Author Topic: Custom painted OTC Millenium Falcon  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Custom painted OTC Millenium Falcon
« on: November 19, 2018, 10:27 PM »
I've been wanting to do this for a while.  I couldn't bring myself to spend the cash for a BMF repaint, so I initially planned to get a POTF2 version and work from there.  Well, the VTC came up for a good price and I picked it up, right after I had purchased a POTF2 that needed a few parts.  So I stripped the POTF2 of what I needed and put them in place.  Then I went to work.

Simply put, all I did was paint.  I masked and then primed the entire ship in white.  Then I sprayed two coats of white to the ship.  After that, I painted the different hull plates different colors.  After that, I went to work on the various pipes and painted several of them.  Then it was off to paint all the various access points.  Following each access point, I would run thinner all over the area, and then wipe it down with a cloth.  This would allow the colors to thin and run.  Then I went with a thinner based black wash in which I took a brush that had been dabbed in black, then ran the brush all over a section of the hull.  Then I'd quickly wipe that down in a certain direction, and then put my brush in thinner and rub the thinner everywhere, and again, use the cloth to smear it.  After that I added various coolant drips and use the wipe technique for that.  The last part of the hull was to get some a window screen repair kit, and cut out six discs and put them on the vents at the rear.  Then I used the smear technique again and that was the end of the outer hull.

Inside, all I did was mask everything off, and then paint with a gunmetal color.  Then I used a dry silver brush to add some weather to the floor.  I did this in the cargo area and the cockpit.  Then I painted the main gun and the radar dish, using the same base color and then black wash.  The last step was spraying a dull coat to seal the colors.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with the project.  There are some things I would do differently next time, and would probably be a little more conservative with the black wash.  So I'm claiming this is the darker looking MF from ESB.

Also, I've gotten what I wanted from this, so I'd like to get it moved to an appreciative fan.  I'm asking $75 OBO plus shipping.  I'm motivated to sell, so if you're interested, feel free to make an offer as long as it isn't a lowball. 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:08 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.