Author Topic: 2018 HasLab - TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)  (Read 135731 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2018, 12:17 PM »
One point of curiosity?  Will some of the bigger etailers take the plunge and commit to ordering some of these?  I'm thinking very specifically of sites like EE, BBTS, BriansToys, etc.  Because they might be able to fill some of the gaps for foreign clients who cannot be served directly by Hasbro.  There may be money to be made for the etailers to explore such an option.  But if they do take a position, how many do they commit to?  At $500 each these are not cheap.  And can the international buyers deal with the likely markup from a third party seller?

I really want to see where the campaign stands in one week.  I think we knew that there would be a strong initial response.  But will the campaign backing be up to 2,500 orders, or 50% of the goal within a week's time?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2018, 12:22 PM »
Maybe the etailers should have their own kickstarter, for international customers.  ;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Did Hasbro say why they were excluding international customers?  Shipping logistics too hard, or no rights to sell internationally, or challenges with "exclusives" and different international laws?

A few of the OUS markets do have distribution agreements/laws where Hasbro can't technically do direct-to-consumer (which is why HTS is mainly just US and Canada), but my understanding is shipping logistics are also a factor (not wanting to have to set up the site to compute/predict shipping rates on a 14-lb item all over the world a year from now).

I can see them working things out to get Canada into the mix (using the same agreements they have for HTS), but the rest of the world is probably going to have to wait and see.

ADAM PAWLUS.....PAGING ADAM PAWLUS!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2018, 05:21 PM »
Did I really just commit $500 -- $500!! -- to buy... Thirteen. Pounds. Of plastic?

When I die, I want my ashes placed inside the sail barge and the barge exploded over the Yuma desert.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Woot!  1000 backers...

...Getting to 5000 though seems really far out and I'm trying not to get my hopes up

About 24 hours later it's just a couple away from passing 1,300 - 300 more than this time yesterday. 

I know that's not likely sustainable, but from this point, it would have to average a little under 90 per day to hit the goal.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2018, 08:51 PM »
My biggest thing is where would I put it? I'm less about Star Wars now and more about retro video games. In fact, I'm building an arcade coffee table. Maybe  I could put the ship inside it?! Hmmm. Will this fly pass the wife?  Probably not.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2018, 09:15 PM »
Wow.  It has taken me a full day just to wrap my head around this thing.  If made, this will be the stuff of legends, probably only on  par with something like the GI Joe Aircraft Carrier.  The sheer size of it is still a little hard for me to envision, and I have zero idea where I would put something like that despite a fairly large space carved out for Star Wars.  But I love everything about this offering.  The details are incredible (wall hangings, fabric sails, the ithorian corpse in jail?  Wow.  The crowd-source concept is very forward thinking for a big company like Hasbro, and I don't see how they don't move on to a Death Star if this thing succeeds.  I'm going to give it a few more days to talk myself out of it, but I think I'm in.   :)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I'm not sure how to read the backing numbers so far...  It's a short time, but at the same time I've seen other KS campaigns fly past this in terms of funding.  I don't know.  Hope it's made.  I'm not any worse off if it isn't though.  I had 0 expectation of them doing anything like this just a few days ago, so I'm not going to flip my wig if it fails.  I hope it doesn't though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2018, 10:07 PM »
From Hasbro PR team, Re: Global Access to Khetanna:

"It has been great to hear the reaction to the HasLab launch and know there is a strong interest from our fans globally. Right now, this initiative is available in the U.S., but we’ve been working for a while on how best to offer Jabba’s Sail Barge to fans globally if the campaign in the U.S. successfully reaches the 5,000 threshold and hope to have an update to share soon."
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2018, 11:33 PM »
My fear is that a lot of the people who would back this already have.  It if's not at 2500 this coming weekend, I'll be worried, especially since many websites have run articles on it now so the word is getting out there.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2018, 11:43 PM »
I'm no Kickstarter expert, but I think they'll reach 5,000.  I've had the same thoughts running through my mind with the Sectaurs Kickstarter these past few weeks, but the counts keep rising every day.  The barge has been out for just 48 hours and it's already 25% funded.  I spoke with two buddies tonight and like me, they're 95% sold on this, but just want a little more time before they pledge.  While totally worth the price, $500 is enough money to second guess your purchase.  I just need some time to settle into the idea, figure out where I'm going to put it, determine how badly my wife is going to beat me, etc.  I think a lot of other people are in the same boat.  Give it a few weeks for people to rationalize it and get on board before worrying it's not going to happen. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2018, 01:35 AM »
Yeah I haven't yet either but I'm going to.  I'm getting some random things in order first, but yeah really I have no clue where this thing is going.  Like I said, just days ago this wasn't on my radar.  Today it is.  If it fails, I'm no worse off.  If it succeeds great, I want one. 

I'm hearing there is some brow beating going on...  telling people they're not real collectors if they don't support it, blah blah blah.  F that noise.  If you can't you can't.  If you simply can't justify the price, that's you and your business, nobody else, and I hate that some folks are taking this as a chance to **** on other people's fandom or passion.  For some it's just not financially viable.  For others, it's financially viable, but tough to justify.  I've literally had cars that cost less and were my daily drivers for years, and so that's a lot for a piece of plastic.  Can't fault anyone their feelings on the matter really.

I mean if you're bitching it's not worth it because the Flagg was $100 30+ years ago, you're not really seeing the broader picture I think.  But if you're just not able to justify or come up with it, hey, that's cool. 

This will sink or swim on its own merits.  Collectors will rise to the occasion or they won't.  Some have talked a lot, and I think there are quite a few who won't back that talk up.  Those people suck, haha.  But I mean hey, if you can't because you just can't, whatever.  It's just a toy.  And I still get my tank anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2018, 01:50 AM »
If you've been hating on 5 POA figs and now skip the new figs in the Vintage Collection that kinda sucks.

If for any reason you skip the Barge despite anything you've said about Hasbro raising their game, I got nothing negative to say. $500 for a toy is ok for anyone to balk at.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49 AM »
Yeah. Not everyone has that money just sitting there for a toy. I don't think people were necessarily envisioning a 4 foot by 2 foot barge when they were discussing this in the past either.Maybe half that at about $200.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Wasn't the Castle Greyskull kickstarter kind of a similar slow roll?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram