Author Topic: 2018 HasLab - TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)  (Read 136838 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2018 TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 07:35 PM »
What can you say?

Amazing. Absolutely nuts, but amazing. I won't be buying this, sadly - five or six years ago, sure - but I want it to succeed. I want to see the pics of the people that bought two, one to open and one to keep in the box. This is a good outlet for Hasbro to these things, and maybe there's a Death Star down the line. But don't skip a meal, or a car payment, or any other nonsense some people may be advocating. Don't get shamed into a different class of collector. Enjoy this and all the other good stuff.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 07:40 PM »
No more fast food drive thru food, or stupid spending for me for a while, because I am going to back this. 

I assume some collector shops/vendors will make some orders too knowing that they could later flip it for much more.  Some collectors will likely do that too.

What we need is for some billionaire collector to come out of the closet and fund half of these and sell them through their own business.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Here's my thinking on how this went down...

- Hasbro decided they would give making this vehicle a go, perhaps even due his potential retirement looming on the horizon, they had Mark Boudreaux (who is an awesome guy, if you ever have a chance to talk with him at a show like Star Wars Celebration, I highly recommend it) take a stab at it
- the vehicle was designed, the process was documented and Hasbro made a prototype with the intent on using the prototype and the documented process to sell it to retailer(s)
- unfortunately, they couldn't get any retailers to take the plunge, they may have even been in talks with Toys R Us to carry it until the bankruptcy decision occurred - frankly the line as a whole is in trouble at retail, nothing ever sells through and most launch-day times stick around until deep discounts/clearances, Hasbro is now 3-for-3 with the recent movies in this regard
- instead of just wasting the development resources already put into the piece they decided to do what other companies have done (such as Mattel with Castle Greyskull) and go the crowd-funding route
- they picked a drop-dead minimum and that's where the 5000 comes from. At $500 each, my guess would be that Hasbro is estimating that it will cost them $1.25M to create the necessary molds and manufacturing process to mass produce, at a minimum, 5000 units, which would mean that for each Sail Barge sold, Hasbro makes $250 profit

Granted my profit to cost ratio of 100% may be off, but how else can you explain that there is a pretty complete looking prototype AND that on the deadline day of the backing period, if the required minimum is reached they will ship all backers a bound book detailing the development process of this piece.

I applaud Hasbro for finally being willing to give it a try. While I want to see it succeed, I pledged my support for two of them with the thinking that there's only a 40% chance it's even going to get to the 5000 backer goal. Having 3000 signatures on a petition is A LOT different than getting 5000 collectors to commit to a $500 purchase for a item they won't see for almost a full calendar year.

The biggest reason why I want this to succeed is because it opens the door for other iconic items to be in the running for similar treatment - Death Star Playset, Star Destroyer, Cloud City, Ewok Village are all potential candidates for this kind of treatment. It doesn't have to be big projects either - another great idea for this type of process would be to finish up remaking modern versions of the old Kenner Vintage line Sim Aloo, Power Droid, Max Rebo Band - and entire TVC wave that's crowd-funded - at least then the purchase price for a set might be in the ball-park of $100 for 6-7 figures - a lot more accessible from a pay-to-play standpoint.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Finally... The Barge itself, and finally Hasbro tries a bold new distribution model.

Now I'm really happy I bought that 50 inch long display case last year when my Sears closed.
Macklunkey!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 08:41 PM »
Ugh yeah half that looked like ****.  Clearly I was working off my phone.  Apologies for spamming the thread I just figured most people would find the information here so I was furiously typing like a 15 year old on my phone.  I even have a 6S+ and it's still too small for my pudgy digits.  haha
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 08:41 PM »
The biggest reason why I want this to succeed is because it opens the door for other iconic items to be in the running for similar treatment

Ditto. I'd love for this to be an avenue for us to get "background cantina alien #15" or something else amazing they'd never consider for regular retail (AOTC Cliegg with Chair; modern Yoda's Dagobah Hut, a new correctly scaled Skiff to go with Khetanna, a correctly scale escape pod w/3PO and R2, etc).

I plunked down my money.  I agree that it seems like a long shot, but I'd be kicking myself if I didn't at least try to get it made when we had the chance...   :)

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 08:57 PM »
If 5000 people don't step up to get this made, I really hope I can stop reading about how important collectors still are to the hobby, because 5000 is a drop in the bucket in terms of #s of people who buy Star Wars stuff.  I honestly think it's very obtainable.  People just BLEW through the kickstarter for another toy line right now.  I mean just tore it up in 24 hours and were into the stretch goals within 48. 

$500 is a lot of money for all of us, I totally get that.  And I totally get it if you can't justify paying it and supporting this.  But at the same time that number seemed shockingly low to me for them to make it feasible.  I dunno.  I hope it gets done.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 09:25 PM »
436 down as I write this...

Totally on the fence about this for myself. I love that it is happening at all. I've never been the biggest Jabba fan, so this doesn't feel to me like a "Holy Grail" type purchase, except for all the pomp and circumstance now surrounding its creation--the SW version of the USS Flagg, as has already been mentioned.

If I don't go for it, it'd be more for a lack of space than a money issue. This thing is worth $500, I have no doubt.

If it had been a Death Star or Cloud City, they could've doubled the size and the price and I wouldn't bat an eye...I'd find room for those.

I see this making it through the gate, though. I mean, there are collectors out there who bought the BB-8 playset the day it came out, and the Black Series TIE Fighter...there is an audience, and Hasbro figured out how to remove the need to vacillate on when to buy based on whether or not it will hit clearance.

If it looks like it will make it easy, I may just pass and wait for "my" Holy Grail to come 'round. If it looks like it'll be close, it may push me to go in with you all. I never did get around to making a Jabba's Palace display shelf...

I am so happy to have this question at all!

(446 in by the time I finished typing...)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 09:32 PM »
If 5000 people don't step up to get this made, I really hope I can stop reading about how important collectors still are to the hobby

Nope, if it does not get funded, you know 'collectors' are just going to blame Hasbro.

"$500 was too much"
"they should have given us a $250 dumbed down version"
"if it had come with 20 figures I would have bought it"
"They should have picked The Ghost [*or insert some other more recent ship*] instead!"

I'm going over the high-res pics Hasbro sent out (should have them posted soon).  I feel so bad for that poor, dead, rotting Ithorian stuck in the detention cell.  :'(

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:33 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Yeah the Ithorian carcass made me sad too for some reason.  Like they're just guys out there, kinda ugly, and Jabba gets away with **** like that.  That's a travesty.

Funny he has more articulation than any Hammerhead figure we have btw.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 09:41 PM »
Here's my thinking on how this went down...

- Hasbro decided they would give making this vehicle a go, perhaps even due his potential retirement looming on the horizon, they had Mark Boudreaux (who is an awesome guy, if you ever have a chance to talk with him at a show like Star Wars Celebration, I highly recommend it) take a stab at it
- the vehicle was designed, the process was documented and Hasbro made a prototype with the intent on using the prototype and the documented process to sell it to retailer(s)
- unfortunately, they couldn't get any retailers to take the plunge, they may have even been in talks with Toys R Us to carry it until the bankruptcy decision occurred - frankly the line as a whole is in trouble at retail, nothing ever sells through and most launch-day times stick around until deep discounts/clearances, Hasbro is now 3-for-3 with the recent movies in this regard
- instead of just wasting the development resources already put into the piece they decided to do what other companies have done (such as Mattel with Castle Greyskull) and go the crowd-funding route
- they picked a drop-dead minimum and that's where the 5000 comes from. At $500 each, my guess would be that Hasbro is estimating that it will cost them $1.25M to create the necessary molds and manufacturing process to mass produce, at a minimum, 5000 units, which would mean that for each Sail Barge sold, Hasbro makes $250 profit

This is my post from May 2011...

I had heard at one point that the Sail Barge was on the short list, and even in the modeling phase,

I'm pretty sure I can tell you for fact that the prototype for this has been around FOR YEARS. Done during the golden age before Disney. I know it's pretty crappy to say that I can't reveal my source, but I do have an industry colleague/friend who saw this, or some iteration of it at a location I can't mention in an open forum.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 09:44 PM »
Good sleuthing on that Ant, that's a good memory man.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 09:51 PM »
High Res pics...  I don't normally post the FULL giant size pics, but in a case like this, it's worth it to pour over the details.  Below, there are 120x230 thumbnails that link to 1200x2300 pics with a link below them to a FULL SIZE 3600x6900 picture to ogle.

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Click for FULL SIZE pic

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 09:55 PM »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 10:09 PM »
I can't stop looking at the high-res pics...  the Ithorian, the mini-rancor, the rancor claws on the partitions; the gamorrean head on the wall; the sink, grill, and frogs in the galley, it's all too much goodness.  :o