Author Topic: 2018 HasLab - TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)  (Read 135755 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2018, 06:12 PM »
I was half a joking about the credit card thing, but half serious.  20 years ago I would have done it, in spite of it potentially opening a Pandora's box.  That's pretty much the whole deal with credit cards.  Instant gratification, prolonged debt.  Potentially prolonged satisfaction too though.  It can be a mixed bag and obviously a lot of people get themselves into trouble.

That just depends on how you handle your finances of course... for me, I've paid my cards off in full every month for my entire life, and I put EVERYTHING on the credit card, because if my account number gets stolen, it's VISA's money getting taken, not mine.  I had a weird charge a year or two ago for $16,500 and I just reported it and got a new card 2 days later.  Piece of cake, nothing out of my checking.

Also, I get about $50 a month in cash back.

So yeah, I'm all about credit cards, but not as a way to buy stuff I can't afford.

And with that in mind, I just made it official and put down for the Sail Barge... it went to 928 when I finished.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2018, 06:21 PM »
Glad you got yours ordered!

I personally do have credit card debt, but it's sustainable (mostly).  Sometime this year, I plan on having a pretty big Star Wars purge and that will wipe out a lot of it, and also hopefully pay for a good part of a 2019 family Disney trip.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2018, 06:34 PM »

I personally do have credit card debt, but it's sustainable (mostly).  Sometime this year, I plan on having a pretty big Star Wars purge and that will wipe out a lot of it, and also hopefully pay for a good part of a 2019 family Disney trip.

Hey, tons of people do.  I hope it all works out nicely for you!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2018, 06:59 PM »
Almost everyone in the US does.  It's pretty common.  It's also a cycle and something they don't teach you about in High School for basic adulting later in life haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2018, 07:05 PM »
But at least you can write in cursive
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2018, 07:21 PM »

Hey, tons of people do.  I hope it all works out nicely for you!

Thanks!

Unfortuantely, I fear the customizing market has dropped a lot (smaller group of people buying them).  I should have tried to sell a lot of customs many years ago.  Just been too lazy to do get around to it.  I plan on giving it a go though in the coming months.  I might be surprised but I am going to tempter my expectations. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Almost everyone in the US does.  It's pretty common.  It's also a cycle and something they don't teach you about in High School for basic adulting later in life haha.

No doubt, personal finance should be taught in high school.

Back to the Sail Barge... closing in on 1,000 pre-orders on day 2.

I really hope it can sustain this kind of momentum once the convention is over.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2018, 09:00 PM »
But at least you can write in cursive

Hah.  I've almost forgotten how to do that at this point. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Woot!  1000 backers...

...Getting to 5000 though seems really far out and I'm trying not to get my hopes up

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2018, 11:01 AM »
It'll be interesting to see if there are a few big jumps in the coming weeks as international groups figure out the logistics behind getting access to this. 

Did Hasbro say why they were excluding international customers?  Shipping logistics too hard, or no rights to sell internationally, or challenges with "exclusives" and different international laws?

That cuts out a potentially very large amount of customers if you just say US only.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I don't know if there's any truth to it, but someone commented in a Reddit thread that Hasbro was looking for ways to open it up to international buyers.

I think if they do, it makes 5k no problem. 

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23 AM »
I don't know if there's any truth to it, but someone commented in a Reddit thread that Hasbro was looking for ways to open it up to international buyers.

I think if they do, it makes 5k no problem.

I saw on FB that the crew from JediNews in the UK was hearing from Hasbro that they are looking to see what they can do for international orders
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 11:25 AM »
1149 1151 so far. It's moving.

I feel like most of these kickstarters have extensions though. I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up, but <meladrama>my life will be incomplete without that sail barge mounted above the minibar in my office/collection room</melodrama>. I mean, I already have that Jabba's Palace coffee table in the same ******* room. It's like it's meant to be!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:40 AM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Did Hasbro say why they were excluding international customers?  Shipping logistics too hard, or no rights to sell internationally, or challenges with "exclusives" and different international laws?

A few of the OUS markets do have distribution agreements/laws where Hasbro can't technically do direct-to-consumer (which is why HTS is mainly just US and Canada), but my understanding is shipping logistics are also a factor (not wanting to have to set up the site to compute/predict shipping rates on a 14-lb item all over the world a year from now).

I can see them working things out to get Canada into the mix (using the same agreements they have for HTS), but the rest of the world is probably going to have to wait and see.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2018, 12:12 PM »
This thing has been all over the collecting sites and also just pop culture sites in general, like Gizmodo and stuff like that. I'm hoping that gives it a nice boost. We're at 1164 right now.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram