Author Topic: 2018 HasLab - TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)  (Read 136972 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2018, 10:10 AM »
It is really upsetting that something like this, nearly universally praised and an exciting time for our hobby in general, is getting turned into a negative by certain people/sites. Can't we just enjoy this? If you want it and can afford it? Great. If it's not your bag or too pricey? That's fine too. Personally, mine depends if I can 1) sell enough by April to offset the cost 2) sell the Mrs. On it, and 3) figure out where it will live. I definitely want it, but I won't go into debt over it. I have a small office where my collection lives, and managing space means rotating things out to make room for something like this.

I never had (or knew someone that had) the USS FLAGG as a kid, and this seems like that sort of holy grail.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Pete-do you have a PayPal credit card or just using the PayPal credit feature? You can "borrow" the money now with the chance the transaction may never happen?

Sorry for the delay in my response. I just have the PayPal Credit feature - I could have gotten a credit card to use against that available credit line, but I opted to not go that route because I do not like to carry a lot of credit-card debt month-to-month. So it's more like a line of credit than a credit card. I hope that makes sense.

I did get a notice from PayPal that there was an authorization issued for the amount, but my current balance is still $0, but my available credit has been reduced by the pledge amount. My payback period of 6 months won't start until the charge is actually processed on the 3rd of April.

So if it makes it (which I hope it does) the clock starts for me April 3rd. If it fails to reach 5000 backers then the authorization will be released and I'll never have had to give Paypal anything for this. It's not like I got charged and then Hasbro is going to issue a refund.

To me this made the most sense for a couple of reasons:
1) I get 6 months to spread the cost of my two sail barges out
2) I keep a credit card for emergencies like home/car repair, medical expenses, etc... if I had used my credit card it would have reduced my available credit on that card by $1067, which kinda stinks and defeats the purpose of having the card for emergencies, so instead I used my PayPal credit line which I have SOLELY for picking up big items for my collection.

I hope that helps answer any questions you have Nick - if you have any others, feel free to reach out.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Re: affording the sail barge

beware if you have a mortgage and mortgage insurance...

Our expert accountant noted we owe an extra $1,700 due to the expired deduction for mortgage insurance, which we have to pay for at least another 5 years.

That's really exciting given my sail barge effort 😫

Macklunkey!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2018, 01:15 PM »

Our expert accountant noted we owe an extra $1,700 due to the expired deduction for mortgage insurance, which we have to pay for at least another 5 years.

That's really exciting given my sail barge effort 😫

I'm certainly not your accountant or a tax expert, but I thought anything related to the changes to the tax code don't kick in until next year's taxes?  Most people saw a slight bump in their checks now because the tax rates changed, so the withholdings changed, but shouldn't you still be writing off that mortgage interest as it pertains to 2017?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31 PM »
Yeah, unless this was a change made last year.  The new tax changes should be for your 2018 taxes, filed in 2019.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2018, 01:41 PM »

That's really exciting given my sail barge effort

I'm certainly not your accountant or a tax expert, but I thought anything related to the changes to the tax code don't kick in until next year's taxes?  Most people saw a slight bump in their checks now because the tax rates changed, so the withholdings changed, but shouldn't you still be writing off that mortgage interest as it pertains to 2017?

This is not from Trump's new tax plan. Its a simple expiration of a normal deduction.

Google knows something..
https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/changes-store-mortgage-insurance-premiums-1098-2017
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

Also, to be clear... Mortgage insurance is not present on all mortgages. Most banks require you to have it and pay it as part of your monthly payment when you have only had your mortgage under 10ish years or so and have not paid off more than 20%ish of the principal. Either way. if you were paying for mortgage insurance last year, you are not getting the same benefit you used to. This makes it look like I owe more, when its simply a matter that I can deduct less.

Or, maybe I can hire Jabba's shifty accountants..
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tessek/Legends
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shasa_Tiel/Legends
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mosep_Binneed
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Loje_Nella
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:51 PM by StBrianOfMinneapolis »
Macklunkey!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Yeah that sucks. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Looks like Sail Barge orders are finally slowing down... today's the first day where I'm not confident that it's going to make it.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2018, 06:31 PM »
I dunno, it's at 1,619 with 41 days to go.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2018, 06:50 PM »
I dunno, it's at 1,619 with 41 days to go.

Yeah, but after going up 300 per day in day 2 and 3, yesterday was closer to 200, and so far today it's only up around 100 so far.

It's definitely slowing down.  Question is whether or not it'll become old news and if there are enough people waiting for one reason or another who are going to commit. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2018, 07:48 PM »
I think there are a lot of people that will wait to make up their mind when the last week hits. If the total is 3000 then someone may feel their mind was made up for them. Obviously hopefully there aren't 2000 of those people
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2018, 08:16 PM »
I also wanted to say if you haven't put in your $500 yet, that you are a minion of Satan and will burn in hell.

May I suggest robbing small school children of their lunch money or having your children skip their lunch for the remainder of 2018.

Thanks for your support
#makesureigetmine
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:18 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2018, 08:27 PM »
I think people should take the money out of their kids' college fund. #totallyworthit
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2018, 08:30 PM »
I think people should take the money out of their kids' college fund. #totallyworthit

"Invest" it in a Sail Barge.  Enjoy that Sail Barge for 10 years or whatever it is.  Sell it for a profit and pay back the bank.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Well, due to the constant pressure and bullying from others on this thread I have reluctantly gone ahead and ordered this item.   

Backer Tracker: 1637
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today