we should buy anything just to support the line.  If they really wanted this to succeed, why not charge a buck more and throw a collectible POTF coin in the package?  They'd save on figure design and production, but give those of us who are less excited about doubles a stronger incentive to buy them all.  It feels to me like the narrative is "We'll give you some of what you want if you'll also buy some things you already have."  Followed by a strong dose of "If it doesn't sell, collector's didn't support us enough.  If it does sell, we have justification to raise the price." 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:36 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I'll probably end up buying the repacks just because i think figures on vintage cards look so awesome anyway. 

I definitely will for that very reason.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."