Author Topic: 2018 Vintage Collection Wave 1  (Read 17177 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2018 Vintage Collection Wave 1
« on: February 17, 2018, 06:41 PM »
New thread time - finally time to give this wave it's own thread...

Wave 1:
- TFA Rey (Jakku) [repack]
- TFA Kylo Ren [repack]
- TFA First Order Stormtrooper [repack]
- RO Jyn Erso [repack]
- ESB Hoth Rebel Trooper [repack]
- TLJ Supreme Leader Snoke [NEW]

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:54 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Vintage Collection Wave 1
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Honestly, not a great wave, that line-up is going to be a tough sell.

It really should have consisted of Rey and Kylo from TLJ, not TFA and instead of Jyn Erso, they should have poked their heads up and said "what is the one RO 3.75" TBS figure everyone is clamoring for? Ah yes, the Shoretrooper, got it!"

So the wave could have been:
(new) TLJ Rey - they made the figure and instead of bolstering this wave, they reward WalMart?!?!
(new) TLJ Snoke
(newish recombo of existing parts) TLJ Kylo Ren - use the same body from the TFA figure but put a TLJ head sculpt on it since Kylo is helmet-less most of the movie
(repack/repaint) TLJ First Order Stormtrooper - basically the executioner all in white/black
(repack) RO Shoretrooper
(repack) ESB Hoth Rebel Trooper

In future waves we're getting two or more new sculpts - out of the gate the best they could do was ONE?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:58 PM »
I'm probably in on cases of the new stuff.  I really hope they do try hard, very hard, to mix the new and obviously popular (Hoth Rebel) in heavier than repacks. 

Repacks are a necessity at this point, and I like the cards, but I just hope it doesn't cost the new stuff or popular repack stuff in the long run.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49 PM »
When planning these waves, how can the team responsible not take this into account:

My guess is that these will be 2 per case. Snoke is easily going to sell out the fastest, it's the only new figure. Sure, I'm going to buy a complete set because of the cards, but I'll definitely buy 2 Snokes and probably 2 Hoth Rebel Soldiers. So, what happens when everyone's looking for Snoke and all they can find are the repacks? That's what seems to slow things down.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:58 PM »
My guess is that these will be 2 per case

Internet sleuthing has the rumored case pack as eight.  I think they are trying to keep the cases around the $100-120 range.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:59 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:36 PM »
UGH - really?

So right out of the gate 5 out of the 6 figures are repacks AND there are only 8 figures per case? Fantastic - that means that online retailers won't even have the option to sell full and half cases.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when is Hasbro going to put their heads on straight when it comes to these damn case ratios? If you're going to go with cases of 8 FINE, then the wave is either 8 figures at 1x, 4 figures at 2x or 2 figures at 4x - easy math! For example, if you're going to lead with re-packs, have it be 8 repacks at 1x each, that way, collectors who are going to want to get these just to keep their carded collection going, they're going to buy an entire case and at least not feel ripped off or forced to buy a 2nd repack just for the sake of keeping the collection going or if it was the 4 repacks at 2x each, the online retailers could sell half cases to the same type of audience.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:40 PM »
I could be wrong (and often am) but I thought that somewhere it was hinted that the e-tailers would be able to get full cases of certain figures.

As for the case ratio for standard retail, I think Snoke is 2x per case, as is the Stormtrooper.  The rest are 1 per case.  But don't hold me to that later.   :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:58 PM »
It's too bad this first wave is so repack (and common repack) heavy, hope it isn't a problem. I could pick up more Hoth rebels and Stormiest, and maybe a Rey/Kylo to keep carded. Otherwise, in for Snoke.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 02:17 AM »
Just Snoke and the Hoth Rebel for me. MAYBE some more Stormies if the paintjobs on the helmets are improved from the WM Black Series line. I cleaned up on the rest during WM clearances months ago.

It sucks these are all repacks, and I understand why that is, but the one positive is I haven't seen any Rey or Kylo figures since 2016, and Jyn has only recently started hitting in large numbers, so hopefully these won't hang around as much as we're expecting.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 09:55 AM »
 I think people will be burnt out on Jyn, Kylo and that Rey. And that will lead to some pegwarming. Although I am getting most of these for the packaging to not open. So, hopefully others will do the same?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I've said before, but I think these repacks will do fine. Jyn I'm not so sure, she's the ultimate $4 survivor around here, but the card probably mitigates any hesitancy. Rey and Kylo always sell. Stormtroopers always sell.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:38 AM »
I've said before, but I think these repacks will do fine. Jyn I'm not so sure, she's the ultimate $4 survivor around here, but the card probably mitigates any hesitancy. Rey and Kylo always sell. Stormtroopers always sell.

That has to be a distribution issue.  It's tough for me to get into a Walmart, but when I do it's usually because I'm driving into Wisconsin, and the only ones I see sitting around there are TFA Leia, Han, and TLJ Rose.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I see Leia and Finn and Poe still. I forgot about Poe. I suppose I'm blind to him after two years. Never see any TLJ figures. Those vanished, but we only got one case that I'm aware of.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22 PM »
UGH - really?

So right out of the gate 5 out of the 6 figures are repacks AND there are only 8 figures per case? Fantastic - that means that online retailers won't even have the option to sell full and half cases.

That might work out perfect for me, assuming that Snoke and either the Rebel Hoth Trooper or Stormtrooper are 2 per. I'm more than happy to buy a case from EE (using the link from JD, of course.)

Thanks for pointing that out Jeff!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 5, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Saw this wave at Target today. 2 each of Snoke and Stormtrooper. 1 each on the other four.

Blocked at register, "do not sell until 4/20". That could be annoying next Friday
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within