Author Topic: Star Wars Toys Sales Fall With 'The Last Jedi'  (Read 2745 times)

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Star Wars Toys Sales Fall With 'The Last Jedi'
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:39 AM »
I came across this article regarding a slump in the sales of the toys for the TLJ movie, stemming from a variety of possible causes from changes in the what kids are interested in to movie fatigue.  I know I’m not seeing the figures and ships move so quickly this time around, despite them being decent products... And I definitely wasn’t as motivated to get a ton of new toys for the new movie.  What this trend holds for the future of our hobby is anyone’s guess, but it is an interesting little read.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/18/star-wars-the-last-jedi-toys-drop-disappointment/

Not sure where to put this post, so moderators please feel free to move to the correct forum if not here.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Toys Sales Fall With 'The Last Jedi'
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Another take on over-saturation.

Frankly, I think the 18 month gap between SOLO and Episode 9 will serve the franchise well, both at the box office AND from a merchandising standpoint.  The line needs some time and space to breathe.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I've learned there is no reason to ever buy wave 1 or 2 figures on release date. I can buy them at any time over the next few years at discount. They will be clogging the pegs for a long time.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01 PM »
They come out with way too much product at the start of these lines. I get it. Stores want to make sure they have enough product. However, it does not need to be out 4 months before a film starts with 20 plus figures. It did not help that Ren's fighter is in the film 5 seconds and Crait Speeder does nothing other than make pretty red marks under the salt.
 That overpriced play set doesn't help and neither does that $20 gadget to make figures speak. Plus,  not enough fans have bought into 5 POA at all. Then they don't make Force Projection Luke, Resistance Bomber, Phasma Damaged helmet or a new Walker. The film's didn't have many memorable aliens either. It is mostly drab humans or a grumpy old man to pick up. No memorable bad guys to buy in a mask other than Troopers and guards.  Kylo is okay, but he is no Vader to buy at the stores. A dude with long hair that talks to a girl most of the film and takes his shirt off.  It just doesn't translate well to toys.