Author Topic: NYCC 2018  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: NYCC 2018
« Reply #15 on: October 8, 2018, 04:25 PM »
**scratches head** Am I the only one that thinks this is going to be a mess for Walmart?

Just to clarify, these three are regular non-exclusive basic figure releases.  Not Walmart exclusive.  Walmart SKUs are provided by Jayson for those who like using brickseek.  No use providing Target DPCI here since it's not helpful for locating specific figures.

As for Walmart specifically, pretty much EVERYTHING they are doing right now is a mess, so why would this be different for them. :P

Thanks Jeff.

I'm not sure what seems like a dumber move - a WM exclusive or a general release?  This screams of peg warmer of the likes we haven't seen since Captain Zuvio.

I could see this working as a retailer exclusive 3-pack, but am struggling to figure out how this will work otherwise. 

I had been getting most everything that they make in 6", but this might be my tipping point to start getting really selective.  I'm with McMetal - I could probably name 150 figures that I would want made before these ones.  Also the slow sales for the SDCC Vintage 3-pack should be a warning sign that demand for these are likely to be lower than expected.

I just hope they make these in smaller numbers to keep the pegs from clogging.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 8, 2018, 04:40 PM »
That was also $65 with shipping for three 4" figs. I have no guess anymore what will sell and what won't, but not sure our wants for random on screen characters to be made because we don't read this comic is where I'm gonna base my thoughts on whether this is a good or bad decision.

Gotta believe figure 128 on your list isn't a no brainer to make in 6".

And gotta think at least some idea behind this is to possibly advertise other mediums
« Last Edit: October 8, 2018, 04:46 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 8, 2018, 08:39 PM »
I'm kind of wondering about Aphra and the droids, too.  Hasbro really thinks these are going to be decent mainline offerings?  These might be good as an exclusive 3-pack.  I wonder if having Episode 9 moved back might have affected their plans for the 6" Black Series line?

Personally, I think Hasbro should have tried tapping some of the more iconic Cantina aliens.  The Cantina aliens that got made in the Kenner vintage line might have been good candidates.  Or did they want to go with more current entertainment?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 8, 2018, 08:47 PM »
If they want to go with more current entertainment, make Zeb.  :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: October 9, 2018, 02:18 AM »
I couldn’t recall the Trooper origin either.  How many troopers wirh jetpacks does the Empire have at this point haha?  I feel like there is a lot on my 4” shelf, but he looks cool.

Contrary to popular opinion on forums Aphra won the fan vote so I figured a 6” wasn’t far off.  I was surprised her and the droids all at once as basic figures but droids are popular and Aphra seems to be too, for some folks anyway.

I love the 4” figure, personally.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 9, 2018, 11:07 AM »

They're already tackling Ezra and Chopper.  I'd be up for some villains from REBELS, like Kallus (pre-turn) or the Grand Inquisitor.  And if we're talking current entertainment, how long will it be before RESISTANCE characters turn up in the 6" Black Series?

Overall, the Vintage Collection reveals were decent.  Seeing them all lined up together it looks like a reasonably diverse selection.  But it seems like except for the new Rey exclusive, Crait Luke and Ahch-To Luke, that core characters from the Sequel Trilogy are getting short shrift.  There are ZERO droids in the TVC line, and only 4 figures from SOLO thus far.  I'm curious to see how the line will continue to develop moving forward.

There are a couple of TVC exclusive figures that I'm curious about if we're looking at the number sequence (VC 136 & 137) since they ahead of the Han Solo and 41st Elite Corps Clone that were announced.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #21 on: October 9, 2018, 11:58 AM »

Hmm....
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird