Author Topic: 2018 Vintage Collection Wave 1  (Read 17182 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2018 Vintage Collection Wave 1
« Reply #45 on: May 7, 2018, 03:22 PM »
I'm not too surprised on the Trooper. A little, but I think - around here anyway so grain of salt - the fact that you find four or five of him on the shelf with one or two Jyns is very telling. Either collectors no longer army build, or it's only scalpers feasting on this line so far. Probably the latter. Around here it's pretty regular for the 'hot' figure to always be gone. So lately Tarkin, 4-LOM or the Mimban Stormtrooper. Everything else sits, until collectors buy it down, and then the process repeats.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 7, 2018, 08:56 PM »
The only Stormtroopers in my area that are sitting are the ones with the lousy paint jobs on the mask around the eyes.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 8, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I'm not too surprised on the Trooper. A little, but I think - around here anyway so grain of salt - the fact that you find four or five of him on the shelf with one or two Jyns is very telling. Either collectors no longer army build, or it's only scalpers feasting on this line so far. Probably the latter. Around here it's pretty regular for the 'hot' figure to always be gone. So lately Tarkin, 4-LOM or the Mimban Stormtrooper. Everything else sits, until collectors buy it down, and then the process repeats.

That's a really good point. I know it has been discussed/debated to death, but I really wonder how often kids buy/get these things anymore. I know personally if I run into anyone in the Star Wars section, it is much more often an adult than a kiddo. Things might change around the holidays, where almost everything seems to sell, but generally I wonder if kids care much. I think they care about the movies, but the toys....I just don't know. I hope I'm wrong, because I would love for kids of today to be into action figures the way we were growing up.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 8, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Kids aren't into it at all like they were from 2005-2012... so much momentum was lost in 2012 by a number of bad calls by Hasbro/Lucasfilm that damaged retail's ability to move product. 

In 2013, the decline really set in once the 5poa stuff became the norm and the toys became boring. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 8, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Definitely the 10 year olds beating the 5 poa dead horse and not the 45 year olds.....
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: May 9, 2018, 02:41 AM »
LOL yeah...  I mean 05 ok that was big and it felt like it was spurred on some with TLC and Clone Wars but yeah I by no means would say kids were just full tilt into Star Wars up to 2012 then suddenly TPM3D and 5POA killed their interest.  Kids were on board for a short time in the TCW era but I mean it was obvious that just the line in general was declining in overall interest and popularity, then add on incremental price increases year after year after year...  I mean we were there but I distinctly recall that time was when my gfs kids lost interest significantly.

It was great for US and I wholly believe kids love articulation too, I know for me as a kid it mattered anyway, but I say again that a LOT of collectors have rose colored glasses on about that 06-12 era cuz there were tons of sales tons of clearance and tons of product dumps then just as there are now.  And that says the line wasn’t cranking on all cylinders and mega popular across all demos...  you can even look at how the secondary market was then to now and add that evidence in.  I used to get 06-12 stuff for pennies on the dollar and now it is selling like mad.  Even older is rising in price and that’s testament to Star Wars being in your face with new media yearly not with long gaps where kids and others dropped off.

I had a bunch more crap typed up but it’s meh.  I just will say I didn’t see kids in the aisles AT ALL during the TVC era...  that was purely for us.  I think things had crapped out pretty damn fast after TCW media blitz ended.  5POA doesn’t have a ton to do with it.  I do think 5POA sucks, but so does the rapid line replacement schedule, and the fact “good figures” are quite simply expensive.  IMHO the line should aim for a $10 pricepoint and articulation being more selective and less “ball joints galore”...  but that’s just my take on what I think would help make everyone (relatively) happy.  Of course there will be people who say figures should be both cheap and SA and nothing but that should happen, and I call those people delusional.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2018, 02:43 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #51 on: May 9, 2018, 10:43 AM »
Around 2010 or 11, I was at WM on my lunch and there was a kid looking for Plo Koon among the CW figs. He noticed me looking at the toys too, pointed to the TVC figs and said 'the old ones are there.'

The only kids I have seen buying SW since have been buying Lego.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2018, 11:09 AM »
There is a big cardboard shipper of Solo toys showing up at Targets to coincide with the new movie, and apparently this wave is included with it--I finally found a Hoth Rebel in the shipper at my nearest Target.

It also had a Wampa, which was the first time I had seen one of those in a few weeks. Might be worth the chase if you are still catching up on the launch stuff. (I have given up on the Mimban Stormtrooper now that wave 2 is hitting...maybe he will get picked up for a future wave.)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2018, 07:11 PM »
I saw the shipper today, too.  It had the Wampa as well as the Swoop bike w/ Enfys Nest.  But the TVC stock seems to be selling through at most of the area stores.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2018, 01:06 PM »
In case anyone is still army building these...  First Order Stormtroopers less than $7.50 right now as Amazon add-on item.  Stock up for your Ep9 scenes now! :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: August 7, 2018, 10:39 AM »
In case anyone is still army building these...  First Order Stormtroopers less than $7.50 right now as Amazon add-on item.  Stock up for your Ep9 scenes now! :P

Below $6 today so I bought two more (to go along with the two I bought the other day when they hit $7). :-[

I'm going to buy two of the $8 5POA Stormtrooper Commanders in Solo wave 3 and then put the web gear on these SA guys instead. 

I'll end up with two 5POA troopers, two SA troopers, and two SA Commanders for $42, which isn't too bad a deal.  #collectormath
« Last Edit: August 7, 2018, 10:42 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 7, 2018, 01:51 PM »
I bought 3 at $6.60 or so the other day... I wish I could buy more.  :(

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 7, 2018, 02:53 PM »
I grabbed two.  Hard to turn down at that price.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 8, 2018, 10:09 PM »
I just managed to order 3 more through my wife's account...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: August 8, 2018, 10:47 PM »
Grabbed two with a cat head scratcher thing cuz my cat is too fat to itch his head now.  He’s sad.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77