Author Topic: 2018 TVC SDCC Exclusive Doctor Aphra Comic Set  (Read 15948 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 TVC SDCC Exclusive Doctor Aphra Comic Set
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Long shot I know, but is anyone interested in just the girl and the protocol droid and not the astro droid?  I was ready to buy the set, but I just can't bring myself to spend almost $60 for just the astro droid.  If someone's willing to split the set with me, I'll buy it and we'll figure out the details.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Long shot I know, but is anyone interested in just the girl and the protocol droid and not the astro droid?  I was ready to buy the set, but I just can't bring myself to spend almost $60 for just the astro droid.  If someone's willing to split the set with me, I'll buy it and we'll figure out the details.

There are sellers on ebay that are busting up this set and selling the figures individually.  If you don't get any takers here you can probably get what you're looking for on ebay for $25.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2018, 11:27 AM »
I can’t leave anything in the package, takes up too much space.

As someone who has a couple of complete carded lines....I can attest to that!  My wife weeps a little at how much storage space is taken up by my carded collection.

I do have a few unopened items on display in my room...this SDCC set will be one of them.  (I also got an opener....best of both worlds baby!)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 12:58 PM »
As someone who has a couple of complete carded lines....I can attest to that!  My wife weeps a little at how much storage space is taken up by my carded collection.

I used to buy two of everything when they were $5 a piece.  I had walls covered with carded figures.  Around 2006 or 2007 I found a buyer who took them all for $5 each, $10 for deluxe.  He bought my 12" figures, unleashed... everything that was peripheral.  I basically broke even, and saved myself a fortune in not buying 2x and random lines going forward.  Best thing I ever did.  This guy was buying them all over the course of a few months, his budget was about $500 a month and him and his girlfriend came over twice a month for over a year.  I ended up with nearly $7000

I ran into the guy that bought them all maybe a year later?  He'd broken up with his girlfriend and they'd sold it all at a loss.  I felt bad for him but I also felt lucky to be able to extract face value out of all that stuff.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 03:00 PM »
I hear ya....I definitely do not buy two of everything anymore (hell...I barely buy one of anything as it is!)  There are some things (like the Aphra set) that I felt I needed an extra to keep unopened.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Just picked up this set from HasbroToyShop.  She is back in stock but hurry.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Still in stock. Starting to think her individual Vintage Collection release is gonna peg warm...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Still in stock. Starting to think her individual Vintage Collection release is gonna peg warm...

It should.  I know Aphra won the poll, but I am pretty deep into Star Wars and I'd literally never heard of her.  I can't imagine there's going to be mass appeal for her with little kids or adult collectors.  Seems to me that she fits into a middling demographic of internet-savy teenagers and 20-somethings who read comic books, but not much beyond that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:30 PM by Rob »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2018, 11:20 PM »

It should.  I know Aphra won the poll, but I am pretty deep into Star Wars and I'd literally never heard of her.  I can't imagine there's going to be mass appeal for her with little kids or adult collectors.  Seems to me that she fits into a middling demographic of internet-savy teenagers and 20-somethings who read comic books, but not much beyond that.

Agreed 100%

I had never heard of her until the poll and even after she won and I learned I would be getting a figure of her, I still didn't care enough to even do some quick google search based research about the character. In fact, with my limited knowledge of the character (based on reading the back of the package from the exclusive) I find the fact she exists quite ridiculous. Is she supposed to be the spitting image of Shmi or Padme or something and that's why Vader didn't just kill her? Cause based on what I read, why did Vader just not force choke her to death during their first meeting? (I'm asking rhetorically, I still honestly DO NOT care)
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2018, 01:27 AM »
I have no idea whether she'll sell well or not, but how much do you know about Rom Mohc or Sigel Dare? I'm not really sure what my point is, but I don't think many of the comic characters are that well known. Yet I like when they branch out here and there.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:28 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2018, 12:06 PM »
I have no idea whether she'll sell well or not, but how much do you know about Rom Mohc or Sigel Dare?

Next to nothing, but those two didn't get made by winning a popularity contest. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2018, 01:37 PM »
I think it's weird this set is still for sale over at HTS. Looks like everyone that wanted one got theirs. That ebay market should be drying up now. Looking at how overpriced star wars stuff is on ebay, does anyone buy that stuff anymore?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2018, 05:04 PM »
I think it's weird this set is still for sale over at HTS. Looks like everyone that wanted one got theirs. That ebay market should be drying up now. Looking at how overpriced star wars stuff is on ebay, does anyone buy that stuff anymore?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who buy without doing any real research as to price.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Not to mention the TVC speculation has been pretty bullish it seems...  it’s a nice set but I wouldn’t have bought early on this if I couldn’t get it at the show or site.  It’s neat but I wouldn’t want to have paid more than it’s cost for it.  It’s already kinda pricey.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2018, 09:42 PM »
At the end of the day collectors know that they'll be able to get Aphra for $12.99 later.  This set is essentially nice packaging and / or $37 extra for a pair of droids.

Most people probably don't care about the droids all that much, so I'm sure there are plenty of people just waiting.