Author Topic: 2018 HasLab - TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)  (Read 136836 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2018 TVC Jabba's Sail Barge (The Khetanna)
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Do we know if Dark Side Toys' orders are getting placed and being reflected real time on Hasbro's site, or are they going to do a bulk buy on the last day based on their total orders with a big uptick?  I would be kind of surprised if it was real time.

So, yeah, I think their orders are being reflected in near-real-time.

I think it's real time as well.  I didn't see an update for Monday, but as of Sunday (3/18), Dark Side Toys said they had sold 35 Barges.  Not much of a 'surge' so far.

I've seen a lot of push-back on the dark side option - plenty of folks are having a hard time giving a start up toy etailer $835 in hopes of getting something a year from now.  I guess some folks were complaining about the whole Brexit thing potentially affecting the delivery too since the shipment would be about the same time as Brexit.

Anyway you look at it, the OUS folks are not flooding Dark Side in the way some US folks were hoping...   as sales have slowed to a crawl over the past week, my expectations have gone from 'really hoping this will still happen' to "damn, I really wanted this to work :-\". 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:43 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18 AM »
Anyway you look at it, the OUS folks are not flooding Dark Side in the way some US folks were hoping...   as sales have slowed to a crawl over the past week, my expectations have gone from 'really hoping this will still happen' to "damn, I really wanted this to work :-\".

Ditto. I really wanted this to work too. If I didn't, I wouldn't have committed to two of them on Day One. This was a great opportunity for the collecting community to stand up and get a vehicle made that most of us never thought in a million years would ever get made.

The sad reality is that as a community, we just don't have the numbers to support something as big as this.

If this had been something like Vintage Carded releases of Janus Greejatus, Sim Aloo, Kren Blista-Vanee and maybe one or both of the other two advisors in the picture below:

For let's say $80, I don't think Hasbro would have had any trouble getting enough backers for the endeavor. They could have just re-packaged the Greejatus and Blista-Vanee figures we already have and then made new sculpts for Sim Aloo and the other guys and then just mailed them out in a while mailer box.

OR they could have even had tiers - where like if you wanted to pay $100 you could have gotten them in a display box set similar to the Vintage Carbon Freezing playset to have as a nice display piece.

Something that regular retail channels would never pick up, but that collectors might get behind.

What about that funeral pyre Darth Vader they had on display a while back? That might have a shot.

My point is that I think there is definitely room in the collecting community for DTC offerings, and I REALLY hope that failing to meet the goal for the Sail Barge won't discourage Hasbro from trying other items in the future.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2018, 09:42 AM »
New pics of the Barge painted, plus the reveal of an exclusive POTF carded Yak Face (with coin) to be included with the Barge purchase!

http://ew.com/movies/star-wars-jabba-sail-barge-toy-photos-hasbro/inside-jabbas-sail-barge

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Well, that's an incentive if I ever saw one. I wonder if it will be enough to put it over the top.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2018, 10:20 AM »
I'd been wondering why they didn't do a painted mock up to convince people of the awesomeness... glad to see this as part of the push.  And while I'd normally be furious about an exclusive figure, I'm backing, so I'm not quite as upset.   :-*

Do we know if the figure itself is exclusive, or just the POTF packaging?  I hope they package it carefully.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:22 AM by Rob »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2018, 10:28 AM »
POTF Packaging is exclusive. Coin is exclusive. Yak Face will be released in the Vintage Collection on a ROTJ card.

I have to believe this was not the plan, but an added bonus to get them across the finish line. They are really trying to make this happen...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Fine with me.  I bet there will be carded collectors galore who will either a) buy the barge or b) be in the market for the figure... which might incentivize people to buy the barge knowing they can resell the figure to get some of the cost back.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #262 on: March 21, 2018, 11:15 AM »
I didn't see an update for Monday, but as of Sunday (3/18), Dark Side Toys said they had sold 35 Barges.  Not much of a 'surge' so far.

Up to 60 backers at Dark Side now.  Better, but not great.

Hope the POTF Yakface news and the look at the painted prototype helps get the procrastinators/slackers out there motivated to get their orders in...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 21, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Sounds like Hasbro is trying to sweeten the pot with this Yakface offering.  I wondering how many people this news might sway?

It also says something that this news got released via EW.  They're really trying to push the campaign forward by publishing this news through such a big outlet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 21, 2018, 11:43 AM »
POTF Packaging is exclusive. Coin is exclusive. Yak Face will be released in the Vintage Collection on a ROTJ card.

I have to believe this was not the plan, but an added bonus to get them across the finish line. They are really trying to make this happen...

I'd love to hear more about this from anyone who might have an inside track on it.  Even as a mock-up, this is a pretty short turnaround if they decided to add just because the numbers weren't strong.  I think they would have had to have this in their back pocket as a back-up plan all along, and were just waiting to see if they need to add it as an incentive or not.  We're 14 days out - not a coincidence to see an added incentive with exactly two weeks to go.  Either way, super happy to have this piece of awesomeness added to the deal!

BARGE BACKER TRACKER: 2900
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 21, 2018, 11:58 AM »
The digital renderings for Yakface were revealed at Toy Fair, so the figure has been in development for a while.  And they also said that Yakface was due in early 2019.  This is just going to be alternate packaging plus the coin.  And the barges aren't set to ship until next February.  So there is some lead time for this particular deal sweetener.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 21, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Wow, wow, wow! Words can't describe how great this looks.

I know price is the major factor, but it's very sobering to realize that it's looking like there are not 5000 fanatical enough fans out there to make this thing go.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 21, 2018, 12:45 PM »
BARGE BACKER TRACKER: 2900

2917 an hour later.  Seems that for the first time in awhile it's got some legs...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 21, 2018, 01:53 PM »
It's about time we get a Yakface. It looks a lot better painted but it still comes down to where do I put it? Maybe I can build an arcade game coffee table with the barge built into it?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 21, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Yak Face is awesome in that PoTF package. But unless you're literally on the fence I just can't see that being what gets $500 out of your wallet
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within