Author Topic: Walmart Solo 3.75" Kessel Playset with Han Solo  (Read 15505 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Walmart Solo 3.75" Kessel Playset with Han Solo
« Reply #15 on: December 2, 2018, 12:16 PM »
On the face of it, making it to the website only is still a failure for a store exclusive.

The logic goes that stores ask for an exclusive item from Hasbro so that they can drive customers into the store to make other purchases. You become a WalMart customer out of necessity and exposure. I don't think a website purchase follows that same buying pattern...

But there is a scenario where this was the intended outcome all along. If WalMart promises exclusive items and they never show up, they have collector foot traffic for months. And if they never receive the items at all, any upfront purchasing cost will be refunded by Hasbro so it literally costs them nothing.

Of the five WalMart Star Wars exclusives from this summer, only two made it to the store (Vintage TIE, BS Mudtrooper.) The two Vintage figures have been pretty much given up on at the store, and the stock has apparently been rescued online by EE. Now the playset is only showing up online.

I think the store exclusive has evolved into something scary.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 2, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Haven't seen, nor hear of this in a store. Won't be surprised if it'll be on-line only.

That is a curious development.  Especially since there was news that WalMart was going to devote more floorspace in their stores to toys this Christmas season.  And it only seems logical that WalMart would want this to get out to stores before Christmas.

If this doesn't show up in stores some time in the next week or so, it might be online only for the time being.  The one thing that comes to mind is the size of the production run on this piece or the amount of inventory WalMart has on hand.  If there isn't sufficient inventory to get out to all of the stores, then perhaps WalMart is going to limit this to online purchases only for now.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 6, 2018, 09:56 AM »
Haven't seen, nor hear of this in a store. Won't be surprised if it'll be on-line only.

And it only seems logical that WalMart would want this to get out to stores before Christmas.

This is where you lost me, using logical and Walmart in the same thought.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2018, 03:09 PM »
Silly me.  I remember invoking the same reasoning LAST YEAR, wondering aloud why Hasbro and WalMart wouldn't have their exclusive 6" Black Series Kylo Ren (throne room) in stores for Christmas.

I swear, sometimes it's like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown.  No matter what, she's going to pull that football away at the last moment, EVERY TIME.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2018, 12:45 PM »

I swear, sometimes it's like Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown.  No matter what, she's going to pull that football away at the last moment, EVERY TIME.

No, that's exactly what it's like always.  ;D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2018, 11:45 PM »
Walmart.com has this for $20

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Got one. Thanks!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 05:32 PM »
Would it be dumb to buy this for just the coaxium container?  Yes.

Will I do it?  I’m still pondering this.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 06:58 PM »
 Picked one up at that price as well. Now I have both cardboard Solo playsets for the price of one. And weirdly no Solo figures to go with them, or the desire to get them.

Guess this markdown settles the speculation on if this one will make it to the stores.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02 AM »
EE is now taking pre-orders for this playset for $39.99.

Not sure what that means for it showing up at Walmart retail stores, but at least it's another option if you're desperate for this set.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 07:18 PM »
EE is now taking pre-orders for this playset for $39.99.

Not sure what that means for it showing up at Walmart retail stores, but at least it's another option if you're desperate for this set.

Here's hoping that this means there's still a chance that EE will get the Vintage Collection Mimban Stormtrooper.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 03:02 PM »
In strange news, I was in my local Wal*Mart this morning, which is getting a remodel. The toy section was being completely reset, and there were planograms everywhere. I found the (completely empty) Star Wars section and saw the breakdown of the shelf. Lightsabers, Black Series figures, GOA, Vintage...and on the shelf a large area for the Kessel Playset...which I then saw en masse in the next aisle over!

My neighborhood WM is one of the small versions, so it never got the big stuff even for the movie launches. Now these show up nine months late...I guess it gives me hope the Jabba's Palace Playset will eventually make it to stores. (And more small hope in the fact that they finally clearanced out all the Snokes and Jyns that have been camped out in there forever for $2.50!)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 02:30 PM »
I picked this up for $7 at Walmart on clearance today.  :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2019, 08:52 AM »
That seems like the right price for an oddly shaped cardboard playset with a repacked figure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I’m kinda anxiously stalking these locally but I only want the coaxium box(es) if I can get them cheap.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77