Author Topic: Target Solo 3.75" Vandor-1 Playset with Chewbacca  (Read 11943 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Target Solo 3.75" Vandor-1 Playset with Chewbacca
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Yep playset will be $44.99
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 12:18 AM »
Interesting for sure. Glad they're doing something and hope they do well enough to explore bigger sets.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Based off the info I got in store today these have a hard street date of 8/5. What is the point of a street date for something for a two month old movie?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 01:01 PM »
While these cardboard playsets aren't what I have in mind, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over not liking them.  I have hopes Haslab will come through, but even if they don't, I have amassed enough custom playsets and Space Walls now over time that I'm content (well, mostly content).

There are a lot of things that Hasbro has been doing that I don't really care for recently like these cardboard playsets, so I mostly just don't get them or wait until they hit a price I feel like I am comfortable spending the money on. If it's something I feel is worth it, I definitely go all in though (like the Sail Barge).

I kind wish for the Conveyex, they had just made a vehicle - with the front main area sold with one cargo cart, and then you could buy another set if you wanted to add more carts.  You'd get stuck with more front areas that way, but I am not sure they'd break them up as separate sets.  I also am not sure if Hasbro would feel it's "aggressive" enough or "action" enough for a vehicle, hence this playset approach.

I also an interested in an AT-Hauler.  Doubt that will ever happen, but I really like the design.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 02:46 PM »
I love the cardboard playsets. Hope that doesn't come as a shock to anyone. I can't wait to get them. My only complaint is the flat staircases...I wish people would stop thinking that's good enough, because its not. :-\

When I heard the rumor of the Vandor playset, I was hoping beyond hope they would just do it as a train set...I mean why not? I would have even taken a set like the little Thomas ones my sons have played with for years:

I can even imagine this exact layout working if converted to the Vandor theme.

(I have dreamed of Star Wars train tables for years, though. Like, making the equivalent of motorized Action Fleet ships that can "launch" into space on clear acrylic raised tracks, while speeders take tracks that stay landbound. It's been in my head forever.)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I love playsets too, and love they're taking a shot at these. Vandor might have been more interesting as primarily the train and track, with some additional elements, but that's really a vehicle. Hopefully the lack of success of the Solo movie doesn't doom these or any other potential sets down the line. Anything from the OT, a Crait Base, Snoke's Throne Room, lots of ideas.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Would this be awesome if it was all plastic? Yes
Would I prefer it was OT? Yes
Do I wish it was $30? Yes

But I still like we got a playset again. So I'm not gonna flip out on Hasbro over it. I'm guessing no one assumed Solo would under perform this much and nothing is ever gonna be as inexpensive as we hope again
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 05:02 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Found this playset at my local Target tonight, but got an 8/5 register block at checkout.  Tried to argue it was on the shelf, but they wouldn't sell it. :(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 02:41 PM »
These haven't been too hard to find. Gonna pick one up eventually.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I've seen it at Target collecting dust with the rest of the star wars stuff. It's not going to sell. The Chewie is nice though.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Yeah I saw this for the first time last night and didn't pick it up.  I'm a guy who buys everything,but $50 for a bunch of heavy duty cardboard and a few bits of plastic seems insane.  I think this one has clearance written all over it.

Which sucks, because well done play sets that fit on shelves, are made of actual plastic, and featured environments that aren't mostly rock and snow would probably sell, and Hasbro is probably going to conclude that play sets are a dud after this.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 02:06 PM »
It's not going to sell.
I think this one has clearance written all over it.

Well, since 90% of Star Wars toys seem to hit some type of clearance these days, I'd say that's a safe bet.   :-X

Hasbro is probably going to conclude that play sets are a dud after this.

Based on all the evidence the past few years (TFA Falcon clearance, AT-ACT clearance, TLJ BB-8 playset clearance), I think they can already see the trend when it comes to "big" playset type sets.  Outside of a HasLab type setting for an OT-themed playset, no one wants to to pay the $$ for it. 

I give Hasbro props for doing something different and trying to find a way to get playsets out there for under $50.   In my mind, they went with a $45 "Palitoy Death Star" cardboard thing instead of a $200 "Kenner Death Star" type set.  Is that the right call?  I dunno. It may not work, but at least they tried something new to serve that market at a lower cost. 

I think I'm at the point age and collecting-space wise where (outside of a HasLab Death Star playset), I'd rather they just focused on giving us some kind of line with better accessories/set pieces instead of the whole playset.  It would be great if Hasbro could find space for some kind of "figure + set piece" sub-line (TFA torture chair + figure; Yavin 4 table + Rebel figure; Sabaac Table + alien dude; Kessel computer terminal + droid; etc). 

Instead, I guess we just have to wait until 3rd party "space wall" type guys help us out on that sort of stuff.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 04:03 PM »
It would be great if Hasbro could find space for some kind of "figure + set piece" sub-line (TFA torture chair + figure; Yavin 4 table + Rebel figure; Sabaac Table + alien dude; Kessel computer terminal + droid; etc). 

This. A thousand times this.

Hasbro will likely not give up on large playsets/vehicles/price points in the near term, if only to continue to occupy shelf real estate in a market that is rapidly shrinking. The SW model of small figure with vehicle / playset pattern is virtually the only one left of its kind not of the Imaginext or Lego variety (well there's Jurassic World) and there's apparently enough interest there to sustain it through what is a clear trend toward six inch and other play patterns.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2018, 07:46 PM »
The SW model of small figure with vehicle / playset pattern is virtually the only one left of its kind not of the Imaginext or Lego variety (well there's Jurassic World) and there's apparently enough interest there to sustain it through what is a clear trend toward six inch and other play patterns.

The Hasbro line that I am jealous of as far as figure/playset play pattern success is My Little Pony. They get playsets all the time, really nice and appropriate ones, too.

Not counting the Chewie that comes with it, the only Vandor-1 figure out so far is the Rangetrooper. Stretching it you could also say Lando works with it. I don't see a Vandor-1 playset moving until there are more figures to interact with it. I doubt Kenner's Creature Cantina would have sold all that well before the '79 wave hit, either. You gotta have some figures to inhabit your playset, and we have no "Solo" figures yet.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 12:29 PM »
It would be great if Hasbro could find space for some kind of "figure + set piece" sub-line (TFA torture chair + figure; Yavin 4 table + Rebel figure; Sabaac Table + alien dude; Kessel computer terminal + droid; etc). 

This. A thousand times this.

Hasbro will likely not give up on large playsets/vehicles/price points in the near term, if only to continue to occupy shelf real estate in a market that is rapidly shrinking. The SW model of small figure with vehicle / playset pattern is virtually the only one left of its kind not of the Imaginext or Lego variety (well there's Jurassic World) and there's apparently enough interest there to sustain it through what is a clear trend toward six inch and other play patterns.

Yeah...

I actually miss the days of the line back in the early 2000's when they tried some stuff like this.  Remember the assorted droid factory pieces that came in offerings like the Geonosis arena, deluxe figure offerings and basic figure bases?  That was the beginning of something that could have been very cool.  And in the ROTS line when they offered those bases that could attach to one another?  That had some serious potential, but Hasbro never really followed through on the idea.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback