Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2019  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2019
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 10:47 AM »
To say that they're playing things close to the vest is a massive understatement.  It's frustrating, without a doubt.  This is coming not just from Hasbro but from Disney and Lucasfilm licensing.  It's an across the board effort that is coming from the very top to all licensees.

We saw three big movie line rollouts in 2015, 2016 and 2017 that came out 3 months in advance of their respective movies (Solo was a different model).  What we learned was that it was probably too early.  The move was intended to build interest in the movies with a long buildup to the theatrical releases of TFA, Rogue One and TLJ.  The interest going into the release of TFA was massive.  But it has trailed off since that time.  There was the perception that too much product was made, repeating some mistakes of the past like we saw with Episode I.  So there are corrections being made.  The line is being released closer to the release of TROS in theaters.  That's what is at work here - information is going to be released when Disney wants it released.  They're giving us a Preview Figure in the form of the Black Series Sith Trooper.

The big problem that a licensee like Hasbro seems to be facing is perception.  Product has been announced, and it's getting out there in dribs and drabgs.  But finding new product at retail continues to be a challenge.  I haven't really seen new TVC figures in stores in any sort of quantity since the wave with Enfys Nest and the Range Trooper was released.  Figures are getting out there, but it seems inconsistent or supply is limited in brick and mortar stores.  When you go the online retail route?  Your order may get fulfilled, but that sense of tracking something down for your collection is diminished.

Patience is the answer to all of this.  But when have we ever known collectors to be a patient sort?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback