Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130415 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« on: August 27, 2003, 07:16 PM »
I know some of are out there, Jim, Matt, myself probably more

Any way, Tommy Stinson one of the players in the neo-GNR is playing in town tonight and he gave a little dish on the 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 Chinese Democracy

Good Stuff :-*

http://www.startribune.com/stories/457/4052343.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:07 PM by Scott »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 07:46 PM »
A while back, I got a chance to see a live GNR DVD from overseas somewhere?  They played about 5-6 of the new songs and I was quite disappointed.  I guess the only thing keeping me around is that a reunion (although original members claim will never happen) will happen some day.  I was foruneate enough to see the original GNR several times back in the late 80's and early 90's.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 06:59 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 08:07 PM »
Definitely a great, though shortlived, group!  One of my auditing firm's former clients too!  Unfortunately it was the year before I started up at my job, so I missed out on all the GnR auditing fun...

Appetite for Destruction was an absolute masterpiece of an album.  We used to play Welcome to the Jungle in my dorm room all the time back in '88, since we had like 30 plants, vines, swinging gorillas, etc...  Paradise City will always be one of my all-time favorites, especially when I need to get "pumped up!"

On a side note, my wife Patty (along with her then-boyfriend) was in the November Rain video.  She shows up in the crowd shots a couple times, though if you blink, you'll miss her.  She said she had a blast as an extra for that day!

Really too bad the guys hate eachother now.  Also unfortunate to see how out of shape (vocally and physically) Axel was at that surprise MTV performance last year at... what was it?  The VMA's?  Fun to see him back up on the stage, but sad that he was completely winded within 2 minutes, and that Slash was obviously nowhere to be found.

Hopefully they'll reunite someday.  Doesn't sound like it though...   :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 09:22 PM »
Dude, Patty was in the November Rain video.  I knew I shouldn't of shipped her back to you.  Damn.  Every wedding I am in I always reenact the scene where Slash can't find the wedding ring and Duff has it...Classic

I am keeping an open mind, the show last fall by my account was great on the old stuff. Axl was awesome, the band was more than an adequate cover band.  The new stuff was so so, it is hard to get into something when you only hear it once.  I find the same with Pearl Jam for myself, new album comes out, three or four songs stick out as great the rest really grow on you.  

Like I said in Jim's thread, I have hope in the man.  If he ever decides to get it done finally :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 10:34 PM »
GnR is fantastic.  I saw them back around 1987 I think when they came through as the warm up act for The Cult.  Pretty cool and raunchy.  

Touring through Australia (me, not them) I couldn't get enough of sweet child of mine.  To this day, that song reminds me of being in so many places in Australia :D

Some bittersweet memories with them too, though.  A good buddy of mine that I worked in a restaurant with was a huge fan.  He had gotten married, moved away and was going to broadcast school when he apparently killed himself :-\ :'( >:(  GNR was played at his funeral.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 09:36 AM »
Estranged was a song I listened to over and over again when I broke up with my girlfriend in college.  There are a bunch of songs like Estranged that you don't really get the meaning of until you lose love.  

Its been said before by a lot of people (inlcuding most of us) but the whole UYI set could have been pared to 1 CD and been epic...

Problem is most of the songs I would include are all the long ones...

Civil War
Don't Cry
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
November Rain
Yesterdays
Estranged
Get In The Ring
Breakdown
Double Talkin' Jive
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
You Could Be Mine
Don't Damn Me  
Dead Horse
Coma

Cases could be made for Bad Apples, The Garden, Dust n' Bones and So Fine (Duff Sings!) as well.

Virex

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 09:59 AM »
Its been said before by a lot of people (inlcuding most of us) but the whole UYI set could have been pared to 1 CD and been epic...

Problem is most of the songs I would include are all the long ones...

Civil War
Don't Cry
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
November Rain
Yesterdays
Estranged
Get In The Ring
Breakdown
Double Talkin' Jive
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
You Could Be Mine
Don't Damn Me  
Dead Horse
Coma

Cases could be made for Bad Apples, The Garden, Dust n' Bones and So Fine (Duff Sings!) as well.

That's really farkin' weird that you made this post, man, because just last week, I made a list for my own ultimate Illusion album:

1. Live and Let Die
 2. Don't Cry (Original)
 3. November Rain
 4. Coma
 5. Civil War
 6. Yesterdays
 7. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
 8. Breakdown
 9. Locomotive
10. Estranged
11. You Could Be Mine

Added up the track lengths, and got roughly 75 minutes, so I stopped there.  

And, eight of those tracks are over five minutes long--I could probably toss Coma, Breakdown, or Locomotive, and add Double Talkin' Jive, Dead Horse, and one other shorter track and be just as happy.  

If they could have trimmed everything down, and released just one album--holy crap, that would have been amazing.  But, as usual, Axl's over-indulgent, post-Appetite-success bloat, screwed everything up.

Anyway, here's the cover and the track-listing for the horrible one-disc record that you can find at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and other stores that are too frightened to handle the individual albums:

1. Live and Let Die
 2. Don't Cry (Original)
 3. You Ain't the First
 4. November Rain
 5. The Garden
 6. Dead Horse
 7. Civil War
 8. 14 Years
 9. Yesterdays
10. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
11. Estranged
12. Don't Cry (Alternate)

So, not only does this disc include both versions of Don't Cry, but it also has You Ain't the First--which is probably one of the most uninteresting songs on the two records.  Plus, this disc only comes out to around 64 minutes worth of music, and surely they could have found another ten minutes worth of (clean) tunes to put on.  That CD sucks.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 10:00 AM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 10:39 AM »
I could never leave off Coma, Breakdown or Locomotive sorry and I am pissed I forgot Live and Let Die.  Maybe that is the same quandry the left themselves in and just started making stuff up on the spot to fill in the gaps.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 12:37 PM »
I am a huge GnR fan.  Appetite was great, Lies ok and both UYIs were awesome.  Never got to see them live, but wished I had.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2003, 01:41 PM »
Two words:  "Rocket Queen"

One of the most underated and not played enough songs.  BTW, does anyone still find Appetite just as fresh as it was the day it was released?

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2003, 04:41 PM »
I LOVED those Guns N Roses albums.  Too bad they were shorted lived.  I doubt they will ever reunite.  I don't see how they are ever going to get that Chines Democracy album out.  Maybe before I die.  Maybe.  The Cubs have a better chance at making the World Series I think.  Ha-ha!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 07:48 AM »
What were you guys doing twelve years ago today?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2003, 09:57 AM »
Release of the UYI Discs?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2003, 10:53 AM »
Exactly.

September 17, 1991.  That date's pretty much burned into my brain.

All I had been listening to, for the past six months or so, was basically GN'R (with the exception of Skid Row's Slave to the Grind, which came out in June).  Be it Appetite, or Lies, or the three "new" songs ("Civil War", "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", and "You Could Be Mine").  Several rumored dates came and went, but they finally announced that September 17 was the big day.

The Monday before at school was spent talking about the new albums, the amazing new "Don't Cry" single and video, and since a local record store had announced that they were going to be doing a midnight release party--I spent several of my classes in determining who all I would be buying for, and which versions (CD or tape), and how much money it would all cost--nobody else's parents were gonna let them go to this thing.

(Somehow, I had convinced my mom to drive me--I was fifteen at the time--to the record store at midnight, which was no small task.  She's never been one for driving at night, and we lived on the outskirts of town, which meant that we wouldn't be back home until at least one in the morning when it was all said and done.  At first, I like to think that I was amazed that she agreed to take me to this thing, but then I get to thinking that she realized what a pain-in-the-ass I would have been if I didn't get to go that night.  I would have bitched the entire time until I got them the next day--that is, if I didn't skip school in the morning to get them.)

So, anyway, Mom took me to the party, and she and my sister stayed in the car as I went inside and joined the mob.  They were piping the new albums over the speakers, and I kept one eye on the boxes of the CDs I could see behind the counter, and the other eye on the clock, which was ever-so-slowly counting down to twelve A.M.

Finally, midnight hit, and I waited in line to buy my copies of the album.  Thinking back on it, I bought a set of tapes for me, a set of CDs for my best friend Brian, I think another set of tapes for someone I've forgotten, and, last but not least, a tape of the new Mariah Carey album, which also came out that day, for my then-girlfriend Amy (big Mariah fan).  I think I spent something like eighty or ninety dollars that night.

Went home, told Mom I'd "go to bed", and then I think I stayed up until three or four in the morning listening to the new albums.  Got up a couple of hours later, threw all my loot in my bookbag, and headed off to school.

Hooked Brian up with his two CDs (which were a late surprise birthday present) the first thing that morning, and then I think I spent the rest of the day bringing out my new tapes in every class period, showing them off--as most everybody else would have to wait until after school had gotten out to get their copies.

I don't know how many days weeks went by before I listened to something other than those albums.  I spent a lot of that time thinking about how GN'R was going to kick the crap out of Garth Brooks' new album (no small task here in his home state of Oklahoma) which came out a week before the Illusions did.  And while they were on the top of the charts for a few weeks, that was short-lived until, I believe, Garth regained the top spot.

And, just a week after September 17th, Nirvana quietly released Nevermind, which later went on to change the world, in just a few short months (and who's success was certainly a contributing factor to the implosion of GN'R just a couple of years later).

Well, ultimately, the Illusion albums weren't nearly what they could have been (or "it" should have been, as I detailed in an above post), but, they're still pretty good albums, and, at the time, it was a pretty monumental release.

Good times.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2003, 10:57 AM »
I only had a cassette player at the time, Dead Horse into Coma had that goofy tape eating sound, I about crapped my pants when I first heard that thinking my tape player had eaten my new tape!