Author Topic: 2018 TVC SDCC Exclusive Doctor Aphra Comic Set  (Read 15947 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
2018 TVC SDCC Exclusive Doctor Aphra Comic Set
« on: June 5, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Looks like 3.75" figures are back in the game when it comes to SDCC exclusives (I honestly had been hoping it would perpetually stay at 6" figures since I don't collect those)...

Hasbro has announced via io9 that the Dr. Aphra 3-pack will be this year's SDCC exclusive:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/hasbro-is-bringing-some-of-the-star-wars-comics-best-ne-1826566650

Since you can pretty much build 0-0-0 at the Disney Droid Factory, and the Dr. Aphra figure will be in the Vintage line individually, the real draw for this set is BT-1 (for me at least).
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 12:15 PM by Jeff »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC 2018 Vintage Exclusive
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Is 0-0-0 a TVC 06 repaint version?  I'm guessing it is since the eye holes don't line up.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I really hope Hasbro plans on making a ton of these for HTS... I hate chasing down and overpaying for exclusives.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Does this mean there is no 6" SDCC exclusive this year?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Is 0-0-0 a TVC 06 repaint version?  I'm guessing it is since the eye holes don't line up.

Good eye! It definitely looks like 0-0-0 is a repaint of the TVC 06 C-3PO.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2018 TVC SDCC Exclusive Doctor Aphra Comic Set
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2018, 12:25 PM »
(I honestly had been hoping it would perpetually stay at 6" figures since I don't collect those)

Same here.  Before they stopped doing them, the 3.75" exclusives were getting harder and harder to get.  I was glad when they switched to 6" since I didn't need to care anymore. :P

I really hope Hasbro plans on making a ton of these for HTS...

Yeah, same here.  If they bring back the Kenner Vintage stuff and then don't make enough for everyone who wants one its just going to invariably piss the masses off even more...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2018, 01:20 PM »
The only thing I can hope for with this set is that enough people pass because they don't know who the characters are. If so, there's a chance I can own one. If not, I guess I'll never own the droids (Aphra is being rereleased on a Vinty card).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2018, 01:25 PM »
The only thing I can hope for with this set is that enough people pass because they don't know who the characters are. If so, there's a chance I can own one. If not, I guess I'll never own the droids (Aphra is being rereleased on a Vinty card).

Don't count on it.  Aphra is popular enough to win the fan's choice poll - so while us ORIGINAL FANS have no idea what her deal is, all the poseur noobs seem to love her.   :-*

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Dr. Aphra was rumored to be part of the 3.75" line in the past.  Do we know if she will also be made available in a regularly available assortment, and if all of these figures will be available as well?   Just curious if we know if this is just a packaging variation or if this is all only going to be available via SDCC.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Dr. Aphra was rumored to be part of the 3.75" line in the past.  Do we know if she will also be made available in a regularly available assortment, and if all of these figures will be available as well?   Just curious if we know if this is just a packaging variation or if this is all only going to be available via SDCC.

Yes, she won the fans choice poll.  She'll be a regular Vintage carded release.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2018, 04:39 PM »
But it will (at least for now) be the only way to get the Droids (I think)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2018, 08:56 PM »
Correct it’s the only way to get the droids and I don’t think there are any BAD parts that come close to even 0-0-0’s colors and things.  I have the Black 3po from the park and it looks really nothing like that.  Clearly the astromech is equally impossible at the park too.

Given recent years, I have no hope for this being “easy to get” by Hasbro toy shop or otherwise.  It’s really gonna be a pain and I’m afraid this one will cost a pretty penny for a while and not really come down to sanity like the 6” Exclusive stuff.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2018, 09:00 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2018, 06:55 AM »
This is a pretty cool offering for a Comic Con exclusive.  I get why they would make this the SDCC 2018 exclusive.  After all this is the year that they relaunched the Vintage Collection, so why not celebrate the Vintage Collection?  And calling it a comic pack ties into the name of Comic Con.  I know there are a lot of people that would like Comic Con to get back to its roots, and this at least plays to that sentiment.

I think that I had mentioned a while back that I'd like to see these droids offered up alongside Dr. Aphra.  I don't know that they would have been great offerings for the general release line because of the somewhat narrower audience that the comics have.  But they are some cool droids!

Correct it’s the only way to get the droids and I don’t think there are any BAD parts that come close to even 0-0-0’s colors and things.  I have the Black 3po from the park and it looks really nothing like that.  Clearly the astromech is equally impossible at the park too.

When I was at Disney I built an all black Threepio that was inspired by 0-0-0.  But it's significantly different from what's being offered in this set.  And I'm totally cool with that, because now the black Threepio I built can be an Imperial or First Order droid.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2018, 07:00 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2018, 12:16 PM »

Don't count on it.  Aphra is popular enough to win the fan's choice poll - so while us ORIGINAL FANS have no idea what her deal is, all the poseur noobs seem to love her.   :-*

Okay, so there are TWO ways we can get this set from HTS:

1. OT fans turning their noses up at these Literally WHO characters

2. New fans who know the characters turning their noses up at these 4 inch figures since they only buy 6 inch

;D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2018, 12:33 PM »
3. "Fans" that are boycotting Disney/Star Wars/KK/JJ/RJ