Author Topic: Does anybody buy vintage cardbacks anymore?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Does anybody buy vintage cardbacks anymore?
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I've gotten out of the SW buying/selling/collecting business and still have a few things I'm going to get rid of.  Does anybody still buy vintage cardbacks?  I've got a handful from my Han Solo focus.

Also, is AFA still in business?  I thought about getting a Han Solo loose figure graded that I pulled from a badly cracked bubble, but am uncertain if I'm going to get it graded.  I'm not sure if AFA is still in business being that I couldn't pull up their website.  Second, I'm not sure if the payoff will be enough to justify sending the figure in.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Does anybody buy vintage cardbacks anymore?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:06 PM »
People definitely still buy cardbacks, in fact depending on condition some cardbacks go for more than loose figures!! If no one on JD is interested, I am sure you can find hits on the various Facebook groups dedicated to vintage.

AFA is still around, don’t know what is up with their website, but despite competition from CAS and UKG they are still in business. I personally am not a fan of grading loose figures, they lose their charm being encased in acrylic in my opinion. But if you think you can get a high grade, then there is that premium you obtain for resale value.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 05:13 PM »
AFA is still around,

That's too bad.  I was hoping the Toy Toni (Tony?) situation would have woken people up to what a corrosive scam that whole thing is.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:27 PM »
What happened with that Rob?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26 PM »
What happened with that Rob?

Total scandal.  This guy bought up a ton of unused cardbacks and bubbles from a factory somewhere. Then he bought up tons of mint and AFA-U figures and sealed them on the unused cards.  He apparently did this for like 20 years and there are tons of fakes out there.

Also, AFA was validating them as authentic all along.  Which to me means that their service is worthless.

https://rctoymemories.com/2015/04/09/the-star-wars-toy-packaging-scandal/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:27 PM by Rob »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Holy crap!!!  How does something like that happen unless AFA was in cahoots with someone?  I can see something slipping through every now and then.  I mean, we've also seen some phenomenal fakes, but wow, that's totally unacceptable.

I did stumble across a few things after you posted yesterday, but wasn't inclined enough to read through page after page after page covering some of the mess.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Yeah the whole thing is insane.  The video piece I watched the other day said that the fakes are still worth like 60% of what the real thing is worth.

Why, I have no idea...

To me the whole thing should cast a huge cloud over all vintage carded collecting - since the only real difference between a Toy Tony MOC and a factory MOC was the air inside the bubble and the left over creases / deformations from the sealing process.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Holy crap!!!  How does something like that happen unless AFA was in cahoots with someone?  I can see something slipping through every now and then.  I mean, we've also seen some phenomenal fakes, but wow, that's totally unacceptable.

I did stumble across a few things after you posted yesterday, but wasn't inclined enough to read through page after page after page covering some of the mess.

Well, my understanding is that the cardbacks were real and the bubbles were real, so at least most of the components were authentic.  I'm guessing the guy only included fairly mint looking figures - maybe even sealed figures from damaged cards.  Its a forgery, but sounds like a tough one to identify.  It does show how worthless the whole AFA stamp is - I was hoping that story would be the end of them. 

Rob - did you see any info on how to determine if a vintage carded is authentic or a TT imposter?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Rob - did you see any info on how to determine if a vintage carded is authentic or a TT imposter?

I'm no expert, but in the link I posted a few posts up, there's a television story about it from Britain and the guy they're interview goes over the telltale signs. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 9, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I still have my original card backs from when I was a kid. I wonder what I could get for them?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 10:55 PM »
I bought one but only because it had a few of the offers on the same card. I don't have money to buy anymore. Yes, AFA was at SDCC this year and I spoke to them. I tried to get a Hungarian cardback graded and he said he's never seen one and can't grade it. I told him they grade the figures but they've never seen a cardback that's weird, then I showed him pictures on my phone. He told me to send it to CIB, I told them if I send it to CIB then why should I send it to you guys don't you guys authenticate items when you grade them?
He's no good to me open