Author Topic: LFL/Disney Announce New Star Wars Trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson  (Read 8734 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
RIAN JOHNSON, WRITER-DIRECTOR OF STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, TO CREATE ALL-NEW STAR WARS TRILOGY

"As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."
« Last Edit: November 9, 2017, 05:01 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: LFL/Disney Announce New Star Wars Trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2017, 05:07 PM »
YES.

ALL OF THIS.

CAN'T WAIT.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 9, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Come on Knights of the Old Republic!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2017, 05:21 PM »
I'm not totally sold on this yet without more details. 

I really enjoyed Rogue One and the tie ins to the existing story line, but I'm not sure I would enjoy movies that were set in the same universe that weren't well tied in.  I've got different standard for live action TV where I would be all in on this though, but movies, not so much.

I know this announcement is fairly generic and could be all about bounty hunters, maybe a Kenobi trilogy, or something completely different like the travels of ICMG.

I'll be interested to learn more about this.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Will be interesting when they reveal what this is and just how strict they are with the "a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

Do they mean "never before explored" in movies (KOTOR, SWTOR, etc) or do they mean "never before explored" EVER?

My main take-away here is that LFL is obviously all-in on Rian.  For them to give him the keys to world-build a new trilogy of movies and kick things off by writing/directing it, must mean they have HUGE confidence in Ep8.  Makes me happy after the run of bad luck they had with Lord/Miller and Trevorrow.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2017, 05:28 PM »
It sounds like they've been reading my posts here!

In all seriousness, I think this is great news!  They are going to tell stories of the larger Star Wars Universe!

Also, they must really love what he's done with The Last Jedi!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2017, 07:12 PM »
Really a ton of potential here and happy they are finally going beyond just the Skywalker saga.  They could go KOTOR or Mandolorians and completely stay away from the Sage era movies, or they could do things like explore Ashoka, Kenobi, Rogue Squadron, Thrawn or a myriad of other characters that haven't had their due in the Saga era.

I just hope that if they stay in the current Saga era, they don't do too many cameos or try to tie in too many things just so the average viewer knows the movies take place in the same universe.

On a personal note, I would love for them to do a Republic Commandos trilogy that feels like a true war saga.  Would really like a 'Black Hawk Down' type film set during the Clone Wars.  However, I know that's just a pipe dream.

The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2017, 09:00 PM »
So many things they could do.

A lot of folks are mentioning Kenobi - I still hope we see that. I would love that. I'm also ready for something completely new. I'm ok with new, with different, with unique. I'd love to see the aesthetic and the universe broaden.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 02:27 AM »
I've been feeling pretty bad lately but this news really perked me up today!  It's kind of mind-boggling how far this could go, and how Star Wars could basically be unending.  I mean, I have to say, I'm kinda bummed I may never see all of it because it may simply go on beyond my life with more and more stories, and at one point that was never a thought I'd ever considered.

I am very excited though.  I love going to see the new movies with friends and family...  I can't say everything about them is great to me, but they've been pretty damn good to me, and Rogue One was just fantastic.  I feel like I will like The Last Jedi a lot, but I've really come to like the characters and I'm just excited to see where their stories go.

But a whole NEW trilogy?  New areas?  Possibly new eras?  New characters?  I don't even know what to think because the possibilities are endless.  I could see them doing a longer term galactic civil war focused movie series, or pre-Clone Wars era.  Just so much to think about that they can do. 

I can only imagine the complaining already from some circles, but I just like going to the theater to watch some good old fashioned Star Wars on the big screen.  I envy you guys with younger kids, for being able to share this.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:56 AM »
I'm guessing these won't be numbered X-XII since it's not about the Skywalkers. I'm interested to see where this goes, but this could go off in a direction I don't care for. I guess it's kind of the way I felt about Guardians of the Galaxy, and I ended up loving those movies, so.

I don't know in what time period this takes place, but a series of movies about the founding of the Jedi Order and the Old Republic would get lots of my money.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 09:25 AM »
This is great news I guess, but I cant help but feel a little bummed too. Like Jesse said, there's the real possibility now that the stories will outlive me, and I feel disappointed knowing I wont be a party to it all. It also serves as a pretty stark reminder that the toys are just going to keep coming forever and eventually I will reach a breaking point which I am not looking forward to...sigh.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 12:37 PM »
I mean, I have to say, I'm kinda bummed I may never see all of it because it may simply go on beyond my life with more and more stories, and at one point that was never a thought I'd ever considered.

I accepted this when the Disney sale happened, and also when Carrie Fisher died. SW will survive without her, and all of our heroes, and all of us. That's great. Part of me would like to take a peek a hundred or two hundred years from now, and see what the story is then. Is is Shakespeare? Is it forgotten? Part of me is glad I won't know, and that my luck is being a kid that lived the beginning.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2017, 06:51 PM »
During the press junket for THE LAST JEDI, director Rian Johnson has also been fielding questions about the new trilogy that he's been signed to write and produce.  And indications are that it's not going to be an Old Republic type of story.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: December 6, 2017, 08:13 PM »
Gotta say, good.  I’d prefer something else personally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2017, 08:34 AM »
Same here.  Telling a new story seems so much more worthwhile.  And that's not meant to diminish KOTOR or the Old Republic in general, but we've seen a bunch of those stories already.  Why tell them all over again?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback