Author Topic: Star Wars The Vintage Collection Archive Edition Book - Kickstarter  (Read 12276 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Not sure if you guys all saw this, but incase it was interesting to any of you, it seemed worthy of a thread... the mockup pages look awesome.  The only thing I can't stand about this kind of thing is that they're incomplete after a few months... I went ahead and backed it for now so I could get the tier I wanted before they sell out... it's jumped $9,000 in the 20 minutes between when I learned about it and when I posted this...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bluemilk/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-archive-edition-book

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
That's pretty cool. Not sure I'd buy a visual guide of just TVC figures though. Now something that chronicled ALL Star Wars figures, though probably impossible, I'd definitely buy.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
I don't get it though...the Vintage Collection is still ongoing (I think). Are they planning on making future editions as well?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I don't get it though...the Vintage Collection is still ongoing (I think). Are they planning on making future editions as well?

Probably eventually. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com

From their FAQ:

Our goal is to cover every item released until the end of this year, 2019. That gives us a clean break with the 2010-2012 and 2018 & 2019 releases.

Many of the individuals who worked on the line from its inception have moved on to other projects or left Hasbro altogether, so waiting any longer to capture their stories could mean they'd be lost in time.

Additionally, each item will get a full-page treatment and we will have over 300 pages of content. Anything beyond our estimated page count would push the limit between quantity and quality. Our goal first and foremost is to deliver a premium quality book.

If the line continues into 2020 and beyond, we could potentially release a second volume picking up with the 2020 releases. If that did happen, we'd do something special for backers of this project, as a sign of our appreciation.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
It seems like this project has some potential.  And I honestly didn't realize that Derryl DePriest had moved on from Hasbro.   I knew he had been promoted to a level above Star Wars brand management.  But I had to credit him for an excellent run managing the Star Wars brand at Hasbro, including the launch of the Vintage Collection.  He can definitely bring some unique insight to this book along with access to the people who were responsible for a lot of the great things TVC offered.

But as soon as I saw the announcement?  I started shaking my head about the potential whining and bitching from certain segments of the online collecting community who have fetishized the Vintage Collection.  And the fact that they have made the collecting community unpleasant at times really bothers me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
This thing was at $10k this morning when I first found it, it's at $46k now.  It'll be funded by the evening.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Did this just start today? It's almost funded.

I like the idea of potential follow-up volumes being all-new material instead of a re-hash + new.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
As far as I know yes, it just crossed $50k. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Pretty amazing how fast this thing is going. Had to order one myself.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
$86k in a little over a day. They just announced some Stretch Goals... looks like if the book gets tons of orders they’ll keep adding content to it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
About to hit the 125k mark. I can't see it not hitting the 150k mark although it appears to be losing a little bit of steam.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
About to hit the 125k mark. I can't see it not hitting the 150k mark although it appears to be losing a little bit of steam.

I'm guessing it'll do what the barge did... huge upfront, lull for 3 weeks, good push at the end.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
One week left, it's at $153k.  If they get to $175k everyone gets a 3-coin set included...

Oh and one more thing... For those of you wondering about our $175,000 stretch goal, did you get the clue from its title (Sorry About the Mess )? We are thrilled to announce that all backers will receive a three (3) coin set featuring the Slave I, Jabba the Hutt and Jabba's Sail Barge. Not only do these coins tell the story of Han Solo's journey from The Empire Strikes Back to Return of the Jedi, but the Slave I, Jabba and Jabba's Barge have never had their own coins in either Kenner's POTF or Hasbro's 30th Anniversary lines. They'll fit in perfectly with your existing coin collection. We'll have more details and coin designs in a future update.

So, I suppose I'm hoping for a late surge.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile

So, I suppose I'm hoping for a late surge.

I am. A digital copy would be fantastic.