Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 161686 times)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #210 on: September 1, 2005, 12:18 AM »
hmmm- hillbillies.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 1, 2005, 01:00 AM »
A couple of questions:

as demand continues to grow (China, SUV's, India etc...).

Why does everyone crap on SUVs all the time?  Yeah, they're big and largely pointless.  They're also a fraction of the market that is called Minivan.  They're large, often the same size or even heavier than many SUVs.  There are few, if any, four cylinders.  And they are a huge segment of the market relative to SUVs.  Did kids get bigger?  We had two kids and a dog and did fine with two or four door cars. 
\

I shouldn't have generalized by saying SUV's - what I was pointing at were cars that get 9, 12, 14 MPG.

The Ford Escape Hybrid gets over 30 - that's fine by me, but any time someone is crusing around in a car that gets 12 mpg (read, Escapade, H2) they might as well be driving 3 cars.  That kind of waste is sickening.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2005, 01:03 AM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 1, 2005, 01:34 AM »
It spiked here and I got to watch some hillbillies fight it out at a pump$2.85/gal. or so.

You mean they actually threw down at the pump? Scary.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #213 on: September 1, 2005, 02:43 AM »
Oh yes, and not a far cry from the Hatfields and McCoys as pictured above.

make the beards shorter and patchier, and turn the hats into mesh ballcaps, and you've got about what was duking it out.

The lines at that station went out onto the highway, like I said.  People were hogging in from both entrances, cutting in with their cars and sorta angling to force other people "out" of a pump they'd been waiting on...  Fight broke out.

I've noticed about 5 stations just within my 5 square mile area that have "pre-pay only" out on their pumps now too...  And I don't live in a high crime area or anything, but it seems things are going a bit awry at least where I am.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 1, 2005, 06:32 AM »
The lines were bad here late yesterday.  My brother waited in line for over an hour.  He had the pleasure of not only watching a few scuffles break out but also got to see the gas station attendant come out and change the price 2x.  The price went up $.40 while he was waiting.  By 6:00 most stations were down to 1 pump and limiting everyone to $10.00.   I remember when I was a kid and they were rationing gas.  You could only get gas on certain days based on the first letter of your last name.  I remember we had to sleep in the car while my parents waited in line for hours. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 1, 2005, 06:55 AM »
The lines were bad here late yesterday.  My brother waited in line for over an hour.  He had the pleasure of not only watching a few scuffles break out but also got to see the gas station attendant come out and change the price 2x.  The price went up $.40 while he was waiting.  By 6:00 most stations were down to 1 pump and limiting everyone to $10.00.   I remember when I was a kid and they were rationing gas.  You could only get gas on certain days based on the first letter of your last name.  I remember we had to sleep in the car while my parents waited in line for hours. 

I sure hope all this doesn't come to that.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 1, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Well I drove by a few gas stations this morning - nothing over 2.81 and no long lines...

I guess I'll fill up this afternoon before it jumps 50 more cents...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 1, 2005, 10:24 AM »
Cheapest gas in town is now at $3.19/gallon.  The highest I've seen so far is $3.41/gallon.  It sounds as if we'll go up at least another 50 cents/gallon by the end of next week, approaching $4 prices.  It went up twice yesterday alone.  Time to stay home, or start walking :).

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 1, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Gas by my house this morning was right around $2.80, but drive the half hour for work into Nashville and it's $3.30.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: September 1, 2005, 10:44 AM »
Man, $4 a gallon is pretty crazy when you think about it...  My car averages 20-24 MPG, so that's $1 every 5-6 miles I would travel! 

That's like $2 to get to work every day (luckily I only live 5-6 miles from work).  A few of my friends at work though travel 25-30 miles (each way) to work every day, so that'd work out 50-60 miles for a round trip or $10-12 every day for gas.   :o

Ugh, makes me glad I could bike it work every day if I had to...   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 1, 2005, 10:58 AM »
Agreed.  Fortunately I can walk to work - my girlfriend has to drive 3 miles each way to go to school though - which isn't too bad at all - but it certainly sucks. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 1, 2005, 11:25 AM »
If it comes to it, I can go up to walmart on public transportation, and buy a bycicle, and bike the 20 miles home. My last bike got stolen from behind my mom's house. It'll only take me an hour to bike to work, because it's all downhill. Problem is biking home.  :-\

Kevin

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 1, 2005, 12:19 PM »
I was in Boston this AM.  Saw gas at $4 a gallon.  Unfreakinbelievable.  My town ranges are 3.15 to 3.50.  I will easily be paing $100 a week or more now for gas.   

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 1, 2005, 12:50 PM »

Ugh, makes me glad I could bike it work every day if I had to...   :-\

Want to know why I'm just a generally bitter person?  My job was moved 60 miles away from its original point.  They didn't make me move but either I quit my job or my wife does.  We both like our jobs, we're both well paid and we both spent too much time in University.  I fill up usually 1.5 times a week.  That's $90 these days. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 1, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Jesus. I thought it was just because you were old.  :-\

$90 on fuel! I'd break down and cry at the pump. :'(

Kevin