Author Topic: The Future of G.I. Joe?  (Read 14686 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The Future of G.I. Joe?
« on: March 7, 2018, 06:04 PM »
I was watching Retroblasting's most recent live stream on YouTube this week where the topic was the future of Joe. Fun stuff, but it did make me wonder if there was much future for the line. One of the greats of my childhood, especially with all the amazing vehicles, etc. included. Honestly, I felt fairly complete with modern figures, just because of the all around great 25th (and compatible) lines. I guess I thought eventually we would get a 6" Black Series styled line at some point, which I think was rumored at some point (Jeff's post on the forums I believe). Maybe we will see something if the whole Haslab model takes off.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: The Future of G.I. Joe?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 11:43 AM »
http://news.hisstank.com/2018/03/18/g-joe-movie-3-d-j-caruso-direct-future-brand-no-pressure-65178

Looks like Hasbro is thinking that the feature film is the way to go forward. No word yet if this is a continuation of the previous two movies, but I kind of doubt it.

As for the toys, the Club isn't having the license renewed, so they're done after this year. Now that the Barge is backed, I kind of hope this HasLab thing takes off and they start offering Joe stuff again, through that site. I always figured it would have to be a DTC model to sell it again, and with TRU gone...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:32 AM »
After reading and replying to a couple other threads you started, Brian, the bigger question may be what's the future for toys in general.

Even with new movies there's not a lot that's really all that new or exciting in the Star Wars lines. There are some good toys, the TLJ A-Wing, TFA Rey's speeder, even Kylo's TIE Silencer, all were well done toys. The 5POA figures have been kind of boring in character selection, but they're solid toys. But even I'm not getting overly excited by what's coming out.

I've thought for a while now, and it's a popular thought with the 12" collectors, that if Hasbro really wanted to get back into Joe and not just around movies, the Adventure Team would be the way in. Done right it could cover a lot of bases that other somewhat popular toy lines are doing like Jurassic World, superheroes, robots, special agents, etc.

It goes back to your thread about popularity of toys with kids though. GI Joe is a toy and play pattern that doesn't seem to hold as much attraction anymore. SW and the Marvel stuff gets a boost from consistent new movies but if kids don't want to put the imagination into playing, a line like Joe doesn't have legs right now.

That being said, I'm going to the last Joe Con this year, the Club's final couple of Figure Subscription Service releases have had some solid characters in them, and they've been the only outlet for new, licensed 12" Joe figures. I'm sad to see the Club go.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 05:57 PM »
http://news.hisstank.com/2018/10/19/snake-eyes-live-action-movie-to-follow-the-footsteps-of-bruce-lee-era-65940

Sounds like there’s a script, and it’s going to be a Snake Eyes stand-alone movie. Sounds promising, and it drops in March 2020.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:26 AM »
https://news.hisstank.com/2019/10/15/g-i-joe-snake-eyes-live-action-movie-filming-starts-today-67086

Principal photography begins today on Snake Eyes! Very curious about this movie based on the description.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2019, 07:56 AM »
https://news.hisstank.com/2019/11/04/furio-tedeschi-working-on-upcoming-hasbro-g-i-joe-toyline-production-art-67255

A little news about an artist working on new GI Joe package art. Also mentions that Hasbro’s marketing campaign has already begun, and maybe we’ll see new Joe toys at Toy Fair. The Snake Eyes flick is supposed to drop in October 2020, so I hope we see new stuff in February...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2019, 02:42 PM »
Thanks so much for posting updates; man I hope this movie is good. It would be great to see Joe make a triumphant return to toy aisles as well. Although I know, like Star Wars, Joe will always be a 3 3/4” line to me....to be honest I’m kinda hoping for a Black Series/Legends/Ultimates style line of Joes too. With all the great 6” stuff we have seen in the past few years - from Hasbro alone - it has really made me want a Legends style Snake Eyes on the shelf (among others).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2019, 03:06 PM »
Probably be a Galaxy of Adventures style line, mostly ninjas.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2019, 12:53 AM »
Knew through a friend that they were already in planning stages on 6” Joe when the carpets got rolled up.  Art exists and some design concepts.  Some went cartoony and almost more in the GOA style of design, now that I think of it again, thank some would like.  But also classic scale designs too.  Then poof it was all kind of nuked.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 08:17 AM »
https://news.hisstank.com/2019/12/17/john-reale-overseeing-upcoming-g-i-joe-toyline-at-hasbro-67485

Sounds like Hasbro has a lead for their GI Joe team, and there's not one but two lines coming from Hasbro for GI Joe. One based on the Snake Eyes movie, and an Evergreen line that I assume means classic designs. It'll be interesting to see what they have at Toy Fair next year...

Some more info on the Evergreen thing:
https://news.hisstank.com/2019/12/01/hasbro-working-on-a-g-i-joe-evergreen-toyline-67411

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 08:21 PM »
https://news.hisstank.com/2019/12/17/john-reale-overseeing-upcoming-g-i-joe-toyline-at-hasbro-67485

Sounds like Hasbro has a lead for their GI Joe team, and there's not one but two lines coming from Hasbro for GI Joe. One based on the Snake Eyes movie, and an Evergreen line that I assume means classic designs. It'll be interesting to see what they have at Toy Fair next year...

Some more info on the Evergreen thing:
https://news.hisstank.com/2019/12/01/hasbro-working-on-a-g-i-joe-evergreen-toyline-67411

Thank you so much for sharing this Ben. I really hope we do see a comeback. I really miss Joe, and see lots of stuff on the horizon for properties like MOTU, so hopefully it is time here too. I’d be curious to see what they would do at the 3 3/4” scale, kind of (sadly) a dying scale anymore. I would like to see more though. I can’t lie though, I’d like to get a 6” Snake Eyes though too  ;)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2020, 05:02 PM »
https://news.hisstank.com/2020/01/05/jazwares-acquires-hasbro-g-i-joe-license-67547

This is interesting. I’m guessing it’s role play stuff, but we’ll see.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 10:09 AM »
I guess the GI Joe line is being re-launched in anticipation of the upcoming Snake Eyes movie
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:10 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback