Author Topic: 2019 Kenner Retro Collection - Star Wars  (Read 51923 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
2019 Kenner Retro Collection - Star Wars
« on: February 15, 2019, 09:29 PM »
So... Kenner-style Star Wars figures?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:48 PM by Jeff »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Kenner Retro Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:48 PM »

My mind is racing with this...

Want -- Tarkin, Rebel Trooper, Cantina Band, Muftak (!!!), Mongo Beefhead Tribesman...

Reality -- Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, Rose (!!!)

Also, there's no way it happens for less than $13 a figure. Maybe as high as $20.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:15 AM »

My mind is racing with this...

Want -- Tarkin, Rebel Trooper, Cantina Band, Muftak (!!!), Mongo Beefhead Tribesman...

Reality -- Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, Rose (!!!)

Also, there's no way it happens for less than $13 a figure. Maybe as high as $20.

Agreed, but they shouldn’t cost more regular 5POA figures - even though they will.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:29 AM »
Oh no, Hasbro would/will cite limited collector interest and lower production runs to justify the high price. And I mean, if GOA rehashes are 10 bucks a pop, why shouldn't brand-new sculpts cost more?

All that said, if I were in charge I would do 12 waves of 12 figures each to cover each of the movies (though Clone Wars would cover the whole series.) Essential characters for prequels and sequels, and missed opportunities for the OT.

It begs the question, what kind of packaging? If it is Vintage, why not stick these in TVC waves to help abate costs of new highly-articulated figures? Oh the mind reels at the possibilities...

(Have to get the speculating fun done before Hasbro pops my balloon tomorrow...) uh

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 12:37 AM »
I don’t mind the idea of supplementing the vintage line in theory.  The part I worry about is them making figures that already exist from the 70’s and 80’s.  Like, they’re going to make retro OT figures without touching Luke, Leia, Vader, etc...? 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 12:43 AM »
Nah. Removable helmet Vader. Medal Ceremony Luke. Stormtrooper Han. Bespin Escape Leia. So many places to go.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 08:35 AM »
I hate them.  They’re almost identical to real vintage.  What’s the point?!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 08:42 AM »

+1

I’m sorry, but I’m not happy about this either. It comes across like a cynical play at a nostalgia driven cash grab.  Especially in light of the tremendous advances in sculpting and articulation that we’ve seen over the course of the modern line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 09:07 AM »
If they’d shown Tarkin and Hem Dazon and Mon Mothma, I’d be really into this.  As it stands, these six are total garbage and it’s going to make a mess of eBay listings and the secondary market for vintage collecting.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 09:22 AM »
I was hoping for something that would expand the vintage line. As it is, I already have four of these from that 4-pack Kenner offered in 1995.  :P
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 09:53 AM »
The one point where they might have drawn me in with this wave?  If they had done little head Han Solo.  I never liked big head Han Solo.  I originally had the little head version, but my dog ate it.  And the replacement wound up being big head Han.  Ughhh
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Well I wasn't expecting reissues, which Hasbro swore off after the '95 set Ben referenced was received so poorly. I have no interest in these as I have the originals carded and loose, but I would be very interested in an expansion (Tarkin, Wedge, etc.) which is possible should these go over well. I'll probably get Leia and of course a Jawa if they do one.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Again I like it. I'd take vintage looking never made figures too, but this is cool to me. Congrats to you who has real 12 or 20/21 backs but not me. And I laugh at these messing up market for the real deal.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 10:19 AM »

I don't have thousands of dollars is the point
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 10:21 AM »
If they’d shown Tarkin and Hem Dazon and Mon Mothma, I’d be really into this.  As it stands, these six are total garbage and it’s going to make a mess of eBay listings and the secondary market for vintage collecting.

Hyperbole. To me this is the I have the originals and don't want others to have fake originals argument. Somewhat similar to the 6" Archives haters argument. Sorry if I'm wrong. I have real deal loose. Not carded. Cool opportunity
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 10:24 AM by GrandMoffNick »