Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130413 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2004, 12:50 PM »
My investment will now be worth $2 million by the time the CD CD gets released ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2004, 12:07 PM »
FYI...I did not buy the Greatest Hits Today

I did however listen to The Spaghetti Incident for the first time in a long ass time...even though they are all covers, I really like a couple of them...I have always liked SInce I Don't Have You, But Human Being has been going through my head all day now.  I also think they did a great job on Hair of the Dog...alas...this was the last we ever heard from this one time great band

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Yeah, I was gonna update this thread too, with the Greatest Hits release today, but I couldn't find a scan of the cover anywhere.  Oh well.

But there is other news to cover:

Our man Axl was just voted the #3 Craziest Pop Star Ever, by Blender magazine.

"Case History
Rose developed a loathing for authority as a child after his stepfather hit him for singing along to Barry Manilow's "Mandy".  Despite achieving global rock hegemony with 1987's Appetite for Destruction, all was not well in this redneck intellectual's jungle: He claimed Courtney Love tried to possess him at 1993's MTV awards, and he's still working on the follow-up to GN'R's album of punk covers, The Spaghetti Incident?, which was released 10 years ago.

Craziest Moment
After marrying Erin Everly in 1990, Rose bought a house in the Hollywood Hills and had two topiary elephants delivered by helicopter.  The couple never moved into the property.

He's So Crazy
"I'm trying to have a happy life here -- why do I keep getting in my own way with it?  What's going on here?"

Finishing ahead of Bill Bailey were Brian Wilson at #2, and, none other than Wacko Jacko himself at #1.

Congrats, Axl!  Esteemed company!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:28 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2004, 01:35 PM »
Why aren't you buying the Greatest Hits?  I picked it up, good stuff...Jungle, City, Child, November Rain, one of the greatest bands ever!  BTW anyone know if Metallica is going to come out with a Greatest Hits???
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2004, 06:18 PM »
I picked up the Greatest Hit today at Best Buy for $7.99! A great CD!!
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2004, 06:43 PM »
For those that have all of their other records, what is the incentive to purchase the Greatest Hits?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2004, 01:09 AM »
I'm going to pick it up because I don't own Spaghetti Incident or Lies. I might have to look at the tracklist again though. Maybe all the stuff on the Greatest Hits release is pulled from Appetite and UYI I&II. I'm not sure.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2004, 01:14 AM »
Here's the tracklisting:

"Welcome to the Jungle" - Appetite
"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Appetite
"Patience" - Lies
"Paradise City" - Appetite
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" - II
"Civil War" - II
"You Could Be Mine" - II
"Don't Cry" - I
"November Rain" - I
"Live and Let Die" - I
"Yesterdays" - II
"Ain't It Fun" - Spaghetti
"Since I Don't Have You" - Spaghetti
"Sympathy for the Devil" - Interview with a Vampire soundtrack

This package is pretty much par for the course.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2004, 02:21 AM »
Well, I might pick it up then. It's only $8.

I wish it had Estranged on it, that'd make it perfect for the car.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:22 AM by HMI »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2004, 11:45 AM »
GNR Pulls Out Of 'Rock In Rio' Fest

Guns N' Roses has canceled its scheduled May 30 headlining appearance at the Rock in Rio festival in Lisbon. In a statement, sole original member Axl Rose places the blame on guitarist Buckethead, who has apparently exited the lineup.

"The band has been put in an untenable position by guitarist Buckethead and his untimely departure," Rose says. "During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment -- despite being under contract -- creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence."

Rose cites Buckethead's interest in furthering a solo career first established with the 1992 release of a self-titled album on the Avant label. The masked artist, who is never seen in the flesh or without a KFC bucket on his head, will kick off a solo tour tomorrow (March 31) in Milwaukee supporting jam band Particle.

"It appears his plans were to secure a recording contract with Sanctuary Records which I encouraged my management to make available to him, quit GNR and to use his involvement in the upcoming Guns release to immediately promote his individual efforts," Rose says.

"There is not a member of this camp that is not hurt, upset and ultimately disappointed," Rose adds. "We as a whole definitely feel that we afforded Bucket every accommodation perhaps so much so that it may be that we, or more precisely, I may have done Guns a disservice and unintentionally allowed Guns to be put in this position."

The Rock in Rio appearance was to be the group's first since a disastrous 2002 comeback tour that was canceled with 13 dates remaining. "On behalf of Guns N' Roses and myself I apologize to the fans," Rose says. "The festival and its tradition mean a lot to me personally and I sincerely do not enjoy being robbed by one of our own of the opportunity to be the first artist to play it for the third time."

Rose admits that "there are obviously several issues to resolve" regarding Buckethead's longtime involvement and the band's long-awaited Geffen album "Chinese Democracy."

"In the meantime rather than dwelling on the negative, Guns will be moving forward," Rose says, "and surprisingly (without giving away any details) this unfortunate set of circumstances may have given us the opportunity to take our recording that one extra step further. Regardless we hope to announce a release date within the next few months."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2004, 11:47 AM »
Sez Axl:  "During his tenure with the band Buckethead has been inconsistent and erratic in both his behavior and commitment -- despite being under contract -- creating uncertainty and confusion and making it virtually impossible to move forward with recording, rehearsals and live plans with confidence."

You couldn't write this stuff.

It's always someone else's fault, isn't it, Axl?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2004, 03:37 PM »
When Matt posted the news on Buckethead I knew this was inevitble, as is the delay in Chinese Democracy.  Lousy Axl...Release Date in the next few months...pssshaaaw

Not to really get off topic again but...Pearl Jam toured a lot and released a record last year.  I remember right after the second big UYI tour and then when Spaghetti Incident coming out the fall of '93 thinking, well, I would think they should be able to crank out that new CD by the end of '94 and then tour for a couple of more years.  Did anyone really think that this was going to be the way it all went down.  Hell even in 1996 I was thinking there was still a chance they would get going.  Ugh, which is why I get nervous anytime I don't here anything on my favorite band and their plans for a while.  Will he turn into Axl?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2004, 06:59 PM »
Will he turn into Axl?

I don't know--is EV loco in la cabeza?  I don't think so--not as much as WAR, anyway. . .

What's funny, is that eventually, Chinese Democracy will come out.  And when it does, it's going to be so flat, and so unable to live up to the hype, that--well, that nothing.

It'll be just another footnote in the sad decline of what was once a promising career.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2004, 01:53 AM »
Jesus, Axl is one scary-looking MF.

Chinese Democracy will be greeted with the exact same response The Phantom Menace got: it won't live up to the hype.