Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2019  (Read 8331 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2019
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 06:32 PM »
I feel like the aesthetic of the 5" figs is a GOOD sign 3.75 is ok.

And I gotta think these will be more than $10. A bunch of articulation and battle features.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:33 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Those GOA youtube videos are mega popular.  Huge crowds in the comments, tons of people asking for the films to be redone in animated style using the audio from the originals...  I'm kinda shocked by the crowds every video gets.

Of course the only ones that are littered with complaining are the ones about female characters, LMAO
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 06:39 PM »
Um so yeah. How is this 5" line not the same as what I can go to Disney Store and get (at least aesthetic wise)?

And that was a boring presentation

So there really is going to be a 5” line?!  I don’t get the point of doing something between existing 4” and 6” lines. Was there any indication that 3 3/4” was really on the chopping block?  If it goes, I really am done with new stuff.  I don’t know which option would be better and which one worse.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 09:09 PM »
These presentations normally give me collector anxiety. Because despite it being a bunch of future releases I already feel like I'm newly that much farther behind. I do not feel that way today.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 09:54 PM »
See that is a good thing...

NYCC though...  eh...  may not feel that way.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 10:12 PM »
They didn't really show much from Ep7 or Ep8 ahead of time so I'm guessing the Ep9 stuff will follow suit and won't be seen until it leaks in the weeks leading up to Triple Force Friday.

I'm mainly interested to see if they will finally address the Galaxy of Adventures 5" line rumors.

So, looks like my expectations were met.  Nothing from the Triple Force Friday goodies (Manadlorian, Ep9, Fallen Order).

Glad to see them finally go on the record that the 5" stuff is in fact happening, kudos to Jayson/Yakface for being all over that since like February (or earlier).

I don’t get the point of doing something between existing 4” and 6” lines. Was there any indication that 3 3/4” was really on the chopping block?

I feel like the aesthetic of the 5" figs is a GOOD sign 3.75 is ok.

Will there be 3.75" in the Fall?  3.75" TVC, yep.  3.75" 5POA... remains to be seen.  Again, Jayson has dug up a ****-ton of product #s for October.  Lots of 5" GOA, lots of Black Series 6", lots of 3.75" TVC.  But next to nothing for 3.75" 5POA. 

Yes, lack of evidence/#s being found doesn't prove 3.75" 5POA is dead... but it sure doesn't help those rumors either.

And I gotta think these will be more than $10. A bunch of articulation and battle features.

STAR WARS GALAXY OF ADVENTURES 5-INCH Figure Assortment
(HASBRO/Ages 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: Starting at $9.99/Available: Fall 2019)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:13 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 10:39 PM »
Wow. $10. I gotta believe people are going to lose their mind that already feel 3.75 is overpriced.....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:42 PM by GrandMoffNick »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 11:57 PM »
Wonder if GOA is cutting out a lot of paint apps and going simpler?  Those figures didn't look particularly less detailed to me, but maybe they are?  Or maybe Hasbro's shifting their manufacturing completely? 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I just feel like maybe all the secrecy hurts Star Wars a bit. I get that a lot of it is out of Hasbro's hands, but just in general. I mean, there is a level of secrecy with Marvel stuff too, but Hasbro is able to basically be the talk of the show with their Legends reveals each time. Often 20-30 new figures shown in some instances. If they can't show movie stuff, they unleash a bunch of new comic based figures. I don't see why they couldn't just mix things up unveiling some OT and PT stuff, or just characters they missed from Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Rogue One, Solo, Clone Wars, or Rebels.

I still kind of wonder about the basic line of 3 3/4" stuff. I don't know that we have had much in the way of rumors for that, where everything else has been covered. I think TVC will continue for the time being, but I could also see that eventually moving to "Fan Channel" or some sort of online exclusive type of thing. I personally love the scale/line, but it sort of seems to be becoming more niche. I could see them wanting the primary lines being the 5" and Black Series.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 08:35 AM »
I collect four things.  Hasbro 3.75”, Super 7 Reaction, Gentle Giant Mini-Busts, and OT SW LEGO.  As far as I can tell, SDCC has basically come and gone and I saw a grand total of one new item in those four lines, a greyscale digital model of a resculpt of Tarkin for the mini-bust line. 

