Author Topic: Solo 3.75" Force Link 2.0 with Han Solo  (Read 10849 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Solo 3.75" Force Link 2.0 with Han Solo
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 08:15 PM »
So if I buy one for the figure, I can't check the paint apps first...

...or make sure the unscrupulous lot haven't already removed the figure and returned the set. At least with a window box they have to replace it with something. So much for stopping the thieves, I think this makes it easier.

This is not a cool development, and has pushed me to not being interested in tracking this Han down 'til deep clearance time. My son likes his ForceLink enough I would have considered it otherwise.

The paint apps part was what annoyed me the most.  Especially since it's Han.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 11:15 PM »
The fine print: "App available through June 30, 2019"
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 3, 2018, 10:03 AM »
After a dozens of rounds of double-tap-and-move, I finally got my Force Link 2.0 through all three rounds of updates required to get the dang thing to work! Hasbro takes a lot of unjust flak, but they earned the flak on this one. 

Out of the box, the thing doesn't work. "Firmware update required" is all you get when interacting with the SOLO 3.75" figures (the only exception is the Han that came with it).  After week, Hasbro finally gets the accompanying app released... but it has no content to offer.  Another week later and the app finally has content... but it's so much content to deliver via Bluetooth that the device is constantly timing out (requiring a LOT of double-taps to wake it back up) or burning up batteries before you can get through all THREE updates it's trying to push out.

I'm a hard-core Hasbro collector guy and it took me over an hour to get it all figured out and another hour to actually get it all uploaded.  I can't imagine what the average parent is going to think when they buy this for their kid and get that "firmware update required" message.  Not a good look at all, Hasbro.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 3, 2018, 11:35 AM »
I'm sure Target and the retailers will love this too when frustrated parents just return it.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #19 on: May 3, 2018, 05:30 PM »
I don't get it, I thought this thing came pre-loaded with all the sound clips for the toys. Why does it need a firmware update and app to run?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 3, 2018, 05:41 PM »
This went from being $30 literally for Han instead of just figuratively.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: May 3, 2018, 09:40 PM »
Why does it need a firmware update and app to run?

The idea is this one is forward compatible - as new figures are added to the line, new data can be added to the reader via the app/Bluetooth instead of becoming obsolete (like Force Link 1.0 :P).  It remains to be seen whether that will happen past 2019 - Episode 9 could have a whole new gimmick.

The problem here was the reader needed to be shipped before the data could be loaded onto it, requiring a day one update to work.  Not ideal in the least.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: May 3, 2018, 10:59 PM »
I love the idea of the interactive figures and toys. They have absolutely missed the boat on this update, and from what I can see at retail, positioning the reader as necessary. DOZENS of 1.0 remain on deep clearance at WM and Target. 2.0 is piling up now. It's overpriced, I think, especially considering it doesn't/didn't properly work. I don't know if it would be prohibitive to extend it to the Black Series line, but doing so would probably help it out. A lot.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #23 on: May 5, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Why does it need a firmware update and app to run?

The idea is this one is forward compatible - as new figures are added to the line, new data can be added to the reader via the app/Bluetooth instead of becoming obsolete (like Force Link 1.0 :P).  It remains to be seen whether that will happen past 2019 - Episode 9 could have a whole new gimmick.

The problem here was the reader needed to be shipped before the data could be loaded onto it, requiring a day one update to work.  Not ideal in the least.

Thanks for the info. Not being ready day one is just as dumb as them relessing a new version when the older version is collecting dust bunnies on shelves. This gimmick will definitely not last to Episode 9
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Hasbro released version 1.9 of the app yesterday...  and it still sucks and doesn't work with all the figures correctly.  :-X

There have been a LOT of issues with the Solo product line but the roll-out and execution of this Force Link 2.0 has to be one of the biggest disappointments/failures.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Hasbro released version 1.9 of the app yesterday...  and it still sucks and doesn't work with all the figures correctly.  :-X

There have been a LOT of issues with the Solo product line but the roll-out and execution of this Force Link 2.0 has to be one of the biggest disappointments/failures.

Thanks Jeff.  Keep us posted.  I'm interested in getting the new version, but am going to hold out until they get it fixed.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 9, 2018, 11:02 AM »
If anyone has been holding out for a decent deal on this one, it's $14.98 on Amazon now.  I finally snagged one at that price.

https://smile.amazon.com/Star-Wars-including-Wearable-Technology/dp/B072K3FQW6/ref=sr_1_1

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 9, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Urgh...my gut is telling me to wait until all the sets sitting at the local WalMart join all the $5 Kylo Force Links in the clearance aisle.

I want the Han Solo but the reader is just so much junk to me I do not intend to spend anything over the cost of a basic figure. And if I get this before the Vintage version comes out, I will probably not go for that either.

Decisions, decisions... 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 9, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Thanks for posting.

Have the updates to the reader been mostly fully debugged, or is it still a total mess to get this think working?

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: July 9, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Have the updates to the reader been mostly fully debugged, or is it still a total mess to get this think working?

I think we're up to version 2.1 of the app now and there are still some figures/beasts (like the Wampa) which say "firmware update required" still.

And yes, it's still a total mess to try to get your reader updated - updates are total battery drainers, if you can get them to upload at all. 

I want the Han Solo

If all you want is the Han figure in this particular outfit, just wait for the TVC version and skip this unless you can find it for under $10 or are some kind of figure completist.