Author Topic: The "Original" Star Wars Fans Thread  (Read 18814 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The "Original" Star Wars Fans Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 4, 2018, 11:40 AM »
But this vocal minority has really gone too far.  Especially with these delusions that would lead you to think that it was THEM that carried a property that was one of the most successful film franchises of all time.

Exactly.

This is all playing out on a tiny corner of the internet.  There are LEGIONS of Star Wars fans in the 'real world' who like Star Wars and have kept it alive without knowing about all these pod casts or you tubers or fan sites or whatever. 

I've been on the internet doing "Star Wars" for over 20 year and there are plenty of these self-important "gate-keeper" fan sites and pod casts I've never heard of before.  In the same way, I'm sure there are MILLIONS of Star Wars fans out there who have never heard of JediDefender.  Star Wars fandom is a very large pool, no one person or group gets to call it theirs alone.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 4, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Worst part is the victory lap these jerks are taking.  Like an unsuccessful film is good for anything.  Not to mention that their "revolt" or whatever you want to call it had little to do with this film's lack of box office performance.

I think this one was maligned with bad pub from the beginning.   I really can't figure it out. People will say "releases too close" but tell that to Marvel who have 2 films over $1B in four months.  It's too bad because the film was pretty good.  Definitely a head-scratcher.

I like that in the JD community we may not always agree, but I don't feel like anyone's opinion is crapped on in a personal way.  We can have a civil discussion about things.  I think it's funny that TLJ is either the best thing ever or the worst.  I think that most probably fall in the middle somewhere.  I liked most of it, but it wasn't perfect.  Nor was it worse than AotC.  BUT it certainly is not worth all the hatred either way.

Honestly though, we have seen this since 99 with a greater and greater intensity.  All the bashing that TPM took but it was still a monster success.  People saw it multiple times.  If something sucks hard, why see it over and over again?  Then they started to extend the"crappy movie streak" back to RotJ.  It's just laughable. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: June 4, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Lol yeah “fans” ugh.

It’s ok not to like something.  I don’t care for TPM or AotC these days.  They’re meh.  Lucas is still important in my life and always will be.  The Canto Bight stuff in TLJ for me was meh, no worse or better than PT meh, and KK, RJ, and JJ ruined NOTHING about my life.

Health issues have ruined some aspects of my life.  Losing someone has ruined something in my life.  These movie issues have all been things I move on from.

If it’s “ruining” anything to you, you’ve got soul searching to do.  You don’t have to like it but keep **** in perspective.  Star Wars EU still exists.  The original movies are still there like you remember them.  These movies are as easy to ignore as they are to intricately pick apart.  And if you’re mad because “SJW crap ruined Star Wars!”, I feel like you’re just hopeless.  Letting that ruin something for you just is sad. :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2018, 05:34 PM »
Feels like this is the right space to post this:

Mending your relationship with Star Wars
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 1, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Pretty funny, although I never saw Rick and Morty so that one is over my head...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #50 on: August 1, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Pretty funny, although I never saw Rick and Morty so that one is over my head...

You need to start binge watching Rick and Morty ASAP! 
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2018, 02:10 PM »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2018, 02:45 PM »
How was Jedi Defender not on there???

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2018, 04:51 PM »
The ugliness from a number of outlets has grown to toxic proportions.  And it's not limited to just one.  I can think of collecting sites, podcasts and YouTube channels that have just gotten way out of control.  Some of them seemingly have nothing positive to add to the franchise and have become more about promoting themselves and pushing forth some kind of anti Star Wars agenda.  A move like this can be a case of addition by subtraction.  And I am well aware that the PR firm Hasbro uses to communicate with SW fan sites has put some of them on notice because of their highly questionable conduct.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2018, 06:45 PM »
I'm glad Disney/Lucasfilm are taking a stance on this issue and making some changes. Hopefully enough people will notice and there will be a shift in behavior among "fans".  :-\
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2018, 07:45 PM »
It’s a freaking movie.  Good grief.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2018, 08:21 PM »
How was Jedi Defender not on there???

Considering we actually enjoyed Star Wars and didn’t incessantly **** on it, not really sure.🤔
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:21 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2018, 08:31 PM »
Btw by all means read down the Disqust comments to where a fellow named CG tried to engage a guy named Darth Sakul.  Some classic reasons WHY all this is being done are displayed.  That Sakul guy has some sand up his ass for sure.  Censorship?  If deleting sites that pushed bigotry and hate is censorship then I guess I’m suddenly not against censorship.

People act like THEY bought Star Wars...  ::)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2018, 08:46 PM »
Darth Sakul is why I no longer have a disqus account. It was the only way to keep myself from flipping out on the guy.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2018, 01:17 PM »
There's one angle here that needs to be stated, and I hope that Lucasfilm looked into this thoughtfully.  Because the element that I think LFL is trying to distance themselves from is very likely the same element that ran Kelly Marie Tran off of social media.  I know that not everyone thought that Rose was a crucial character in TLJ.  But the way KMT was treated by some of these so-called "fans" was disgusting.  She's a human being, and she did not deserve any of that nonsense.

So if this move by LFL is in defense of their own people?  I'm glad to see them doing that.  And I also recognize that they're making this move while we're still about 6 or 7 months out from Celebration Chicago.  LFL and Star Wars don't need these clowns hanging around and making that experience negative for the tens of thousands of people who go to Celebration.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 01:21 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback