Author Topic: Cardboard Galaxy  (Read 46887 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Cardboard Galaxy
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:08 AM »
I have a little business I call Cardboard Galaxy that makes Star Wars displays and playsets, with the focus on cardboard and cardstock as the primary material, as a nod to the very first vintage displays (and also to keep prices low!) My main focus has been the 3 3/4" figure scale, but demand has pushed me into a few 6" scale displays as well (I don't collect 6" myself.)

I posted pics of my Return of the Jedi "Final Duel" Pop-Up Playset elsewhere and was met with excitement, so I figured I'd start a gallery here with some of my favorite Cardboard Galaxy products for everyone to enjoy.

The first range of displays I offered were called "Desktop Displays" which offer several tiers of display space (based on the time-tested "Spice Rack" dislpay style I first encountered with JD's Scott) and were designed to be self-supporting so you can set it up anywhere. The display card sits on chipboard risers, everything folds down flat for easy storage and shipping:

My best seller by miles is a "Bounty Hunter Meeting" two-tiered display:

Last summer I started making much more complex "Pop-Up Playsets" that have been pretty popular. They are all limited edition releases and again are made from cardstock for *******. 

(The second set I designed, this "Jedha Revolt" already sold out!)

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Big Playsets. They are made from chipboard and, as always, come apart for *******, but feature 360-degree play environments with interconnected scenes in what I hope is a convincing retro-design aesthetic:

Coming Soon will be a Star Destroyer Bridge Playset for which I have only built a prototype so far:

I held a poll on the FB page as to what big one I should build next, and Darth Vader's Castle from "Rogue One" won, so that is the next big playset in the works. I am planning on it being a 3 foot tall (including the large spires on the top) showstopper display piece!

I'll update here periodically. There is lots more stuff, in these styles and a couple of other small display ranges, plus commission work that comes in every now and then. If you are interested in anything please feel free to PM me here and I'll make sure you get the "JD Friends and Family" discount!

Thanks for looking.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Cardboard Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:07 AM »
Awesome stuff!  The graphics look great, and the cardboard construction is a cool throwback to vintage playsets like the Kenner Mos Eisley Cantina set or the Sears exclusive Cloud City playset.

I'm still working on my collection room, but I will definitely be in touch.  These look great!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Here! Here! Need to save some money for some of these now.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 4, 2018, 02:42 PM »
I put some new sets up for sale this week...

This "Blast Door" Shadowbox Display is generating a lot of interest. It even got Cardboard Galaxy some (unsolicited by me) notice on JTA's front page today. As a result this month's quota has already almost sold out in the past couple hours.

This is a 6" scale Jedha House prop to display with Black Series figures.

And this is one my 8-year old son designed...he wanted a "ROTJ Final Duel" set converted to an 8-bit Super Mario Bros. "Final Duel." He is getting a cut of any sales.  ;)

Thanks for looking!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Last week a client suggested a simple set based on the above 8-bit SMB with the bespin gantry walkway in place of Bowser's bridge. We talked about it as a commission piece but once I got to work on it I got so excited I wanted to share it with everybody.

So here is the newest "Pop-Up Playset:" Gantry Duel!

This one is a limited edition of 50 pieces, and I'm trying to rush the edition with an introductory price of just $15 shipped. PM me if interested, and as always thanks for taking the moment to look at the pictures!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 12:54 PM »
I am reissuing the "Hidden Fortress" Yavin IV playset I made a few years ago this week,  and my son and I were taking pictures to show off the upgraded pieces...and somehow it turned into a fight with King Kong and his pet Goliathon! I love 8-year old logic:

(He insisted that the Goliathon needed to eat Dodonna because "we don't see him again in Episode Five.")

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2019, 01:52 PM »
I have some new items/promotions going on that I figured I could shamelessly plug here...feel free to PM me if you are interested in any of this stuff!

With Hasbro having finished up the Black Series versions of all the Bounty Hunters I made a display stand for them (and Piett or Veers and whatever other Imperials you want to include on the bottom level...)

It is a limited edition of 80 pieces. $25 shipped in the US. I am currently working through orders on this one.

Last weekend I listed a new "Retro"-inspired display for May the 4th. I call it the "Blockade Runner Capture" Playset:

(I really hope the Retro collection gets around to making a 1978-version of the Rebel Fleet Trooper, he'll look perfect in there!)

It is also a limited edition piece--I am only making 42 before retiring the design, and $25 shipped in the US as well.

And then I have started doing custom-fit, large-format printed backdrops for bookcases and other display spaces. The sizes on these are incredible...

Here's one displayed in the intended space by the customer:

Here's the full Facebook album of what I've made so far in this size.
(No set prices on these, as they are designed to be sized to the customer's needs. Let me know if you're interested and we can figure something out.)

As always thanks for looking! I still get a lot of joy out of this work!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 9, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Those pieces are awesome!  Great work!  How do I order the Bounty Hunter one?  I love the vintage cardboard stuff and this is a great homage to those old school designs.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 09:39 AM »
To coincide with SDCC (not that I am in attendance), I have a new playset design up for order if anyone is interested. The "Mos Eisely Alley" is a limited edition piece--I will only be making 77 of them.

Price is $25 shipped. PM me if you want to discuss it.

I had a lot of fun making this one, thanks for looking.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 10:38 AM »
Do you have any of the bounty hunter pieces left? I just saw this and am very interested, thx!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Sure do. Sending PM...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 12:14 PM »
This looks awesome.  Do you have any left?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 04:31 PM »
Yeah, there are still quite a few of those left after the July presell. I have just started building them for everybody, it's a fun one to do!

Regular price is $30 shipped, but the "JD-member" discounted price of $25 still stands. PM me if you're interested and we can work it out!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 08:35 PM »
It's been a while since I harassed you guys about my stuff, but I finally completed a project I have been working on on-and-off for a couple years: a Darth Vader's Castle Playset!

It stands 44" tall and in addition to having a fully-detailed facade it contains 5 interior locales including the area where Vader meets with Krennic, a hangar bay for his TIE Fighter, a control room, and a room that could be his bacta chamber if there were such a Hasbro toy (I am going to pose it as a Lightsaber Dueling Room instead.)

I know it's no HasLab project, but it was a fun project to figure out and engineer out of cardboard, and a grueling bit of drawing to get everything I wanted in there. I am so excited to see it in person after so long...it is quite an imposing piece up close. I plan to take lots of close-up pictures of all the little areas in it sometime soon.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:02 PM by Muftak »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 10:20 AM »
I have to bump this thread up!  Because the genius behind Cardboard Galaxy, Muftak, is offering a really cool display piece that's a timely addition to his line - the Mandalorian Throne Room Windows.  It's a great backdrop for the recently released TVC Darth Maul and Ahsoka Tano.  I just ordered mine.

Check it out on Instagram
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback