Author Topic: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 182573 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 04:46 PM »
I have a dude on my twitter timeline claiming Star Wars was just mindless fantasy genre till all this Disney era politics... 

Cuz yeah this never ever had political messages till Disney.

I hate people just not wanting to admit they just don’t like the “political message” of women’s equality, diversity, etc.  I mean I get it, they’re not to your political leaning but don’t just claim the past two trilogies were void of this stuff and now that’s why you don’t like it.

Also sick of every goddam thing you try to talk about with Star Wars being met with “I don’t like it”.  We all get it if you don’t, and don’t need to hear it yet again.  Cool, but we do and are trying to talk about it and move on with our lives and general enjoyment of the franchise. 

“I don’t like it” doesn’t need repeated in every conversation where clearly other people do and don’t want to try to sway your opinion. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 08:24 PM »
I could get behind this idea...glad to finally be exploring this era!

Rogue Squadron? The First Knights of Ren?

Interest piqued!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I have a dude on my twitter timeline claiming Star Wars was just mindless fantasy genre till all this Disney era politics... 

Cuz yeah this never ever had political messages till Disney.

I hear that stuff and I have to laugh, especially in light of recent interviews that have shed more light on the current parallels that George Lucas was trying to draw in the OT.  Hell, he just spoke about some of that when he sat down with James Cameron for that show he has on AMC.  Lucas said very clearly that he intended for the Empire to be a representation of the United States in the time of the Vietnam war, and for the Rebellion to be the Viet Cong.  The fact that OT fans want to disregard that is entirely on them.  They never looked beyond the surface of the material that they hold in such esteem.  So when it comes to all of the negativity from these so-called "fans"?  It's more and more clear that they just don't get it.

I think the period between the OT and the ST is fertile ground for new story telling.  It has only been explored in print thus far.  And now we have this show that takes place in the decade after Endor, and Filoni's show that takes place in the decade before TFA.  I think that Favreau has come such a long way as a filmmaker.  I love what he did with Iron Man in the MCU on multiple fronts:  writing, directing, producing, etc.  He has a great visual sensibility.  He knows the material.  And I'm really optimistic about where this is all going to lead. 

A post Imperial era is interesting to explore.  Because a fledgling New Republic will encounter a lot of challenges:  the remaining factions that may be loyal to the Empire, and eventually became the First Order.  The crime syndicates like Black Sun or the Hutts.  And keeping the peace in this new era.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 04:26 PM »
With Favreau at the helm this definitely has potential.

I just hope it’s far removed from the main characters.  Just mentions of their names only please.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I think it would have to be.  I could certainly see regular mentions of Luke Skywalker being lauded as a legendary hero, and how that legend grew over time.  And Leia is a major political player in the New Republic.

One point that I'm curious about?  Will they address Force sensitive people and their possible growth in using the Force?  Force sensitive people were either rounded up by the Empire, or likely did not have their abilities fostered to the point of being adept at using the Force.

I think links to some OT characters as well as ST characters would be in order.  I definitely would not want to see that sort of thing overdone, but some connective tissue would be nice to see.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 4, 2018, 08:11 AM »
Check out the announcement from showrunner Jon Favreau on Instagram:

THE MANDALORIAN
After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe.
The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order.
We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy
far from the authority of the New Republic...

And some additional news has emerged about production personnel for THE MANDALORIAN.  According to this Making Star Wars post.  Notable items:

-The streaming platform will be called DISNEY PLAY
-Season 1 will likely have a run of 8 episodes
-Jon Favreau will direct the first and final episodes of the season
-Additional directors may also include Alan Taylor (Game of Thrones, Thor - The Dark World) and Dave Filoni

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 4, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Sounds pretty good.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 4, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Coming in 2019

The Official Site also revealed who some of the episode directors will be. They include: Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Rick Famuyiwa (Dope), Bryce Dallas Howard (Solemates), and Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok)

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 08:18 AM »
The lead in The Mandalorian has reportedly been cast, and according to Variety it will be actor Pedro Pascal.  You may know him from television roles on HBO's Game of Thrones, Narcos on Netflix and the film Kingsmen - The Golden Circle.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 08:22 AM »
The lead in The Mandalorian has reportedly been cast, and according to Variety it will be actor Pedro Pascal.  You may know him from television roles on HBO's Game of Thrones, Narcos on Netflix and the film Kingsmen - The Golden Circle.

Very interesting choice...I like him, should be good.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 03:40 PM »
The need an episode where he fights the Mountain and wins.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 04:55 PM »
I demand a 3.75" SA action figure!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 06:12 PM »
And I second Matt’s demand, and raise it an SA line of kick ass figures overall.

I’m sure our demands will be met.  Yeah.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 06:21 PM »
They better have alternate heads and multiple weapons. Maybe Figuarts style. And let's do $9.99 each
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 07:20 PM »
Extra hands too like sideshow/hot toys does.  And a free meal at Texas Roadhouse.