Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 130459 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Here's a review of a Velvet Revolver show that was posted on the DVD Talk forums. . .

the Velvet Revolver tour begins....

I caught the Velvet Revolver show in St. Louis and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Scott Weiland came out in with an old-style police officer's hat on, a red tie and megaphone.

Slash even brought out the top hat at one point.

The band rolled through mostly originals as well as several G'n'R tunes including It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone and Used To Love Her.

They also played a couple STP songs.

Weiland came out in the crowd and had about five girls holding him up by the a** as he sat and sang. Later, he dove into the crowd and someone took his earpiece, which the band later stood on stage (with lights on) and offered to give free tickets to the KC show, backstage passes, and signed stuff for the person that returned the earpiece.

Weiland said they were recording the show in KC and couldn't do it without this piece of equipment (odd that they wouldn't have a backup).

Duff thanked the crowd for welcoming the boys back in town since GnR was banned in the early 90s after Axl Rose had an altercation between his boot and some guy's face I think.

Weiland danced, strutted, shimmied and the like most of the night, and occasionally he would lie down. They played a slow song and he said he wrote it about how he almost lost his wife, and but he got her back and he said "it was the best thing that ever happened to me."

Weiland also said "Take a good look boys and girls, because you're never going to see this again, at least not in this venue"

The place was firecode flipping packed, and tickets were being scalped for a chunk outside.

Weiland did a nice rendition of Used To Love Her and said how much nu-metal sucked and that they were gonna get back to "good blues-based American rock'n'roll"

Duff and Weiland were in phenomenal shape, both looked as if they were preparing for some sort of triathlon.

They had the volume jacked up extremely high also.

A band called Silvertide opened up and they signed with Clive Davis' J Records.

They have a classic rock sound with a lead guitarist who can absolutely tear it up. They were impressive. Silvertide opens for Van Halen after the VR tour wraps up.

VR was late (of course) and played for about 80 minutes.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Dang almost makes me want to hit the show tomorrow

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2004, 11:41 PM »
Here's their touring schedule from now until June 22nd. . .

Fri 05/14/04   Kansas City, KS  Memorial Hall  

Sat 05/15/04   Minneapolis, MN  Quest Club  

Wed 05/19/04   Chicago, IL  Riviera Theatre  

Thu 05/20/04   Detroit, MI  TBA  

Wed 05/26/04   New York, NY  Roseland  

Thu 05/27/04   Washington, DC  9:30 Club  

Fri 05/28/04   Philadelphia, PA  Electric Factory  

Sat 05/29/04   Boston, MA  Avalon  

Fri 06/04/04   Portland, OR  Roseland Theater  

Sat 06/05/04   Seattle, WA  Moore Theatre  

Mon 06/07/04   San Francisco, CA  The Warfield  

Tue 06/08/04   Los Angeles, CA  The Wiltern LG  

Wed 06/09/04   Los Angeles, CA  The Wiltern LG  

Fri 06/11/04   Las Vegas, NV  Hard Rock Hotel - The Joint  

Sun 06/13/04   Phoenix, AZ  Celebrity Theatre  

Thu 06/17/04   Austin, TX  Stubb's Barbeque  

Fri 06/18/04   Houston, TX  Verizon Wireless Theater  

Sat 06/19/04   Dallas, TX  Granada Theater  

Tue 06/22/04   Denver, CO  Fillmore Auditorium  

Pollstar

I'll be down for that Dallas show--hell yeah.  And that's like 180 miles away.

You're not gonna let these things like "wife" and "2 year old" and "newborn baby" stop you from going to a kick-ass rock n' roll show for a couple of hours, are you?

Besides, this is gonna be the closest you'll ever get to seeing the real Guns N' Roses.  That "Axl and Friends" tour from a couple of years ago--that don't count.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2004, 01:02 AM »
I'm not letting those things stop me, no, its my wife who would make sure "Physician Appointed Auto-Eroticist" becomes "Wife says you went to a ******* concert instead of staying home to take care of your two children so you can forget about any kind of nookie for the next 5 years Auto-Eroticist"
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 01:13 AM by OCB »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2004, 01:17 AM »
I'm not letting those things stop me, no, its my wife who would make sure "Physician Appointed Auto-Eroticist" becomes "Wife says you went to a ******* concert instead of staying home to take care of your two children so you can forget about any kind of nookie for the next 5 years Auto-Eroticist"

Man, I hate that kind of auto-eroticist.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2004, 01:23 AM »
I would hate to be one

Just came at a bad time, plus my two big Gn'R buddies were both busy this weekend as it is the Minnesota Fishing Opener as well.  I did ask them if they wanted to go and got shot down.  

Hopefully this doesn't go down as one of those I wish I would have went to the (GnR, Alice in Chains, Nirvana Stone Temple Pilots and Lalapalooza) type moments for me and I can catch them next go round

I am suprised though that they are playing a smaller club like that...there are bigger clubs in the Cities but I would think with some pub they could have been close to 1/2 arena type shows

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2004, 01:35 AM »
Just came at a bad time, plus my two big Gn'R buddies were both busy this weekend as it is the Minnesota Fishing Opener as well.  I did ask them if they wanted to go and got shot down.

Some "buddies" they are.  Fishing?  

Hopefully this doesn't go down as one of those I wish I would have went to the (GnR, Alice in Chains, Nirvana Stone Temple Pilots and Lalapalooza) type moments for me and I can catch them next go round

I hear you--both Nirvana and Pearl Jam rolled through town within a few weeks of each other in late '93--and oh how I regret not going to either one of those shows, especially after what happened about five months later. . .   :-[

I am suprised though that they are playing a smaller club like that...there are bigger clubs in the Cities but I would think with some pub they could have been close to 1/2 arena type shows

Well, I can only guess that maybe that's what Weiland was referring to from that show last night when he said "take a good look boys and girls, because you're never going to see this again, at least not in this venue".  Maybe he was saying that he thinks they'll become so big, that the next time they play St. Louis, they'll be in the Enormodome or something.

The place they're playing in Dallas--the Granada--is really tiny, too.  Their website says the max capacity is 800--but I'm thinking it's even less than that.  [namedrop](The Granada, of course, being the same place that I looked up Kim Gordon's skirt, rubbed shoulders with Liz Phair, and danced onstage with the Flaming Lips. . .)[/namedrop]

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2004, 10:13 AM »
Review from the show on Saturday

Velvet Revolver: New, yet it seems very ... familiar
Jim Meyer,  Special to the Star Tribune
May 17, 2004VELVET0517

The members of Velvet Revolver strongly deny that they are a preconceived supergroup, but there's no denying that the combined star power of Stone Temple Pilots singer Scott Weiland and Guns N' Roses guitar god Slash made for an unusually charged debut Saturday at Quest in Minneapolis. (Was there ever this much buzz about Slash's Snakepit?)

Velvet Revolver (including GNR bassist Duff McKagen and drummer Matt Sorum) is on a short, small-club tour promoting their debut CD, due out June 8. Their 45-minute set plus an encore of oldies was more energetic than innovative, but there is at least one reason for high expectations this year.

Velvet Revolver auditioned numerous vocalists, but made a wise (albeit risky) choice in the much-troubled, now-sober Weiland, who looked sharp in reflective shades, an airman's cap, tight jeans, velvet vest and scarf. He resembled Judas Priest singer Rob Halford prancing and posing like a cabaret dominatrix. He was half-naked before long, revealing a severely short haircut and a skeletal frame, and he darted around the stage like he was auditioning for Spider Man.

Despite the band having three members from GNR, the first three songs carried more STP trademarks. Before playing "Headspace," Weiland blasted negative rock critics and boasted about the new song's positive lyrics before turning the song into a classic Scott Weiland vocal showcase.

Perhaps fearful of losing the audience with unfamiliar material, VR broke into STP's "Crackerman" and one song later bashed out the GNR crowd-pleaser "It's So Easy." Playing a GNR classic revealed how Velvet Revolver's own material lacks similar hook appeal, but it also set the stage for the evening's centerpiece, "Fall to Pieces."

Introducing the song, Weiland praised a melody that Slash brought to the band, to which Weiland added the lyric about how drugs destroyed his happy home. The song, already slated as the band's next single, features the unmistakable Slash guitar tone and a melody heavily borrowed from "Sweet Child O' Mine." Obviously, they hope the song will do for VR what "Sweet Child" did for GNR: Make them huge. It better, because VR's lighter songs impressed more than their thudding rockers, such as the dumb "Big Machine" and the banal "Set Me Free."

The group returned for some encore fun, starting with a faithful rendition of GNR's "Used To Love Her" and "Mr. Brownstone," and ending with Nirvana's "Negative Creep." It was a familiar, high-volume finale to a short preview that was part steamroller, part roller coaster.

Jim Meyer is a freelance writer from Minneapolis.

smileyfaceguy

« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2004, 12:09 PM »
Lots of VR to catch next week:

May 24: Howard Stern Show
May 25: David Letterman Show
May 26: Roseland Ballroom, NYC (smileyfaceguy will be attending)
May 27: PBS Frontline Story

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Just to update smileyfaceguy's last post--watch for Velvet Revolver on Letterman this evening.  

(And a brief question of semantics:

Would it be kosher to refer to Velvet Revolver as "the Velvets"?  Or would that cause confusion between them and the Velvet Underground--a band that obviously deserves respect?  I'm thinking we should just let "the Velvets" continue to be a reference to VU, but at the same time, "Velvet Revolver" is a mouthful (five syllables!), and it's not like anybody's going to be referring to VU all that much around here. . .)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2004, 12:33 AM »
I liked that.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Me too...good mix of old STP (didn't much care for their sound post Tiny Music Shop Right Next Door to the Pope's Bedroom) and Gn'R

Nice use of Duff's vocal abilities

That song reminded me of one of the songs off of Core sort of a sped up version of Dead & Bloated perhaps or really sped up version of Where the River Goes

Good stuff, damn I'm mad I didn't go :'( :'( :'(  Stoopid Kids

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2004, 10:31 AM »
Lots of VR to catch next week:

May 24: Howard Stern Show
May 25: David Letterman Show
May 26: Roseland Ballroom, NYC (smileyfaceguy will be attending)
May 27: PBS Frontline Story

So how was it????

smileyfaceguy

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2004, 11:58 AM »
So how was it????

The PBS story?  It's not on until tonight.   ;)

smileyfaceguy

« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2004, 12:00 PM »
Oh, you meant he show?  It was f-in' awesome.  I’m not entirely sold on the new songs, and Scott Weiland doesn’t really do it for me, but the band as a whole rocks with the same rawness and authenticity you hear on Appetite.  Seeing Slash and Duff on stage together was surreal.  They played “It’s So Easy,” “Used To Love Her,” “Brownstone,” “Negative Creep,” and a couple songs I recognized as STP, but don’t know the names of.  I was hoping they would dig into the GNR bag a little deeper than they did (I would have busted a nut if they played “Nighttrain” or “Rocket Queen”).  All in all, the whole night felt like a GNR show, which is really all I was hoping for.

Now, I gotta go (really).

:)