It’s a head scratcher considering how this week usually goes.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51 PM »
It’s a head scratcher considering how this week usually goes.

I'm not even sure why Hasbro went through the motions of this panel if the only thing they were going to be allowed to show was the new 5" line.  It seems like they spent more time talking about stuff you can't even buy (the dioramas and custom figures in them) than the actual new products.

I get that they probably couldn't talk about the Ep9 stuff because of Disney restrictions.  I was hoping we'd get Mandalorian of Fallen Order reveals but nope - saving those for Triple Force Friday too.

So now we get to play the fun game where fan sites dig up scoops and have to make the choice to play nice and sit on info so they don't reveal some paid [insert large media company] reveal that Hasbro has set up.  Or, the fan site can post the scoop, end up on Hasbro's **** list, and get banned from future Hasbro events and press stuff.  Fun times.

I saw a few folks say this on Twitter and I agree - if you're not going to be able to show us anything, at least give us a map of what to expect.  Just say 'sorry we can't show you anything but we can tell you we have 4 waves of 4 figures planned for Fall 2019' or whatever.  Like they did with this type of slide at other shows last year.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 04:03 PM »
Exactly...  Like just say some stuff, and I'd have been happy.  Say "We have some TVC vehicles planned, and some TVC figures which number X and Y are new ones, and some exclusives for blabbity blah..." and I'm pretty happy.

It wasn't just Star Wars either...  like Rob, I didn't see a whole lot new that would interest me.  Acid Rain is doing stuff but they didn't show much at all new at the show, and actually the one manufacturer announced it online instead.  Their exclusive was related to the new stuff but that's it.  The other manufacturer had a lot of stuff, but none of it was new.  Not one thing. 

Hiya Toys brought a 3.75" Robocop figure (cool, and cool that they have the license to that now), but that was it really.  They revealed some predator figures that are new, I think, but it's hard to tell since all the predators have similar looks.  Some are distinct, but some are kind of difficult to place where they came from.  Absolutely no new Alien stuff, which sucked since folks into that line are looking for new human characters but nothing was mentioned or revealed.

GTP Toys was hit/miss on news depending on your POV...  officially licensed, great...  possibly not doing 3.75" or not doing it remotely as nice as they were doing it by making it non-modular, not so great (and possibly ditching things like doors and accessories for it)...  I'd not be remotely surprised if it was Hasbro-related on the latter.  That would utterly suck, and make me wish they hadn't gotten a license, to be honest.

Other companies I'm into weren't at the show since they're Asia-specific.  And I don't believe Bandai had a presence that I've noticed anyone caught...  That sucks since they're doing such good stuff in the modeling world.  If they were there I think we might've missed them, but not sure yet as I'm waiting on Anton's word on final pics and stuff.

Yeah, SDCC in general was a big fat popcorn fart.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 05:57 PM »
I love how the presentation was kind of like "We had such an amazing experience with the Vintage Collection Sail Barge, and it was overwhelmingly backed. It was a huge success for the Vintage Collection! We were so excited that we built a huge diorama for 6" figures! Here's a weirdly scaled Bespin Luke! Here's a new line of 5" figures! Here are some ******* helmets!"
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 07:02 PM »
The SDCC presentation was much better when the movies came out in May....now the timing is all off.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I saw some Bandai stuff Jesse but I think the only new thing was Godzilla.

No one has mentioned Mattel, but they had a pretty good showing I thought. Announced a slew of all new Dino species for the Jurassic line, and showed off a bunch of new MOTU stuff.

Hasbro’s support for the animated entertainment has gotten progressively worse with each incarnation. At this point I don’t expect they will do anything at all for the new Clone Wars.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy