Author Topic: Complete Set Storage?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Complete Set Storage?
« on: August 9, 2018, 12:52 PM »
As my kids are growing up they're not interested in keeping all of their Star Wars Legos built and in their rooms.

At this time I'm not interested in displaying these with the rest of my Star Wars collection and just want to put them in storage in the basement, although I guess I might display them at some future time.

Any recommendations on the best way to store these?
- Do I buy mega ziploc bags and store them mostly complete so I can easily reassemble them?  I know this will take up more room.
- Do I break these down in to individual blocks and put them in gallon sized ziplocs for better storage, knowing I would have to fully reassemble these in the future if I cared to display them?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Set Storage?
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2018, 11:16 PM »
It’s a preference thing and a space thing.  I don’t think there’s a right answer.

Mine are all broken down to save space, separated into labeled ziplock bags and then like you said, in storage bins from there. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:54 AM »
Mine are all broken down to save space, separated into labeled ziplock bags and then like you said, in storage bins from there.

Same for me as well. In fact, I'm rapidly approaching a point where I need to break a lot down to make room for new stuff. I have no where to display the latest sets that have just been released.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Same, I have mine in giant freezer/zipper Ziplocs that are labeled. Then I have the Instructions thrown in somewhere too. Throw all of that into a giant Rubbermaid bin. Even a giant $100+ set fits into 2, sometimes 3 of those Ziplocs, so you can fit a ton of stuff into one single bin.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Deke Starkiller

• Jedi Initiate
  • Moof Milker™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38 PM »
As my kids are growing up they're not interested in keeping all of their Star Wars Legos built and in their rooms.

At this time I'm not interested in displaying these with the rest of my Star Wars collection and just want to put them in storage in the basement, although I guess I might display them at some future time.

Any recommendations on the best way to store these?
- Do I buy mega ziploc bags and store them mostly complete so I can easily reassemble them?  I know this will take up more room.
- Do I break these down in to individual blocks and put them in gallon sized ziplocs for better storage, knowing I would have to fully reassemble these in the future if I cared to display them?

When I moved across the country my UCS Star Destroyer was: dusted, disassembled, parts separated, and pieces were bagged accordingly then put into larger bags. So, dust 'em and bag 'em.
"YAGAMAROO!"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 9, 2019, 09:49 PM »
What did you decide on Dave?  My daughter has some Lego friends sets that we put into storage.  We have disassembled them in the past, but then its so time consuming rebuilding them later on.  We opted to store them mostly completed in big storage tubs.  Keeps the dust off, and still doesn't take all that much space.  Plus you can kind of see what sets are there without having to sift through pieces or look through all the directions.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 09:18 AM »
I ended up with the half assed approach.

If the sets are small enough I just placed them fully built in to a ziploc bag.  If they were larger sets I disassembled them only enough to jam them in to large gallon ziploc bags.

Once bagged I place them in to larger boxes with their instructions, and inventory the full boxes so I can find the sets later if necessary.

With the sets the kid's played with I've found that there are some missing pieces I just can't track down.  So I've created a list and at some point will try and make a bulk order off of Lego.com to complete the sets.