Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 162052 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #285 on: September 22, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Rumours are now that if the hurricane hits the right place on the Texas coast, gas prices will soar to $1.70/liter ($6/gallon). 

Great, the gas giants have a new excuse for arbitrarily jacking up prices ::)  Filled both vehicles tonight, just in case.  People were lined up already :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 23, 2005, 06:54 AM »
I just want to direct some to what I posted earlier in this thread and also one over at RS.

Quote from: Chris_M
I've been around the oil business all my life, mainly because that is the career my dad chose.  He doesn't have anything to do with pricing and whatnot, but he did give me some interesting info about the demand for oil and why the price has jumped.

I'll type a bit here but I've got to get ready to go in a minute.  He said since 1978, there have been no refineries made in the United States.  Environmental groups have protested against it and laws have been passed that makes it virtually impossible to refine oil in the US.  Therefore we have to go overseas to purchase about 60% of what is in the US.  Obviously the other 40% is done here in the refineries we have in place.  If we could build refineries here, that would help with the cost of oil, a lot!!  Is there more oil in the US??  Most certainly yes, if environmental groups would allow for the drilling of it in certain areas, that woul help relieve some of the pain at the pump.  Recently, (can't remember the bill right now), a bill went through Congress authorizing drilling in Alaska.  Finally we can get into the oil fields we've wanted for years.  But, it could be years before we feel the effects of that simply because of the oil refinery problem.

Also, people talk about BIG oil companies.  There are only three of them, and there are no middle men in the business.  The 3 companies take the shipments from overseas, send it here on their own ships, offload, take it to the gas stations in their trucks.  No middle man there.  Another thing by dad brought up that I think some people have overlooked, we keep paying for gas.  (Of course, we don't have an option if we want to drive though.)  Until recently, there hasn't been a lot of loud complaining about the price. 

Oil companies know that we are willing to pay whatever we have for gas.  We live in a free market economy.  So, the companies can raise the price if they see fit and we have to pay it, because we need to.  Obviously we want lower prices, but the oil companies continue to make money because of good old supply and demand.  In my mind, both the consumer and the oil companies are the problem.  As consumers we haven't pushed hard enough for alternative fuels, and like any business in a free economy, the oil companies increased their prices.

I know some of you aren't going to be happy with this, but my dad has been in the oil business for 40 years so I'll believe what he has to say.  So don't bash what I've posted here.  I just wanted to get this bit of info out there for all to see.

Of course, there are other mitigating factors that go into the oil business, such as tax relief, but that is a discussion for another site.  I'm just breaking this info down from a good source into it's most simplistic form.  One other thing to consider...is the media creating a false panic??  Many people either don't possess the ability or don't care enough to educate themselves beyond what they see or hear on TV...but again, that's a discussion for some other time.  Therefore, they get this sense that gas is going to be almost impossible to find, and therefore rush to fill their tanks when they don't need it, thereby creating a true shortage, although one that should only last for a few days.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 23, 2005, 07:31 AM »
Prices in VA went down from $3.70 to $2.65  :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2005, 02:17 PM »
I paid $2.68/gallon today, so it's gone up about 10 cents.

I'm just waiting to see what the price will be tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.  ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 6, 2005, 07:02 AM »
Gas is around $3.09 here.  Saw a story on the news the other night that Charlotte has the 3rd highest prices in the country -- why, oh why? >:(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 6, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Up to $3.19 when I took my son to school this morning.  Up $.10 since yesterday at lunchtime >:(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 6, 2005, 10:46 AM »
My area is normally higher than most I've seen in this thread, but today I got it for $2.87, which is the best since Katrina.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 6, 2005, 10:56 AM »
How weird. Gas is "only" $2.85 here.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2005, 12:59 PM »
Lowest I've seen in Jersey is $2.61.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2005, 01:04 PM »
We're finally down to $2.79 (cheapest we've seen) to $2.99 in the Charlotte area.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:06 PM by tamidala »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 15, 2005, 03:33 PM »
The norm for regular in Fairfax is $2.96.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2005, 11:07 PM »
We're down below $2.50 in Harrisburg, now.  Maybe I can start going on toy hunts again.  I was conserving during the price spike.  I went two weeks without filling up right after Katrina.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 18, 2005, 05:27 PM »
Wow, what a bargain - $2.39!!

Woot!

:P

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 18, 2005, 05:36 PM »
We're down below $2.50 in Harrisburg, now. 
With you being a Steeler's fan and all, I know its gotta be Harrisburg, PA, but since I'm in Harrisburg, NC I had to double check :)  Though my next door neighbor is a HUGE Steelers fan -- he makes at least one trek up a year for a game.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #299 on: October 18, 2005, 06:39 PM »
Yes, Harrisburg PA.  But yeah, we have die-hards all over.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj