Author Topic: Galaxy of Adventures 3.75" Basic Figures  (Read 12635 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Galaxy of Adventure Basic Figures
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 02:47 AM »
What kinda blows my mind is these got out to coincide with the toons on YouTube but resistance stuff is nowhere to be found.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36 AM »
I get the figures for Resistance being more time consuming to produce but yeah it is insane there is no merchandise to push the show yet. I feel like there's a big gift buying holiday coming up too......
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 08:59 AM »
What kinda blows my mind is these got out to coincide with the toons on YouTube but resistance stuff is nowhere to be found.

Agree 1000%!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 12:09 PM »

Well, to be fair the Resistance stuff is 100% new sculpts and these are just new packaging.  I imagine it's much easier/faster to get new stuff out if you're just creating new packaging for old sculpts.  The other factor is that these GOA figures are a new line/sku that are being launched as an exclusive (Walmart) first. 

For the Resistance stuff, which is part of the regular basic figure line, I can't imagine a buyer like Target was too excited about the idea of stocking a THIRD basic figure line next to the unsold TLJ and SOLO 3.75" lines (and the expensive TVC stuff too).  Maybe it is better to let Christmas clearance kill those lines then launch the Resistance 3.75" stuff fresh in Spring?

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 12:47 PM »
I think Hasbro is reserving a majority of their action figure/vehicle tooling budget for late 2019 for Episode IX. Seems that this is the usual M.O. between films - heavy on the repacks and cheaper/higher margin products [Star Wars Command, Fighter Pods/Microforce, now repacks (for TVC), GOA, and reissues for TBS (Archive).]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:48 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Good points and logic Jeff and Jayson...  I’m more annoyed the Solo crew is only NOW getting out.  I feel like this should’ve been wave one of that line at this point haha.  The Resistance toon in general seems to be kind of low key compared to Rebels and its push.  It’s not a bad show though at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 8, 2019, 12:42 AM »
Found WAVE 2 this morning in addition to finding a complete case of Resistance Wave 1 figures - they were sitting on the shelf in this little display case that I'm sure was packed with the wave. Since I bought all of the Wave 2 tubes leaving just 2x of Vader and 2x Chewie, when I went to the self-checkout, I asked the attendant if I could have it and since it was Walmart, she didn't care, so now I have a nice little display for my MIP Galaxy of Adventure figures.  ;D

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 02:49 PM »
I stopped by the local Walmart store this morning and noticed something.  They had wave 1 of the Galaxy of Adventure line in stock.  Not in any significant quantity, but they were there.  The most notable thing I took from seeing these?  The Galaxy of Adventure line looks like a COMPLETE AFTERTHOUGHT.  The tubes were shoved all the way to the back of the shelf and were not a point of focus at all.  It's almost as if Hasbro offered these purely for the purpose of killing the 3.75" action figure line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Why does what Walmart did with them have anything to do with Hasbro?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 11:47 AM »
I think the packaging is very weird for these.  They come in a case of twelve, on two trays or six, in tubes that can be hung from pegs as well.   

I've seen these both stacked on a shelf in their trays and hung on pegs.

Hanging them on pegs seems to not work very well because stores only have a peg devoted to these, and the cylindrical design doesn't allow for more than four figures on a peg at a time.  If they were flat carded figures you could fit a lot more.  Granted stores could do multiple pegs closer together, but I've yet to see that.

These don't seem to naturally fit on a shelf either since shelf space seems to be reserved for larger items, so I can see how Wal-Mart shoved these in a strange spot.

I wonder if these were originally designed for some other retail location (Walgreens?) where they could sit in a checkout aisle or something.  Or maybe they gave this design opportunity to an intern who did something visually different, but impractical from a sales channel perspective.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 01:29 PM »
All fine points Dave.

Isn't this a short lived line to push the cartoon shorts? Just think maybe killing the 3.75 line as this as the evidence might be hyperbole

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 01:44 PM »
My point about "killing the 3.75" line" was really about the marketing.  Sure, there are the animated shorts.  Those are interesting.  But the merchandising and marketing of this line is NOT well done. 

There has barely been any advertising.  I've only seen these at WalMart.  Has anyone seen them at another retailer?  I've heard about them being put into bins, seen them pushed to the back of shelves, and the product isn't that visible in the packaging.  The only thing that gives me some hope regarding the future of this line (and 5POA 3.75" figures) is the fact that they retooled Force Link figures to release them in this line without the chips.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Target has them on a couple pegs with their new set

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 04:17 PM »
The POP displays will look so much better at Ollie's than the purple Hasbro boxes. >:D

And seriously, the whole product looks designed to be a Five Below display. I like the design all around (except for so much recently rehashed product,) I can't wait to adapt it to a neat display. I don't think I would buy more than the Vader and Stormtrooper of what's been shown because I have the rest (or already decided not to buy them.)

As far as "Why Galaxy of Adventures at all?" my theory is this was the beginning of a Disney work-around for using the OT material while Fox had the rights...but when they began the process of acquiring Fox that project became a dead-end, and the idea got dumped in its present form as a space filler for the non-movie Christmas.

The more I see them, the more I can believe that by fall the line will become the 6" 5POA at $10. We will certainly find out at Toy Fair if that's the case.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Target has them on a couple pegs with their new set

I was freaked out seeing these there because I assumed these were WM exclusives
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks