Author Topic: 2019 Kenner Retro Collection - Star Wars  (Read 51580 times)

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Kenner Retro Collection
« Reply #75 on: May 5, 2019, 11:47 PM »
I guess I'd say if you were someone who was going to spend the $ a real vintage 12 back is there's 0.0002% chance you'd fall for it.

If you knew so little you'd be able to fall for it I imagine it'd be someone spending a small amount of money not realizing that in itself should have told you it's fake
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: May 5, 2019, 11:57 PM »
You might be right Nick but life has taught me that, on average, most people are dumb.   

If there are people in this world dumb enough to make the Kardashians famous, there are certainly people dumb enough to drop $600 on these thinking they're getting a deal.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 6, 2019, 01:30 AM »
No argument on either statement from me
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #78 on: May 6, 2019, 10:48 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I agree, someone who's been collecting for a long time is going to know what to look for.  But the internet is full of ******** that will prey on the uninformed.

And if you see these FB collecting groups....my God there are so many people who think they can send their kids to college if they just get the right action figure.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 9, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I could see someone falling for this in an online sale if the sticker was removed and only the front was shown.  But to Nick's point, anyone with half a brain cell ought to know the difference once they see it in person, even casual collectors.  The back only shows 6 figures and the very first thing it says is "The Star Wars Retro collection is inspired by 1970s Star Wars figures..."  It also has the Disney and Hasbro logos at the bottom, is dated 2018, and has two websites listed in bold red font despite there being no such thing as the internet when the originals were made.  The fake scuffing on the cards is pretty obvious as well when you have them in hand.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 10:31 AM »
I managed to score a set yesterday. Very surreal. I feel like I'm 8 years old again.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2019, 12:37 PM »
I managed to score a set yesterday. Very surreal. I feel like I'm 8 years old again.

Just curious, did you have to ask for them to be brought out, or were they on the floor? I keep hearing stories that they are going to be in a special shipper display, but haven't heard of anyone actually finding them there.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2019, 01:06 PM »
I'll just throw out there that the dumb Target self imposed street date doesn't have to coincide with the focal planogram set date

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2019, 01:08 PM »

Just curious, did you have to ask for them to be brought out, or were they on the floor? I keep hearing stories that they are going to be in a special shipper display, but haven't heard of anyone actually finding them there.

I asked, gave them the DCPI. Lots of people were out there looking yesterday. First Target I went to, they showed having 4 sets in back, but could only find 1. :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:09 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2019, 04:56 PM »
I asked, gave them the DCPI. Lots of people were out there looking yesterday. First Target I went to, they showed having 4 sets in back, but could only find 1. :(

I used to work at Target with another JD collector.  It's very rare in my experience that stuff actually gets "lost" in the back room.  Cases get coded right off the truck and their inventory system is simple enough for monkeys to figure out.  Its far more likely that someone either didn't want to look elsewhere, the cases were sold and someone didn't check them out of inventory, or a target employee was stashing them for his/her self.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2019, 12:29 AM »
I was able to grab a set of these on Sunday. Had to ask to have them brought out. The employee brought out a case, I asked if I could take all six figures in the case since they were all different, at first she was like "well, since they had a street date, we usually limit, but since they are all different, sure, go ahead" - I was the only person in my Target actively looking for these things when the store opened.

Unlike with the modern sculpts, I'm getting one set to keep MOC and that's it. I do not need to get a set of these to open. I *may* grab a 2nd board game so I can put a carded Tarkin with the six other carded figures on display some day and also play the game - haven't played that game since I was a kid, but it was a favorite of ours on game night when my sister and I were little.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2019, 12:33 AM »
I'm hoping more of these make it to the pegs.  There's been no sign of these in my area.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2019, 04:30 AM »
I have been keeping my eye on these in passing, and Target will have to make it easy for me if they want the sale. Honestly I only see myself getting Leia (she and Ben are the 2 figures from the original 12 I don't have) and a couple stormtroopers...maybe good old Big Head Han, too, since right now I have the Han from the '95 4-pack filling the spot. I hated Big Head as a kid, hated having to get him as a replacement for my "real" Han once the one I got in '78 went all loose and couldn't stand anymore. But hate has turned to nostalgia. I miss hating him to his big ugly face.

I was ready to buy those yesterday via the website which kept promising the sold out preorders would become active listings on May 12th...but instead they just turned into plain old "sold out." >:(

Tarkin was a whole different story, I wasn't sure how easy he would be to find so that was a priority. Now I feel like if I see Leia in the store or show up online I will get her. And once I do, I fear it will drive me to finally tracking down a decent Ben to finish up a set of the 12 to display permanently.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2019, 11:15 AM »
I'm hoping more of these make it to the pegs.  There's been no sign of these in my area.

Don't forget - these are only Target exclusive for now.  Per Hasbro's latest update on May 4th, these Retro Collection figures will be available at "fan channels" this Fall -

From the press release -
"Available exclusively at Target, Target.com on 5/12/2019, and at most fan channel retailers nationwide in Fall 2019."

If you can't find them now, just wait until Fall and order a case of them from Entertainment Earth (#sponsorplug).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2019, 03:12 PM »
The reports circulating today about a Father’s Day display with all 4 exclusives  in the men’s clothing section are accurate. I got my set of Retro figures today in such a section and saw the Tarkin, TVC, and TBS sets as well. Also some non-SW video games as well.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot