Author Topic: 2018 HasLab - TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)  (Read 135744 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2018, 08:52 AM »
I'm hearing there is some brow beating going on...  telling people they're not real collectors if they don't support it, blah blah blah.  F that noise.  If you can't you can't.  If you simply can't justify the price, that's you and your business, nobody else, and I hate that some folks are taking this as a chance to **** on other people's fandom or passion.

Oh, there is plenty of that going on right now, and I'm sure it wouldn't surprise anyone who is leading the charge. (DouchebagTempleArchives)

I would also throw out there that if the people running these websites want this thing to happen, STOP TALKING ABOUT HOW FAR AWAY THE GOAL IS. Telling people they are "nowhere near" getting this thing is just discouraging. It would be a lot more motivating to focus positively on the progress so far, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:56 AM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2018, 09:10 AM »
Such a douche move for someone who has $500 to spend and not bat an eye to try and shame someone else into this who may screw themselves by spending $500 they don't have. Just to assure "rich" guy gets to have one
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:12 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2018, 10:52 AM »
I don't want to get stuck in the tar pit of JTA's many, many character defects, but this is as others have said, simply irresponsible. No one else needs to go into debt, manageable or otherwise, to subsidize someone else's hobby. No one needs to buy something at full retail, if they can't afford it. If they pick it up on clearance, they're taking advantage of a market that decided the thing was too expensive or unwanted. That's how it is in collecting. if you have a problem with 'those people' then you have much bigger problems in your life. They're toys. That's all. Don't skip meals. Don't skip payments to other obligations. Get your priorities straight.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2018, 11:08 AM »
If you simply can't justify the price, that's you and your business, nobody else, and I hate that some folks are taking this as a chance to **** on other people's fandom or passion. 

No one needs to buy something at full retail, if they can't afford it. If they pick it up on clearance, they're taking advantage of a market that decided the thing was too expensive or unwanted. That's how it is in collecting. if you have a problem with 'those people' then you have much bigger problems in your life. They're toys. That's all.

Yeah, +1 on this.

I'm lucky to be at a point in my life where I can drop $500 on this and not have to freak out about it.  Not everyone is that lucky or in that spot in life.  I can't shame anyone for waiting and hoping for clearance because of finances.  They are just little plastic toys at the end of the day.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Some prominent collecting site people have stated on social media that if the Sail Barge is beyond your means, then it's irresponsible for anyone to advise them going into debt to attain one.  I think that's being reasonable and responsible, as much as anyone might want this Sail Barge.  I'm wrestling with that issue myself.  And I will not judge anyone negatively for saying that the price point on the Sail barge may be too high.

Well, JTA seems to have umbrage to what a lot of reasonable people can agree is an outwardly responsible message.  And they've taken to attacking people who have advocated that message on social media.  Just WTF is wrong with that troll?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:28 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2018, 12:28 PM »
I appreciate the passion that some have for this, but I also don't understand public shaming.  If it happens, awesome and I will be thrilled.  If not, I'll be disappointed - but I'm not sure we'll ever hear the end of it.

For me, I'm not sure what's worse - the price or the size. 

$500 is a crazy about of money to spend on a toy, but I do think it looks to be worth the price if you can afford it. 

Space is such an issue now, so any time I add something of size, I either have to find a way to get really creative, or subtract something else.  So I guess space is probably my biggest issue that I'll face with this item (assuming it's made).

As for other toy line kickstarters, the ones I am familiar with all needed funding in the range of 80k - 150k... this one is 2.5 million... so it's the most ambitious one that I've ever checked out (by far).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Passion is great.  And so is the prototype that Hasbro showed off on Saturday.

But advising people to go into debt is a leap in an incredibly irresponsible direction.  Especially when your audience may consist of people who have families that depend on them for financial support.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Yeah. Not everyone has that money just sitting there for a toy. I don't think people were necessarily envisioning a 4 foot by 2 foot barge when they were discussing this in the past either.Maybe half that at about $200.

You gave me a scare for a second... my plan was to put this onto a 12" deep shelf, and I thought you were being specific when you said 2 feet wide...

Width is 14.6" so it'll overhang a little on mine...

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Well, JTA seems to have umbrage to what a lot of reasonable people can agree is an outwardly responsible message.  And they've taken to attacking people who have advocated that message on social media.  Just WTF is wrong with that troll?

I saw that too, and yet he claims he didn't start it (but call out a couple sites that he claims are SJWish).  SMH.

As for me, I'd love to get one, but am leaning towards No at the moment.  As Chewie said, space and money.  I have a small office for my Star Wars display, so getting something that large would eat up a lot of display room.  I'm in a position where I'm financially secure, but I still have to ask whether it's worth $500 for one toy that's going to sit in a room for only my enjoyment.  For $500, there are a lot of other activities that I'd like to partake in as well, from concerts and shows with my wife (to share in the experience), to races and travel... everything costs something, so it's weighing the costs and justifying the worth.

If I don't get one it's not the end of the world for me... and it shouldn't be for others.  It's just a toy.  No one should be pressured into buying one for the sake of the hobby, especially if it's beyond one's means.

But I truly hope the project get 5000 takers for those that want the Sail Barge.  I'm not sure what would happen if it fails to reach the numbers.  Would it spell the end for any such experiments or would Hasbro try something smaller for a lesser price?  That's what I'd like to know because I think there are a lot of ideas for Hasbro to explore that could be targeted at $100-150 (but I don't really know if my ideas and the price tag match up either).  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:01 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I don't know why our hobby revolves around the rampaging insecurities of a man who really needs some perspective in his life. He screams about collectors ruining a hobby by not supporting it at retail as he pimps eBay auction links to an overseas seller that is selling Hasbro product out the back door. He bitches about other sites leaking when he does it all the time. He bitches about Hasbro while he kisses their ass. But i've said all that before about this guy. He's a dumpster fire who refuses to go out.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I'm no Kickstarter expert, but I think they'll reach 5,000.  I've had the same thoughts running through my mind with the Sectaurs Kickstarter these past few weeks, but the counts keep rising every day.  The barge has been out for just 48 hours and it's already 25% funded.  I spoke with two buddies tonight and like me, they're 95% sold on this, but just want a little more time before they pledge.  While totally worth the price, $500 is enough money to second guess your purchase.  I just need some time to settle into the idea, figure out where I'm going to put it, determine how badly my wife is going to beat me, etc.  I think a lot of other people are in the same boat.  Give it a few weeks for people to rationalize it and get on board before worrying it's not going to happen.

I have to confess that I'm in that camp. I literally just paid for a trip to the UK and Ireland with my family and need to wait a week or two to clear room and plan to pay for the charge.  BUT, I am ordering by month's end.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Just placed my order. 

Yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2018, 05:15 PM »
I really wish there was an option to pledge the $500 and then pay it off in smaller amounts. I'd be able to afford $150-200 a month for 3-4 months. $500 in one lump sum is a lot of cash for me though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I really wish there was an option to pledge the $500 and then pay it off in smaller amounts. I'd be able to afford $150-200 a month for 3-4 months. $500 in one lump sum is a lot of cash for me though.

Well, that's the zero interest credit card plan that someone mentioned earlier.  There are plenty of cards out there - probably even offered by your bank - where you can get at least 6 months interest free.  So you put $500 on the card, make the minimum payment, and get everything paid off in six months without paying anything extra.  I'd only advise that if you have a definitive payoff plan and are responsible to make the payments, but it's an option for someone who needs the extra few months of funding.

Supporters are almost up to 30% as of day 3: 1469 and counting
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 05:56 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2018, 06:27 AM »

Well, that's the zero interest credit card plan that someone mentioned earlier.  There are plenty of cards out there - probably even offered by your bank - where you can get at least 6 months interest free.  So you put $500 on the card, make the minimum payment, and get everything paid off in six months without paying anything extra.  I'd only advise that if you have a definitive payoff plan and are responsible to make the payments, but it's an option for someone who needs the extra few months of funding.

Supporters are almost up to 30% as of day 3: 1469 and counting

Sure, there are credit options like that out there.  And I think someone who is responsible in managing their own money and debt may be able to manage that.

Where I've taken issue with this angle of the conversation is that a collecting site, notably JTA, has come out and openly advocated for people to go into debt in an effort to push this crowd funding project forward.  And that's because JTA really wants the Sail Barge made.  And they will never have to deal with, and do not care about the possible ramifications of someone going into debt or overextending themselves financially.  All because they want a really cool toy.  And that's incredibly messed up.

Feedback